konalavadome

Here Comes Summer (Summer Song Competition Entry)

• 30 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »
Yo good folks,I don't often do competitions,but on this occasion the title suggestion left me utterly void of any possible idea,so that in itself was a challenge!  :D

Thinking I can't write a song about that,was enough to spur me to make an effort.

My contribution centres around the hopes and dreams of a Continental holiday,but staying in the UK..yeah,dream on bro.  :D

My inner cynic riles against the mawkish and the cheese-filled humorous,resulting in the sound clip below.

I'm on my own in this one,but Boydie  worked his magic in the final master.

Enjoy....hopefully.  ;D

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/here-comes-summer-boydie-master/s-ymQ0w

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:18:43 PM »
Ha ha!

Loved it, Davy!

Captures the tragic-comedy of the pasty folks crushed summer dreams when they really ought to know better than to get their hopes up.

Reminded me of a couple of John Cooper Clarke lines

"The rain whips the promenade
It drips on chips that turn to lard"

Great jaunty yet despondent delivery...you did a great job of riding two horses there.

Vocals reminded me of Iggy Pop a little.

Cheered me up a'plenty :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Oldbutyet

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »
Yeah i like this i can see you and your band on stage on a beach playing this and the rain pouring down, great imagery, you should make a video, there'll be plenty of days when the rain will pour.

Sounds great Boydie done a great job, radio friendly, real cool song   8)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:32:08 PM »
Davy this is fabulous!
It is just so poppy & catchy & irresistible, & I didnt know you even knew those words!  :)
I love the weather forecast bit, & the variations on the chorus near the end (before the real chorus itself comes back in), were beautifully managed to keep us hanging on for that moreish singalong bit.....
& while all this lovely stuff was going on, you got your chance to moan & be miserable ;D

Guitar playing was terrific of course & you make those notes float about like they were feathers
I loved it all & its the best thing youve done on your own without your band
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
Love it.  If Tom Petty had been born in Scunthorpe rather than Florida, he'd have written this.  Guitar work was lovely and the vibrato in your voice when you sing "rain..." at 1:20 is top.  Just hope it isn't a prediction for 2017.
It's all too beautiful.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
Vince,
Lots to like on this fine piece of pop.
Interesting chords progression underpinned by the solid rhythm provides backdrop for your lyrics and vocals.
Love the intermission and ending.
Got a touch of talking heads with the big O.
Cool
 :):-)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »
This was great Davy. A real slick laid back feel with a dollop of attitude. I could hear the Big O influences in there as well. As ever, I love the little guitar licks that you drop in. Lyrics, creative, ironic and inventive. Another summer smash  :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
Hi Skub, Roy Orbison meets Tom Petty! Great feel to this song, captures the British focus on weather and trying to have a good time in the rain.
Good work mate,
Cheers
Jamie

Andyb

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
Great little tune, thought nirvana intro and then it went all tom petty. I realise by the lyrics this was a bit tongue  in cheek but that shouldn't take away from what is at heart a really good song. I loved the subtle BVs and it has been really well produced - I can't had any improvements as they aren't needed

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »
Nice summer tune mate. Your guitar playing reminds me of Mark Knopfler in parts...really nice laid back guitar!! The overall feel of the song was nice and laid back and chill and your vocal sat nicely in there. The lyrics are great (and funny...)

I've listened a few times now and this is really catchy. The Ohh ohhh is really nice. All in all fab work mate

Thanks

Darren

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:26 PM »
Cool opening - indie/country feel - nice mix of genres with some nice lyrical touches - another great entry :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »
PaulAds

Ta Paul...Iggy eh? There's a first for me! I'll be stripping off on stage next and slathering myself with peanut butter!  :D

Oldbutyet

Cheers Pat. You wouldn't want to watch any video I made!  ;D

tina m

I love it when you use all the right words in the right order,Tina. Fabulous,terrific,catchy,irresistible,they all work for me.  :D

PaulyX

Heh,heh,it's a safe prediction for any summer in Co.Antrim.  ;D

Neil C

Thanks Neil,yer a wee dear.  ;)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »
Great tune

Love those guitars...

hints of Roy Orbison..in both guitars and vocals.

Cool sound affects

Sandeep

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 10:28:14 PM »
Well I for one can relate to the lyrics and sentiment in this, good ole Blighty.   

Loved the subtle organ at the beginning, I'd have liked to hear this featured in a less subtle way later on.

Great sound overall with some crystal clear geetars.

Upbeat, tongue in cheek fun.

Great stuff.

Yodasdad

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »
Hi

Cool song.
Liked the breakdown into the spoken part.
The vocal harmonies are really good.
There was a couple of times the guitar seemed to leap out of the mix a bit too much for me e.g. 46 seconds.
Captures a summery mood for sure.

Digger