Known as Tymm(Beppe) - Rymdfärjan (Astronaut)

• 12 Replies

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
Hey! I made this tune called Rymdfärjan.

It's a short story of the short and painful death of an astronaut who got lost in space. It's not too bloody and stuff but I though the concept worked in this fashion!

I have not used myself of any choruses so this song is pretty much like storytelling (if you please).

Here is the link:
https://soundcloud.com/knownastymm/rymdfarjan-head-implosion

Here are the lyrics:

Ships without sails
Sky without clouds
Light without warmth
Stars without hope

Float away
Tumble in pain

I can't breathe
My lugns are bleeding
I will die alone

Bloated head
This skin I just want to shed

My eyes are popping
My heart is stopping
I will die in space

"A thousand winds blow in harmony
I am merely a part of it all
I have not passed away
I have only slipped into the next room
Do not weep for me
Cause I am not gone
I just floated away"

MUCH LOVE
KNOWN AS TYMM
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:15:54 AM by knownasbeppe »

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
Hej! (Hi!)

This is great!
That you choose to call it 'Rymdfärjan' instead of something in English, except Astronaut, is to me a hint aimed towards the Swedish synth pioneers of the 60's and 70's. Their names are long since forgotten. If I ever knew them.

Musically the closest thing I've heard is Radiohead. Some days I really love them! The free and beautiful vocals in the style of Bjork or in some chases even our own(?) Laleh. It's great to hear people just breathe and sing.

I kind of liked that the music just flowed instead of returning to a chorus over and over.

In what way do you accomplish that wonderful distortion? Is it digital, what DAW/plugin? Or is it some sort of (good old) voltage shortage?

PS. I'm pretty sure you've posted a song before but I don't remember if I listened to it. Now I have to check. DS.

Martin

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:28 PM »
omg  are you bruce or beppe or tymm or tommy? I hope your mother knows! :)
anyway this is brilliant! love the drums & the soaring vocal & it sounds like youve got a mouse in your spaceship at one point!
wow it goes realy weird at the end with that distorted effect

tbh you are lucky I listened bcos I dont normally review peoples songs if they dont do their share of  reviewing! So your mother needs to have a word with you about that!  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
whoever you are this is very atmospheric. A bona fide space oddity. vocals are superb and also remind me of Radio Head. music is moody too in a good way. In terms of production I think it's top notch but in my opinion the snare drum should come lower in the mix or be more restrained in its use. it's a bit jarring compared to the other more ambient elements. looking forward to hearing more from you.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:40:55 PM »
I think you achieved exactly what you set out to do... the atmosphere (probably the wrong word here!) is unique, spacy and dramatic. Great contrast between the smooth synth lines and the violence of everything else. The distortion works really well. Vocal is really expressive and conveys the situation.

The end cocktail of deathly poetry (combined from various sources I think?) gives it a bit of thoughtfulness and universality and even a bit of positivity... I liked (could have done with being a little easier to hear)

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
Hej! (Hi!)

This is great!
That you choose to call it 'Rymdfärjan' instead of something in English, except Astronaut, is to me a hint aimed towards the Swedish synth pioneers of the 60's and 70's. Their names are long since forgotten. If I ever knew them.

Musically the closest thing I've heard is Radiohead. Some days I really love them! The free and beautiful vocals in the style of Bjork or in some chases even our own(?) Laleh. It's great to hear people just breathe and sing.

I kind of liked that the music just flowed instead of returning to a chorus over and over.

In what way do you accomplish that wonderful distortion? Is it digital, what DAW/plugin? Or is it some sort of (good old) voltage shortage?

PS. I'm pretty sure you've posted a song before but I don't remember if I listened to it. Now I have to check. DS.

Martin

Tjena! (Waddap)

Thank you for your kind words. I can't say the title is inspired by the old Swedish synth pioneers, rather just the feeling I had while making this song. I thought to myself: "Hmmm, ja, rymdfärjan låter som ett passande namn". Very simple, hehe.

About the distortion:
I use FabFilters Saturn distorion on the "warm tube" setting.. I rasied drive and lowerd treble in the end to make it fade out in a distorted nightmare (if you wish to call it that).

Tack så mycket :)

omg  are you bruce or beppe or tymm or tommy? I hope your mother knows! :)
anyway this is brilliant! love the drums & the soaring vocal & it sounds like youve got a mouse in your spaceship at one point!
wow it goes realy weird at the end with that distorted effect

tbh you are lucky I listened bcos I dont normally review peoples songs if they dont do their share of  reviewing! So your mother needs to have a word with you about that!  :)

I am forever changing, like the rest of humanity (mohaha). Nah, but seriously, I did a rebranding for this act since it got a bit of recognition during the past months or so! Felt Tymm was a better fit than Beppe :=)

I usually do my fair share of reviewing acually! Check my profile :D Doing some right now also.

Thank you for listening!

Thank you to eeverybody who listend to my track! It makes me really happy to read all the kind words.

Much love
Tymm

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »
Hey Tymm.

The start of the song fits the space theme very well.

The vocals have that tortured style common in Indian music. I love the way your voice slides easily into falsetto and back again,like a young Bono.

The distortion at the end of the piece,I understand the concept,but found it a little disconcerting..I thought I'd blown my headphones!  :D

An interesting song.  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:28:41 PM »
Great atmospheric Skandi music at it's best. Where did you get that frigging voice from ? The distortion I appreciated but it did bruise my poor old lugs a bit. Great stuff

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
Yeah, really super atmospheric piece.  Radiohead and Sigur Ros have a baby that grows up to be better than either of them.
Really smooth integration of instruments with your excellent vocals.  I really loved the use of the breathing sample as a kind of percussion.
Please post some more (when you've finished all your reviewing...)
It's all too beautiful.

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »
Hey Tymm.

The start of the song fits the space theme very well.

The vocals have that tortured style common in Indian music. I love the way your voice slides easily into falsetto and back again,like a young Bono.

The distortion at the end of the piece,I understand the concept,but found it a little disconcerting..I thought I'd blown my headphones!  :D

An interesting song.  :)

Hehe, sorry about the disconcerning feeling! It's limited so I (think) it wont blow any speakers- I guess I will have to answer a few angry emails in that case, hoho..!

Thank you for your kind words mister. I have to say though that I don't see the connection to Indian music hehe!

Great atmospheric Skandi music at it's best. Where did you get that frigging voice from ? The distortion I appreciated but it did bruise my poor old lugs a bit. Great stuff

Thank you! And sorry (hehe)!

Yeah, really super atmospheric piece.  Radiohead and Sigur Ros have a baby that grows up to be better than either of them.
Really smooth integration of instruments with your excellent vocals.  I really loved the use of the breathing sample as a kind of percussion.
Please post some more (when you've finished all your reviewing...)

I will post something this coming week so stay tuned! And thank you. If you listen closly you can acutually hear me getting light-headed from breathing so heavily ;)

All with love
Tymm

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 06:04:03 AM »
Hey there Tymm.....very entertaining and fun to listen to.
An excellent recording of a man's last breath in the outters of space.
I did not really enjoy the image of his eyes bleeding, though  ;)
Truly, some cool stuff!
                                          8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »
Hi mate

Well I listened to this through the competitions thread and at first what like 'Hmm OK that's interesting...' and knew on second listen this would grow on me and true enough it did. It's original and inventive and very cleverly done. So I wanted to check the lyrics so came here and my goodness!! There's something about this that just captivated me instantly. Knowing the song was about the last moment of an astronaut at space really struck me and I think the music and lyrics captured it perfectly. Something harrowing and yet so transfixing about this track. Great stuff mate

Darren

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »
Hi,

I think you've used the lyrics and music to capture the atmosphere of this scene unfolding really well.

I can't really say much more because it's a little out of my area of expertise but it's well crafted and enjoyable.

Yodasdad