konalavadome

My project name/album cover artwork - opinions

• 3 Replies

RJDG14

• Busker
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:51:31 AM »
So over the past year I've been practising at the guitar, and a whole new array of influences have greatly helped me to improve my songwriting song. Influenced by the likes of Mission of Burma, The Wedding Present, Husker Du, Wire, Idlewild, REM and Big Country (to name a few), I've decided I've come up with enough ideas that I plan to record a raw sounding demo album, probably by myself with the aid of a virtual drum program, by the end of the year.

My ethos is particularly influenced by Mission of Burma, who recorded raw sounding music circa-1980 yet influenced a ton of artists, and melodically I've been greatly influenced by them as well as by the other bands I mentioned (mostly Indie or Post-Punk groups). I've found I can capture a raw, youthful sound which differs from the overproduced music of this decade that I can't seem to relate to, and which can inspire other teenagers who hear it to start up bands of their own.

It took me a while to think of names, and I've settled upon Millmead, which was the name of the street I lived on until I was 4 years old. I've made two mock covers (front and back) which demonstrate the sort of cover appearance I was thinking of. The B&W picture on the back was taken by me round the back of the street I named the project after. Also, the lettering on the front cover was achieved using a Russian stencil sheet I aquired, and I was able to mix and match letters accordingly to create something that was understandable in English yet distinctive looking.

So here are the mockups of the front/back covers. This example is known as "EP17", partly because it's supposed to be an unpolished low-fi EP released in 2017, and it could also mean "Episode 17" which could be referring to the fits I sometimes have at the age of 17, and could also refer to all these things I've kept promising to get round to and never did, or did exceptionally late.

Front:
https://pre02.deviantart.net/eb7b/th/pre/i/2017/143/4/8/millmead_front_by_gourlish-dba7wnd.jpg

Back:
https://pre03.deviantart.net/918d/th/pre/i/2017/143/3/4/millmead_back_by_gourlish-dba7wnp.jpg

My main question is what genre you would guess this was based purely on the cover, and can you define an approximate year or decade that you would have guessed it was from, if not 2017?

Gill

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
Nice covers. I'd probably go with Hard rock or heavy metal in around 1990  ;)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »
Yeah I'd have guessed British indie early 90s, something quirky John Peel would have played... Half-man Half Biscuit etc.
It's all too beautiful.

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
I think the covers are very nice, the only criticism I have is that the name Millmead is very difficult to read, you may want to change the font, unless that is what you were going for

Mike