konalavadome

Kindred Souls featuring WickedDeeds and OldButYet

• 20 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:40:41 AM »
Hi guys - newest effort - yet another ballad :)
Pat and Paul kindly offered to help out on this one.
Wanted it to grow - but maybe went over the top towards the end ... ;D

Any and all comments are appreciated  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/kindred-souls

Kindred Souls
Copyright © 2017 Tennyson Road Music
1st Harmony: Paul Vasey
Narration: Pat Feely

Mother's heart silently grieving
For the child war has stole
Mother's arms quietly reaching
Reaching for a kindred soul

Kindred souls across the oceans
Kindred hearts across the seas
Kindred minds sharing the notion
That this world can live in peace

Father pounds the constitution
Sending soldiers to the scene
But he can found this revolution
By shutting down his war machine

Can you feel the ties that bind us?
Can you hear our freedom song?
We can leave this hate behind us
Count on love to make us strong

Kindred minds sharing the notion..
This world can live in peace.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:48:05 PM by Paulski »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 03:31:14 AM »
I've already listened to this many times and I know I love it. I like the way it builds and, with the topic it covers, it could be one of those songs that all the big stars gather together to sing to raise money. The chorus can go on and on and on and everybody can sing along. Yeah.

I think you already know the one line that catches me up...ending with "has stole", but I don't know what you could do to replace it and keep your rhyme scheme with "kindred soul". I suppose you could do a distant "near" rhyme: "For the child [she] lost to war". The rest is wonderful and it all goes together beautifully, in my opinion.

Vicki

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »
Yo Paul,Paul and Pat.

F*ck my old boots,this one blew me right out of the room.  8)

A great idea,expertly implemented and performed. To simply call it anthemic doesn't come close to doing it justice. Your lead vocals blend beautifully with the backing vox and the use of Pat for the narration part is inspired. I'd like a little automation on Pat's part,just where the song starts to build,he gets a little drowned out.

Y'all hit it for six with this one.  :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
I've heard this before, I don't know where, maybe you posted an earlier version or I heard it on your channel or something but I've definitely heard the melody and piano before.

This flows beautifully, the kind of melody that leaves me thinking there's nowhere else that it could or should have gone.

The harmonies blend nicely, the spoken part worked but I thought lacked a little definition, maybe a little brightening or eq work to bring it out.

Overall though a splendid piece.

Yodasdad

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
Hello Paul,

Great job my friend - tell me that you did eq the piano again because it sounds much warmer to my ears now.  If you didn't, then they are shot to pieces :-)

It was a pleasure to be involved in this song.  Well done with the writing and production.  Anytime you would like a backing vocal, then please don't hesitate to pm me.

Paul

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:23:27 PM »
Beautiful piano ballad song again.

Love those harmonies and all your voices complement each other very well.

Sandeep

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »
Nice one, thought this had a hymn-like quality in the first half... could hear a phantom gospel choir joining in.  And really nice build in the latter stages.  I liked the purity of message too. Only edits I'd suggest have already been mentioned - "stolen" not "stole" (I reckon the half rhyme would still work), and bring forward the spoken word part in the mix. Again, this deserves to be in a film, like your last one.
It's all too beautiful.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 12:08:58 AM »
Paul. Another masterpiece. You've now in my opinion wrote 2 songs back to back which are outstanding. Can't fault any of this and as a result I'm afraid I can't offer anything constructive except to say, hope this rich vein of form continues. Cheers Micky

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 11:42:26 PM »
Oh dear this is difficult...
I didnt realy get into this,
musically I didnt think it was one of your best ..& youve written some corkers lately..
Lyrically I felt it was overly sentimental & naïve....like a Coca cola advert where if we all drink Coke, suddenly the world is full of love & wonder!
Im very sorry Paul, its just the way I am, I dont want to be told love will conquer hate in this world bcos only a complete fool would believe that, & when its coated with a highly emotional, schmaltzy backing then alarm bells ring
I know a lot of your recent songs could be called schmaltzy & I loved them, so I hope you wont take offence
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 12:12:25 AM »
Hi

I love the piano chords on this one, and the singing/harmonies are great. It feels a bit like a hymn in some places.
The only bit I not so keen on was the spoken bit.

Otherwise, a nice rousing ballad.

James

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »

@CaliaMoko - thanks Vicki - yes you are right about stole - thought I could get away with it but I've been in denial :) I think I can sing stolen in there - making the "en" part sound like an "and" before the next line.

@Skub Hey Vance - very kind of you. Paul and Pat really lifted this IMHCO. I'll fix that spot where Pat gets drowned out - don't want to lose a kindred soul that way.  ;D Glad you enjoyed it  ;D

@Yodasdad - cheers YD - yes I had it posted in WIP/Collabs for a while - hopefully you heard it there and not in an existing song  ;D

@Wicked Deeds - hey Paul Yes the piano is EQ'd differently as per your solid advice. Well actually I achieved the same thing by mastering the quiet parts differently than the louder ones where the compression is cranked. Loved your harmonies on this and I can't thank you enough  ;D

@Movin Flavour  - thanks Sandeep!

@PaulyX - cheers Paul - yes good advice on the spoken part. Thanks for the kind words.

@mickyplankton - Hi Mickey - thanks for the kind comments. Don't know if I'm on a roll or not - but hope you're right  ;D

@tina m  - schmaltzy  ??!! I resemble that remark!  :(  I gave up trying to be cool years ago (it's very freeing  ;D) But you must be punished for disparaging an entire genre so ... you are sentenced to listen to "We Are the World" over and over until you call Ralph on the big white phone.  ;D ;D.

@jamesh - Hi James and thanks for that. I suppose the spoken bits are a taste thing. The chord progression in the verses was fun to work out - glad it came across OK.

Thanks to all who listened  ;D ;D

Oldbutyet

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 10:44:38 PM »
Did someone mention coke, this reminds me of the time me and my wife was on holidays in the beautiful city of Porto, we were walking around and the weather was very hot so we decided to go into this old style cafe to buy some coke, there was an old man standing behind the counter and i says to him "i want coke please"  to my surprise the look on his face turns to anger and he replies in broken english "don't sell coke" which was strange because behind him was a fridge with bottles of coke in it, so with a smile i said in broken english (why the broken english i don't know) but i say to him "you do, you do sell coke" and then he got very angry and points to the door and shouts "get out, get out, don't sell no coke" it was then my wife hits me on the shoulder and whispers in my ear "he thinks you mean coke, the drug" with a red face and embarrassing smile i says "coca cola" pointing at the fridge, to my relief he rise his arms and smiles and says "ah coca cola, yes we sell coca cola" i says "can i have two please"

True story, but anyway.

Paul really delighted to be a part of this, thank you, and i think Vicki right about the gather together on stage feel to it, great song, oh and by the way, if there is a gather together on stage, i need my own limousine and dressing room, with a fridge   ;D

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
Hi Paul,

Loving the piano work in this - just flows effortlessly.
The harmony vocal sound that comes in is brill.
Nice addition of strings and Pat's spoken word.

I particularly like these lyrics:

Father pounds the constitution
Sending soldiers to the scene
But he can found this revolution
By shutting down his war machine

Nice one.

Digger

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
top quality production all round

great piano and vocals...very well written lyrics, with a great message

it just occurred to me that presenting lyrics like this in a song like this is far more likely to have an effect on far more people than the way someone like me would have set out to try and write something like this.

it's very accessible with great appeal...well done, Paulski and Co.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
@Oldbutyet - cheers Pat - good story about coke - there's a song there my friend  ;D I suppose you'll want that fridge full of beer too - I'll see if we can get some Coors.. I keep hearing you sound like Dylan on this - I tell people Bob and I go way back. Don't know each other but we both go way back.  ;D ;D

@digger72 - thanks digger and my fingers thank you for that piano comment.  ;D ;D Appreciate the kind words. Now if I had your production skillz that would be something.

@PaulAds - cheers Paul - lyrics were a  it on the preachy side I know but sometimes ya gotta preach  ;D Thankful for the generous review.

And thanks again to all who took the time to listen and comment!
Paul