konalavadome

Redneck Pension - a Yodasdad and Jenna collaboration

• 42 Replies

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/lollypop-guild/redneck-pension-a-yodasdad-and-jenna-collaboration/s-8P7jd

We got it in before the deadline! Thanks again for your work on this, M. Your time and talent are much appreciated and working with you on this was a pleasure. ;)

Please let us know what you think.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »
No probs, pleasure.

Someone is likely to lynch you round here though if you don't post the lyrics  ;D

Well maybe not an actual lynching. I think those few days I've just spent in the Deep South have got to me.

Yodasdad

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:13:47 PM »
LOL! I do have a tendency for those small oversights, don't I? Seeing as how I would like to keep my head attached to my body, I shall comply without due haste:

V1
Got a spot of land,
Fishing lake
More bass and crappies than I can take

V2
Case of beer
Fishing gear
Honey, get this tick off of my ear

C1
That's how I'm living
On my redneck pension
I got all I need here
I don't fear no recessions

My own apple pie dream
Far off the mainstream
Living high on wild hogs
On my redneck pension

V3
Hunting grounds,
Ammo rounds,
White tail, rabbits,
with four coonhounds

Chorus 2
That's how I'm living
On my redneck pension
I got all I need here
I don't fear no recessions

My own apple pie dream
Far off the mainstream
Living high on wild hogs
On my redneck pension

Bridge 

(Uncle Sam can kiss my ash,
if he finds my hidden sour mash) <- Is this closer to a proper middle 8?

Bought my land in cold, hard cash
During that there economic crash
Bankers turned my investments into trash
And their foreclosures burned my stash
I had to work under the table
To keep my family stable
Rich man loopholes aid the scam
Hiding it from Uncle Sam

That's right!

C.3
Now I'm living the dream
on my redneck pension
I had to beg, borrow, steal
To own this possession

My own apple pie dream
far off the mainstream,
I'm living free and easy
On my redneck pension

Outro
On my redneck pension
My lifelong obsession
My last confession.

Ya'll come back now. Ya hear?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:29:07 AM by Jenna »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
This is just superb guys... I love it.  I'm putting my hat back on just so i can take it off to you.
Fun lyrics, lots of country touches to put it firmly in the genre but without getting cliched, and YD's ever excellent vocals... a winning combination. Yee haa!
It's all too beautiful.

Royston

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 12:00:38 AM »
Hi

I enjoy most genres of music including country and this has certainly got what it takes the lyrics are fun and well crafted and the music and vocal content complements this You've both done very well here a very nice song.

Good luck with this.

Royston 

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
Love the lyrics!  Always like a sense of humour. :)  The song itself is a real foot stomper - must admit country's not usually my thing (perhaps when mixed with a bit of techno a la Alabama 3), but as this is satirising it, it makes it all the more listenable.  :D

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »
As this was my first go around this rodeo, it was truly exciting to hear Yodasdad give the lyrics life. I posted it on my website at SongU, pitched it to a major country artist, and it had 85 listens tallied within three hours. I'm not sure who all of those people were (or maybe just a few listening multiple times) but it took me by surprise.

Thank you for the well wishes and kind words. Hearing them from this group makes it all the more encouraging.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 11:45:20 PM »
Yo YD and Jenna

It's a mighty fine song and the overall sound is great,very professional sounding.

I like the dry humour in the lyrical content,a welcome relief from some of the maudlin guff so often perpetrated by the new country gang.

One to be proud of.  :)

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 06:30:54 AM »
Hi;

Very nice song - the lyrics really make me picture the scenery. classic pop rock melodies.
it has a good groove; i like the drum section.

kudos

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »

Excellent collab guys.

I have always envied and admired the ability to write music
 around lyrics.  With me it's always music first, then look for
 lyrics to suit  ::)  So. hats off to Yoda ;D Lovin the gtr, especially
 the slidey stuff in the background....inspired ;D

Great lyrics Jenna ;D Perfect country........
 Nice to see you getting 'stuck in' with the forum, and good luck
 with pitching this one.

Loved it guys....more please ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
The Yoda hit machine keeps on giving! Great collaboration both. I love the lyrics to this one. Is it just me, or are the lyrics really thought provoking and uplifting. I wish I was a redneck after listening to this! Maybe I can be one day!!!!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
I thought the song was beautifully constructed & I do love lyrics like this with short snappy lines & rhymes..
The melody was instantly memorable, like I already knew it & knew where it was going..
I dont know what a redneck pension is, or a lot of the lyrics but it all sounds quite exciting running around drinking beer & shooting things  :)
but then the bridge seemed to get serious & political & seemed a bit at odds with the rest?
Good luck with it...but will Nashville listen to a English accent tho? I thought you had to have the exaggerated Wild West accent & cowboy acessories to get in?

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »
Weeell howdy doody folks,

Thaaanks for the comments y'all, appreciayted muuuchly.

Tina, waddayu meeen English aaahceynt. Aah wus born aaan raaiyesd down bar the bayou! Arm gowna gittu for thayt.

erhemm.

Actually that's a very good point. I'd thought that myself and nearly didn't attempt the song at all for fear of not being able to pull off country in an authentic enough manner. With the very tight deadline that Jenna wanted to meet though, there wasn't really the choice of another singer.

If anyone round here thinks they could add some authenticity with a Southern accent, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Yodasdad

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »
@Binladeda - Thank you. I'm glad to have found you here and hoping I'm not too chatty for you all and wearing out my welcome.  :o

@Mickey - This one gave me a laugh, the idea that we're inspiring future rednecks.

@Tina - Good point on the bridge section. Do you think we ought to remove the term bankers and change it up a little - like "my investments turned to trash, bank foreclosures burned my stash"? As for the rest of the middle, the whole section will resonate with the intended audience in the political sense. In the rural areas where country music is most popular, they're more anti-tax and anti-government than the rest of the nation. I could go into more detail but am not sure anyone would be interested in hearing our internal politics here.

I barely heard an English accent in the recording. It showed up only in a couple of spots and to my ears, it came through as if he might be someone from the New England region of the states - New York, Boston, etc. That and one of our biggest country stars is an Aussie. Nobody seems to mind at all. Cowboys boots, on the other hand, are a requirement, and a rebel flag, hunting rifle, straw hat, pickup truck and hound dog.

Well, YD, if you'd like, I can rework the middle since I'm feeling froggy and ready to git 'er done. ;)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »
Jenna,

What about somethin a bit more Like this then for the bridge?

Might work better for HW too.

I don't need bankers, got my stash
I earned each dollar, made it last
I had to work under the table
But kept my family stable
Rich men steal from Uncle Sam
But what I've got makes me the wealthy man

Yodasdad