Suit Among the Shorts

• 19 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »
Hey Adam,

interesting selection of chords.  I really like the simplicity of the lyrics.  Not unlike Roddy Frame - he’s one of the best writers on the planet in my opinion.   Your introduction to the post made every thing crystal clear.  I love the quirky experimental section whilst still maintaining the spirit of the song.  Cool backing vocals towards the end tnd also strings.  Fine title my friend!

Very enjoyable. 

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »
Adam,
Good intro, liked the lyrics. 'Doing my duty between the duty free' :-) and one i can relate to..
Liked the ambitious vocal backing. Liked the viola
Feel like it could take some some backing on after the 1st chorus? Maybe just snare and bass.
It perhaps could de with a touch of pruning as its fairly long.
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
Very good Adam...really enjoyed the trip....well...not sure about the cello thing or whatever it was in that last chorus...but I liked it going through the outro.

Didn't find it too long at all.

Thought I liked the verses best until that chorus began to get into me.....all the lines are good there. Especially like the way it goes down on 'can't take it with you'...2nd line nice melody there...and great going up on the punchline.

Interesting bridge and it worked! Nice vocal bits here.

Quite a daring venture which clearly didn't totally work for everybody but I applaud it anyway! I don't think it needed more instrumentation coming in....those melodies carried it for me and the introduction of the backing vocals in the second chorus changed that up enough for me....what might have been a possibility was to have more voices singing the whole of the last chorus....a group singing kind of thing to make the choruses grow bigger as the song progresses....that might have eased the cello for me too (though I have to say that it didn't seem so stark on second listen....maybe it's a tad loud through the chorus there....maybe it's just me!)

Good one!

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 05:59:49 PM »
Sorry for the bump but really wanted to thank everyone - this forum's comments are all the more valuable to me when there are some things that work well and some things that work less well... So this one is going back to WIP (after the Summer competition!) and the challenge will be to lose some of the self-indulgent or mis-judged bits without making the good bits less effective.

I am hoping that the result will be a huge step forward; and also that some will take time to come back to it and see where it has travelled...

So I won't go into every specific comment (though PaulAds, drums, really?!) but want you to know I am enthused to take all the input and move things forward.

Thanks all!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 06:59:10 PM »
Yeah...really  :)

I'd quite like to do a version of this...if you'd let me loose with it, just give me a shout.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter