konalavadome

New Indie demo just recorded. Please have a listen!

• 5 Replies

leetmendez

• Busker
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
HI,

Just uploaded a new indie demo yesterday. Recorded at home using Audacity. If you have a spare 5 minutes please take a listen.

Thanks!

Lee

https://soundcloud.com/user-599154357/dear-life-holding-on-for-by-colchester-singer-songwriter-lee-mendez

XTREEMMAK

• Busker
    • Key Jay Online
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »
It was nice, not necessarily my cup of tea though tbh.

A couple of timing issues throughout (such as one of the delays in the second verse). Could use some work in broadening the rhythm section; can't tell if there is a kick or not (if there is, I can't feel it). Could also use some more low end support for a wider feel. On an upside, I do like some of the guitar ambiances; could be pushed more to the sides though especially on the hooks. Since it has sort of an airy feel to it, you could express more with texture pads or a wider rhythm guitar line during the hooks to make those explode a bit and be a bit different than the verses.

Overall, a nice demo. Still needs work but not a bad start.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:08:44 PM by XTREEMMAK »
Official Website:
http://keyjayonline.com

My other Sites:
http://keyjaycompound.com

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »
Hi Lee!

FIRST: You have to post the lyrics to the songs you post.

I like your song! It has some sort of energy. It carries emotions.
There's not that much going on. But enough too keep it interesting.
I'm a fan of the band Suede and your song has some of their vibe IMO.

Keep letting Audacity drive you crazy coz with results like this it must in
someway be worth it.  ;)

Martin

leetmendez

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
Thanks for taking a listen. Yes I agree it's purely a demo to get my idea across to people. I'm not a producer by any accounts so just trying to mix it best I can as I hear it.

There isn't a kick drum on it simply as the electronic drum kit I use it awful. I tried to add a kick drum but it sounder so tinny. No bass whatsoever so thought it better to leave it out at the moment.

When you say the guitars could be pushed to the side more do you mean pan them wider? I've panned most of them as wide as possible already. As I said I'm not a producer though so probably got the wrong end of the stick!

It was nice, not necessarily my cup of tea though tbh.

A couple of timing issues throughout (such as one of the delays in the second verse). Could use some work in broadening the rhythm section; can't tell if there is a kick or not (if there is, I can't feel it). Could also use some more low end support for a wider feel. On an upside, I do like some of the guitar ambiances; could be pushed more to the sides though especially on the hooks. Since it has sort of an airy feel to it, you could express more with texture pads or a wider rhythm guitar line during the hooks to make those explode a bit and be a bit different than the verses.

Overall, a nice demo. Still needs work but not a bad start.

leetmendez

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the listen. Yes I'm into the whole 90's Britpop scene so I know Suede well! I'm happy you compared the song to theirs! Sorry I had no idea about posting lyrics. Will do it going forward.

I love Audacity considering it's free but wish I could invest in something more hardcore going forward. One day when I get some money together it will happen!

Hi Lee!

FIRST: You have to post the lyrics to the songs you post.

I like your song! It has some sort of energy. It carries emotions.
There's not that much going on. But enough too keep it interesting.
I'm a fan of the band Suede and your song has some of their vibe IMO.

Keep letting Audacity drive you crazy coz with results like this it must in
someway be worth it.  ;)

Martin

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
...Sorry I had no idea about posting lyrics. Will do it going forward....
I recommend clicking the "Modify" button below your original post and adding the lyrics into this one.

I did the same as you when I first became active in the forum. I started posting songs without reading the guidelines.  ;D

I'll try to get back to have a listen to this when I have more time. Meanwhile, welcome to the forum! I see you just joined us in June. :)