Same Circus, Different Clown

• 23 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »
You can use the hook as many times as you like when it's as good as this! I remember getting this from SoundCloud a while back and being knocked out by it.

That line  'frightened  of chairs' makes total sense but I did do a double take / wonder if it came a bit later or n the song whether it would blend in better?

Anyhow, it's just a cool song that totally works - though I'm also tempted by Paulski's suggestion to make it 'clowns'.

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 06:49:15 AM »
Love! Love the rockin' beat, the pep, the lyrics, the hook was perfect everywhere you used it. Definitely not overdone. It seemed to propel the song forward with each repeat. I could see myself singing and dancing to this one in the kitchen. Fun tune.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »
Lots of energy here.  This is a catch number from the onset  I don’t often write political song - maybe offer the odd comment re my observations so it’s good to see someone else voicing their opinions.  I really like this - a little bit of Costello shines through and that can’t be a bad think.  Great skill is evident in the chorus build up.  Great writing. 

Excellent!

Paul

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
Hi Paul,

Good tune. Liked the guitar tones.
I got  Elvis Costello meets Eddie & The Hot Rods. That sort of era punk/New Wave. A great time for music.

The hook works very well - so very apt.

Digger

Ashes for Dreams

• Busker
    • Official Homepage
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »
Lol, love the lyrics! And now that we know the outcome we can crown the British world champions of the noble art of messing things up  ;D

This is is the kind of song you do soooooo well! Very authentic sounding both performance and mix. I could give a few suggestions regarding the latter (e.g. that washy ride) but I think changing the mix would ruin the feel of the track so I'd say leave it be.

For some reason I know feel a strong desire to go and listen to London Calling.....
ashesfordreams.com
soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams
facebook.com/ashesfordreams
youtube.com/channel/UCB4f9GngKS_mhLKyk5Nptnw

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
that's fun.
reminds me of elvis costello

perceptive lyrics, delivered without much fuss

Well done!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »
Aha! An opportunity to sneak in and say a quick "thank you" to all for commenting  :)

They used to say that in a Russian circus...the clown would be the KGB man...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 06:34:17 AM »
Hi;

good mix for using distorted guitars; a little more air in the mix (more high frequencies) or leave it as it is.
The song is very good - reminds me of Libertines (loved them)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
Hi Paul!

Better late then never for a comment I guess. I'm doing my best to at least listen to the summer competition songs at the moment.

It's good, it's repetitive but to my ears it screams for cholesterol. Fat straight from the grease trap. I turned the volume up a notch beyond library-friendly on my laptop and it wasn't heavy enough for the disregard conveyed in the lyrics. (DIY tip of the day: Use soft clipping instead of compressors. All over the s**t).

The subject is of course relevant. Laws, guns and money are blunt instruments of society. But because of that the more of a reason to give a carp.

Martin