konalavadome

How long were you writing music before you finished your first song?

• 18 Replies

james96555

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »
When I started learning guitar I spent probably the first 6 months getting to grips with playing the instrument and learning bits amount music in general. I probably spent the next year after that coming up with various parts of songs (a guitar riff, a chord progression) but never was able to put a whole song together even though I wanted to. Until finally it all came together and I managed to get a whole song together. After that it became a lot easier and I was able to write lots more songs (and better songs). I think its just a case of getting that first one done. Takes away the thinking that its something you'll never be able to do, or at least that's how I found it.

Best of luck  ;D

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 11:47:31 PM »
Martin posted a thread about start to finish, how many unfinished songs do you have and I had to laugh because I don't have a single finished song. But I've only been at this since early this year, so I'm learning a lot of skills at once that pertain to the process. Plus, I've been doing this along with taking a college program in another field, so it's taking me awhile to polish anything. Still, I thought it would be fun to see how long it took to write your first finished song.

Don't know about anyone else, but "finished" is a funny concept.  Is any song that is imperfect actually "finished?"  But you have to stop somewhere. 

Even when you DO "stop somewhere" ten years down the road when your skills and perspectives have grown and/or changed, you can "further finish" a song that had been "stopped somewhere." 

I have exactly zero "finished songs."  And at the same time I have about 800 "finished songs" that were "stopped somewhere." 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Max32

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »
I was writing for other people 5 years before i decided to get the balls to at least try and do something by myself  8)
It is what it is.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
For me it was more the other way around, I wrote many songs before I could write music.

CPM