konalavadome

My Sister Christopher and I (Summer Song Competition entry)

• 18 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
Thanks for listening and for the very kind reviews. Unfortunately, I'm unable to hang around the forum much at the moment as I'll soon be relocating from my home town and that's  involving so much planning and work.  Thanks again.

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »
"Born to be free ... but she chose me" - for me that's total genius: it's a personal thank you; but I imagine also very relatable to many parents.

Super stuff. The storytelling detail reminds me a bit of Paul Simon.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 03:40:49 AM »
Strengths:
The first verse really sets the stage well for me. And the chorus steps in and tells me what the song is about.

I'm obsessive about following rules UNLESS there is a reason to break them, so I notice how it starts with a solid rhyme scheme in the first verse, which kind of trips and falls in the second verse. Now, if you're intention is to set a solid and stable stage with the first verse and then have it get wobbly and in danger of falling in the second verse, this would be the perfect technique. And it does look like that's what happens here. We're all happy and playing at hte beach in the first verse, but the second verse points out that "her life was derailed", so that introduces some unstability. So it works for me.

Weaknesses:
That same obsession gets me with grammar, so the line "for my sister, Chris and I" is jarring for me, since correct grammar would be "for my sister, Chris and me". I, personally, would find a way to make it work and be grammatically correct, but I know that isn't as important to some people as it is to me. Which is okay.

One line feels particularly weak to me: "Her time on this earth well spent." I think there's a much stronger line out there somewhere for that spot, but unfortunately, I don't know what it is, so...

These are just my opinions, of course, so don't give them a thought unless you agree with them.

Vicki

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
Hey Paul this has got really nice movement to it and what a fantastic sound. Perfect tempo.

I like the way you kill the backing beat for the final part but think you should bring it back in maybe after the first 'for my sister' bit or maybe just before that or sometime anyway....just a thought.

I don't want to overrule Vicki's previous comment but it just so happens that I especially noticed the line 'her time on earth well spent' because of the nice rhyme of 'earth' with 'surf' from the previous line.

I also disagree with her (sorry about this Vicki!) about the grammar thing because I like the sound of the 'I' ending to the line better than the sound of 'me'....I think perfect grammar can be overlooked in some cases in favour of getting something that sings better....only my opinion though.

I do think though that this last part is the weakest bit of the song if you don't mind me saying....the rest of it set such a high standard....I think you could improve the final section.....loved the song.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer