konalavadome

new song-Part of you

• 16 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
hi all, haven't been around much recently, for three reasons. My band have been very busy (for us!) with gigs every week for the past month, also i've been suffering from tennis elbow on both arms ( who knew?) and I haven't played tennis for years ;). This has made playing and practice difficult and painful, and last but not least i had a 'melt down' when I was finishing this song about a month ago. I got to the last stage of recording and recorded the outro guitar solo, which was ok apart from an unfortunate harmonic when I inadvertently hit an open string. So, I deleted it and re-recorded it perfectly, only to be hit by the dreaded latency issue. I tried everything to sort it, and ended up nearly giving it all up! A month later having cooled down I went back to it and copied and pasted all the required tracks into a new project did all the mixing and mastering with the same number of tracks and plug ins and hey presto no latency! WTF! Anyway here it is ::).

All constructive comments welcome!

Cheers
Jamie

I'm musing on the future of AI and robotics :o.

https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/part-of-you

Part of you

hello, I'm trying to figure it out, just who you are
And will there be a time it won't matter anymore
You are so beautiful, too wonderful to touch
It somehow feels so wrong that I want your love so much

You don't need anything and I want everything
And when I dream at night your'e underneath my wings
I can't tell what you think , you read my every move
We don't know where we'll end and that's the simple truth

I'm part of you, your'e part of me, your'e everything I wanted to be
Your'e part of me, I'm part of you , your'e part of everything I do

I wonder what you feel and if you really care
When I look into your'e eyes what sins are hiding there?

When you realise the power you could have
Will it be too late, I'll get what I deserve
I can't tell what you think, you read my every move
We don't know where we'll end and that's the simple truth

Your'e part of me........

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:45:37 PM »
Hi Jamie!

I'm afraid I don't have so much to comment on.
It's a good song. The sound, and based on the theme
of the song it's not so hard to figure it's intentional, but
I find it a bit sterile and metallic.

Good that the solo worked out. It's nice.

Martin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
Hi Jamie.  Oh no, computer meltdown, all your ideas and you can't get to them, so frustrating. Your songs are always so melodic and you have a knack for great chord changes.  This was sort of mellow and fluffy in a wonderful seventies way. Thought it was great  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:09:20 AM »
Ah, this song was like a warm bath.  I really like the vocal treatment... sort of CSNY feel.  Is it an effect or are you singing harmonies?  Very impressive either way.  Also liked the more aggressive guitar line under the chorus - just gave it enough edge to stop the mellowness from getting too much.
It's all too beautiful.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
Yo Jamie.
Wonderfully layered vocals here. Evocative yet not derivative.
A thoroughly enjoyable listen. The ending was rather sudden, maybe a fade instead?
I've had my own bother with random latency and still haven't found a reason.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
Hi Jamie.

Nice track, agree with others, like the layered vocal style...

IMHO...could do with being a bit more dynamic in sections but great work chap....Liked it.

Oh, Yeh computers.......BAAAhh, I have felt your pain there many times as have others...

Well done for not getting out the large hammer and showing it whos boss.

Andy

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 07:54:10 PM »
Beautiful melody.

Love that leading bass.

Soothing and thought provoking.

A great listen.

Sandeep

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 08:24:11 PM »
I love the vocals, you sound like a cloud full of angels auditioning for Yes
& some of the melody lines were exquisite , but others were a bit more ordinary, so I felt it couldve been  better
It did sort of drift along, which was nice, but I was waiting for God to give those angels a rocket for drifting too much, so a bit of contrast wouldve been good for the song I think  :)
Nice guitar solo! tho I think the sound you used was a little unforgiving & someof the  bent notes didnt sound totally right
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »
Hi all,thanks for listening!

Hi Martin, glad you liked the song. My wife makes the same comment as you, referring to the vocal sounds. It's not intentional. I use compression , EQ and reverb. It's probably the reverb or over use of it that does it ???.

Hi John, ' mellow, fluffy and great'.... I'll take it cheers!

Hi PX, it's there are two vocals all the way through in harmony, though each of the sections has a different harmony! I'll send you a towel to dry off :o.

Cheers guys it's appreciated!
Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 06:21:55 PM »
 Hi all, thanks for listening!

Hi Skub, cheers matey! I just don't get this latency thing, I've got the logic prox bible and I can't find the answers. Maybe I'll,have to go back to religion :o. Glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Andy, you're an engineer you must have the answer to this latency thing?  ;). I did have the hammer out just couldn't bring myself to the coupe de grace :o.

Hi Sandeep, others have mentioned my bass sound on this and other songs I've done. I'll have to stick to that winning formula! Glad you got something from it!

Cheers guys, thanks for the feedback!

Jamie

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
Hi Jamie

I think this is one of those songs that I enjoyed better on my second listen :P (that's a compliment - some songs are instantly catchy, others grow in your psyche and this is a grower). As other's have said the vocals are lovely and I think the lyrics really suit the track. The songs bobs along wonderfully - I personally felt the tone of the bass could be a little rounder (is that the word?).

There's a section that goes 'I wonder, wonder...' and the vocal here takes a little turn and I really like this...felt it added a change.

The overdriven guitar at the chorus is a really nice addition and the solo is lovely. As Tina mentioned the tone of the guitar was very unforgiving and some of the bends sounded slightly wiffy.

Overall a great track. Nice work!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 03:03:09 AM »
Hi Jamie

Your characteristic smooth progressions and lovely vocals.
I liked this one a lot too.
Maybe shave a bit off the length - and I was wondering what a total breakdown with no percussion or meter would have sounded like mid-song. Probably wouldn't have worked...  ;D

Good work!
Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
first off...i love the bass  :)

sweet vocals and lovely harmonies

i got a really melancholy feel from it

i thought it ended really suddenly and i wanted it to go on a bit longer...then i realised it was already quite long...not sure what else could be done there...i didn't think there was anywhere it could have ended earlier...

lovely tune  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
A very enjoyable listen, I was getting shades of pink floyd at times.

I enjoyed the instrumentation and blend of sounds. It felt like a warm blanket wrapped around me although I think personally I would have preferred the bass a bit more bottomy/less toppy and the pad/strings/choir type sounds a bit more prominent and maybe swelling. This would have just tucked the blanket down the sides and maybe added a nice hot water bottle for me.

The chorus wasn't where I was expecting things to go but it was a nice contrast. I think it might work to bring this in earlier if possible though rather than around the 2 min mark?

Overall, nicely done. Now back it up to prevent future hair loss.

Yodasdad

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »
Jamie,
This is a really nice, it washes over you with a mellow other worldliness.
The pace is just right and your vocals sound fab.
Enjoyed the guitar at the ending too
Really like this
 :)
neil

songwriter of no repute..