Why do YOU write songs?

• 39 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 25, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »

{takes a swig of Drambuie on the rocks - sidles up to the bartender..}

About 15 years ago, my kids had all grown up and moved out on their own.
I was getting pretty familiar with computer software from my job and had more time for hobbies.
I kept hearing about how friends and ppl on-line were doing home recordings of their own songs.
So I thought I'd write a few songs and try to learn the ins and outs of recording.
I posted a few on soundcloud and joined this and a few other forums.
One day my teenaged niece asked me out of the blue "Why are you doing that?"
Not "I liked your song" or "You suck" but "Why are you doing that?"

Trouble is, I didn't have an answer for her.
Why am I doing this? Why does anyone do this?
There's little to no money in it, it takes time from other things, a song can be a real uncooperative pain in the ass  ;D Why?

I do have a theory or two - but thought I'd ask you guys first - Why do YOU write songs?

Paul

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »
Numerous reasons which, when added together, becomes kind of compelling.

I guess the main ones are, firstly, that there is something magic about music. Maybe literally magic. Something about the vibrations and how certain sounds, in certain orders, can really change how one feels or perceives the world. As long as I can remember I've listened to and played music. And someone actually composed every bit of that music so it was a natural progression to want to dabble in that side of things myself. It's also chance to say something about how one sees the world - always a good thing to do as we all see things slightly differently. For me, part of that is trying to make sense of the world, of life, of people and of situations.

Secondly (or is that thirdly?), I love stories. Being able to write songs means there's an outlet for stories that don't quite cut it as a novel, or a short, or even as limerick. There are certain stories that work best as a song.

Next, songwriters are just so cool - be it Dylan or Lennon, Kristofferson or Prine, whomever - who wouldn't want to go in search of some of that cool?

Then, if you're out there gigging and playing other people's songs there comes a time when you just want to try out this thing, see if you've got anything within you that others like, make those gigs that bit more special, personal, original. There comes a moment when playing other people's songs starts to become a bit too juke-box-ish - so you twist their songs inside out, come up with new arrangements, new styles. You play and pay tribute to your heroes. But there's nothing like laying it on the line yourself, opening up your heart and soul, as it were.

Then finally there's the itch. As most people of sound mind would say, this is a heart-breaking, soul-destroying, road to nowhere. It'll get you no money, it'll use up your time. The gigs will pay less than those tribute band gigs ( a lot less money ). You could better use your time watching soap operas and footie - at least you'd have something to talk to your co-workers about in the morning. They - the one's that know - will tell you, if you don't have to do it, then don't do it. You'll be a lot happier. And that's the really reason we do it - we have no choice. We have an itch and it has to be scratched.

That's me, anyway.
Derek
West Country Country Boy

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:27:09 PM »
Hi,

I'm not sure why I have written songs in the past - just because I felt I have something to say I suppose or maybe for catharsis

I know I'm not much good at it but I have zero talent/expressive ability in any other artistic area so I'm stuck with it I guess!

I normally apologise to anyone in earshot!  :)

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »
Good question  :)

increasingly, nowadays, i want to tell a story...i've always loved poetry and short stories...and i love my news, history (alternative history, sometimes) and current affairs...so i figured i'd write about those kind of things...without the wish to tell the stories, i doubt i'd bother...i'm also a bit of a contrarian...  ::)

it's a fine line, i guess, as a lot of people are turned off by those kind of subjects...and i sometimes worry about becoming the forum bore when it comes to the things i tend to write about...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Gill

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »
I've always been fascinated with music, especially how a melody comes to existence with the sequence of musical notes that could be the difference between "good" and "bad". To me, a melody and meaningful lyrics, can create a heartfelt and memorable feeling. So I create songs to help every person experience that very feeling I do. And although the words become repetitive, and the melody dies out, the very feelings a song once made you feel, will always stay within!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »
Where do I start. I've been writing songs since I was six. My family still have the extremely embarrassing reel to reel recordings along with the budgie in the background. I played in club bands from about the age of 13 and always had zillions of ideas for songs but then punk came along and I joined a band when I was 17 and for 5 to 6 years wrote shit loads of songs. Then along came real life, work.... Throughout that time I constantly had songs in my head but never did anything with them. Roll forward about 25 years and one scary life changling experience later it was time to get all that stuff out of my head and on to something more physical. Music is my therapy, release, inspiration and probably first and last love. I don't do music with a view to anything remotely commercial but love the collaboration stuff on the forum and have had a wonderful experience getting to where I am now after 2 years home recording

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:24:54 PM »
I've been a songwriter for 35 years.  I initially wrote for the very shallow reasons of attaining fame and fortune but I soon realised that was not my calling.  I didn't promote my work for the majority of my life.  I now realise the true value of my writing. It helped me through some very difficult stages in my life, contributed to my education, my confidence, it helped me to explore and understand love and loss  - that's true! now it's a part of me.  It's a cool hobby that allows me to comment about my time here on earth. My children will one day play my music when they are grown men and I think get a true and honest sense of who I am, how I felt and what my dreams were.  maybe it will help them to see that they too share many of the same thoughts and feelings.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 07:45:34 AM »
I guess I love music, it's been all around me and in my DNA. I always would thump the piano, try to play an instrument and have the radio on.
Looking back I wanted to be in the Beatles, or Slade etc. Bands were cool and punk attitude was anyone could. So I started in the late 70's and haven't stopped since.
Why, I love the creativeness, making something out of nothing. The craft and collaborating. And it's a great reward to get a reaction from others and very relaxing.
Nowadays it's part of me, it's my main pastime. There is nothing like the creative rush as you start to write.
I know I'm never going to be famous but I want to be the best at as I can.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »

Why do I write songs........well, when I was young I wanted to
 do this.

and now I want to do this.

The way I see it is that it's a natural progression if you play an
 instrument.  What else are you going to do.  Sure you can make
 a living playing other peoples songs or teaching, or many other
 ways within the industry I suppose.  But at the end of the day, when
 you come home and pick up your instrument  :o What do you do....
 practice your scales, or write songs.  For me, writing was always
 the best way of practicing and it is always fun and inspiring, and
 as others have said...great therapy.

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Its fun.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
Its fun.
No. It's not. It's work.
Nobody likes writing. But everyone likes having written.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
Its fun.
No. It's not. It's work.

That's a viewpoint. I would be diametrically opposed to that because I enjoy everything about the creation process,from the embryonic idea to the fully realised result. I love the way a song will take it's own course,regardless of the author's intention and assume a life of it's own.

I fundamentally disagree with your original statement and I feel by your reply,you are trying for the hobby horse of a 'win' song,but have forgotten the joy of creation.

Poor you.  :(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:50:43 PM by Skub »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »
Its only work surely if you get paid for it!

Anyway, I write songs bcos its more fun than talking about writing them  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 09:04:08 PM »
Its fun.
No. It's not. It's work.

That's a viewpoint. I would be diametrically opposed to that because I enjoy everything about the creation process,from the embryonic idea to the fully realised result. I love the way a song will take it's own course,regardless of the author's intention and assume a life of it's own.

I fundementlaly disagree with your original statement and I feel by your reply,you are trying for the hobby horse of a 'win' song,but have forgotten the joy of creation.

Poor you.  :(
The "Nobody likes writing..." thing actually was originally said by Truman Capote (I think). At any rate it was just my attempt at being a smartass. I do that.
But, for real, writing IS hard work. That's not to say that you can't enjoy the work. And, I actually do enjoy the process most of the time. Sometimes, however, it is really frustrating.

Back to the original question: why do I write?
I don't know.
I think the simple answer is (and getting back to my original quip): it makes me feel good to finish a song and know that I brought something into the world that did not exist before. Knowing that there is something new to sing and, hopefully, something new for other people to sing, as well, if all goes well.
I love songs. I love music. And I love that I can create them. It just feels good.

That's about as honest as I can be.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »

The "Nobody likes writing..." thing actually was originally said by Truman Capote (I think). At any rate it was just my attempt at being a smartass. I do that.
But, for real, writing IS hard work. That's not to say that you can't enjoy the work. And, I actually do enjoy the process most of the time. Sometimes, however, it is really frustrating.

Back to the original question: why do I write?
I don't know.
I think the simple answer is (and getting back to my original quip): it makes me feel good to finish a song and know that I brought something into the world that did not exist before. Knowing that there is something new to sing and, hopefully, something new for other people to sing, as well, if all goes well.
I love songs. I love music. And I love that I can create them. It just feels good.

That's about as honest as I can be.

That's the Pop we know and love,now.  :D