konalavadome

Drone

• 12 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »
Flipping drones, they get everywhere. Last week my dog chased one which unfortunately crash landed and broke.  The poor little lad wasn't too happy but it made my day  :) Of course there's lots of sinister uses these days as well  :(

Hope you enjoy  :)

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/drone

Drone

You're flying high ahead of me
In a world that I can't see
You're little camera's switched on
Taking on some one on one
Over the streets you fly
A cylindrical spy in the sky
Who needs privacy ?

Tell me, tell me, tell me what do you see ?
Are you watching us, watching you, live on TV
Got a loan from the laundromat
Making money out of cleaning cash
Drone Drone, what do you see

You're flying right ahead of me
Only I know what you see
We're the team to work this con
You and me with you're camera on
Base to drone, come in please
Hope you make it through the money trees
You're the spy in the sky

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
Great stuff!  Really unusual combination of those synthy-glockenspielly sounds and the rocky guitar.  Your voice sounds ace in this... a smattering of gravel.  I'll never get bored of your chord progressions I think, always something fresh in them.  Cool lyrics too, I don't understand the part about money laundering but I don't think I need to! Smart middle 8 too around 2:45, it was almost proggy.
It's all too beautiful.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 02:29:23 AM »
Hi John

Some interesting progressions in this one - and your getting damn good with those synths.
I liked this - it's a bit heavy on the (vocal) reverb for me - but seems to suit the song.
The money laundering bit was lost on me and because it is repeated it made me feel a bit stupid for not getting it.
I got issues  ;D ;D

Another good write from the pomp machine!
Paul
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:53:29 PM by Paulski »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
Lord now its tank tops, still better than irritating avatars :-)

Anyway I digress. Great tune and really powerful vocals, you're right in a groove on these recent tunes, fab.

Inventive but coherent arrangement. Strong tune and catchy chorus. Liked the twin guitars, a little Muse in there.   

Lots to like to like here
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Yo Pomps.

Another choon from the production line behemoth that is pompeyjazz.  :D

How do ya do it man?

There are folk who can write a song in multiple genres,but there are precious few who excel in this discipline.

Marvellous both in idea and execution,John.  8)

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »
Hahaha.  Just got my son a drone for his birthday! :)  It's great fun!!! :D

But enough about the subject matter. Another good listen from your good self.  Particularly like the production in the middle bit - the kind of phased guitar or whatever it is.  And is that a glockenspeil I hear...

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
Another superbly offbeat topic for the lyrics, John!
(I find most lyrics so dreadfully cliched that I dont even bother to listen to them)
There was one of these drone things over my garden on Sunday & of course you automatically think theyre filming you! My husband said why would they want to film you? which wasnt what I wanted to hear when I thought about it!
Anyway this was another example of your unique mix n match style where you persuade all these different separates to share the same cubicle & come out looking fabulous!
I liked the weird percussive helicopter noises & the glockenspiel gave it a sort of fairy tale feel
& I kept thinking if Bowie was alive hed have put Major Tom in a drone by now!  
I wasnt sure how the laundromat got in this ...unless the drone was from there & they were checking how clean my top was for advertising purposes? :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »
Great subject matter! A deeply sinister opportunity that the powers that be were all over like a cheap suit.

I remember the story of Obama meeting every week to select a bunch of folks from a "kill list" to be assassinated by drone strike in foreign countries. Way to go, dude  8) :'(

A very enjoyable listen with your usual fascinating mix of influences.

Fab vocals and I especially liked the twin guitar part too.

They say it's to keep our country safe...thanks for giving them a little kick in the knackers  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
I hear so much David Bowie in this. I loved the line and change in perspective, "Are you watching me watching you watch us on TV?" It's brilliant. This isn't something you hear in music. It's downright pithy.

Obama didn't curry any favors from the American public on his use of drone strikes either, Mr. Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the walking oxymoron. We don't see them in our neighborhood, but the community colleges are offering training programs for the coming jobs program that will have us spying on each other. The City of Chicago is adopting their use in the police department.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
Really like the driving feel and the powerful vocal. Sparkly keys and an 80s-ish feel to those drums. BVs add some great attack.

I see where you were going with the segue (?) between the "normal" uses and the money-laundering but it does seem a slight mental stretch for your average listener...!

Nice stuff indeed (again!)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »
This is great Pompey. I love the sound effects that give it an otherworldly edge and I can detect a bit of Kenny Rogers,  early Pink Floyd and Bowie in here. The guitars and FX work really well too. Full marks for the subject matter and lyrics too. First song I've ever heard about Drones!

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
Heyhey pompeyjazz!

Haha, I love this! The Bowie-esq songwriting and the Dylan-like vocals really has my heart.

The instrumentation is really clever! Almost on the brink of being worthy of Twin Peaks IMO. I had a blast listening to this!

I have nothing to add on the songwriting or anything else. Really solid piece of music!

With love
Tymm

Mutrins

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
Flipping drones, they get everywhere. Last week my dog chased one which unfortunately crash landed and broke.  The poor little lad wasn't too happy but it made my day  :) Of course there's lots of sinister uses these days as well  :(

Hope you enjoy  :)

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/drone

Drone

You're flying high ahead of me
In a world that I can't see
You're little camera's switched on
Taking on some one on one
Over the streets you fly
A cylindrical spy in the sky
Who needs privacy ?

You're flying right ahead of me
Only I know what you see
We're the team to work this con
You and me with you're camera on
Base to drone, come in please
Hope you make it through the money trees
You're the spy in the sky

Super cool. Love the slick, clean production. And your vocals sound top notch.

Such an interesting melody.....it's pretty hypnotizing. LOVE the background vocals...sounding like a choir!

I'm very impressed!

Micky