WOULD IT HELP?

• 9 Replies

Ashes for Dreams

• Busker
    • Official Homepage
« on: June 11, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
So, here is the second release from Ashes for Dreams. This time it is darker, harder and louder so mind your speakers.
All and any feedback appreciated.

Edit: video removed  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams/would-it-help

Verse 1
You say go take a walk
The air will do you good
You pour me water
You feed me healthy food

You book me in for treatments
Let music sooth my ears
You organise my minutes
Even schedule time for tears

Chorus
Will it help if I let you guide me through
….if I stumble after you
Will it close my eyes to darkness
And my heart to pain
Will it help me sleep again

Verse 2:
You say lets talk about it
You say don't keep it in
Introverts are dangerous
To withhold would be a sin

Against friendship, against trust
Against you, against us
See the light  sharing
Fills the void, it really must

Chorus
….if I stumble after you
And my heart to pain

Bridge:
When will the curtains open
When will I lift my head
And not see yesterday
But see tomorrow instead

Chorus
….if I stumble after you
And my heart to pain
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:49:42 PM by Ashes for Dreams »
ashesfordreams.com
soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams
facebook.com/ashesfordreams
youtube.com/channel/UCB4f9GngKS_mhLKyk5Nptnw

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:08:01 PM »
I love the intro with the metal guitars & the choir like synth!
Eeuw thats a strange video! .....its like Iggy before his chiropractic appointment! It made me feel distinctly uncomfortable...
Anyway this is a great song that shows you both off doing what you do best..
You bring the metal & the atmospheric piano of the gods & Karen brings the folk charm & the Baileys..
I dont like all these female fronted metal bands they all sound exactly the same but this is quite different & worth listening to
I liked your solo aswell
Actually I suppose on first listen it did feel like you did a bit, then she did a bit, then you did a bit, etc etc
but second listen it gelled nicely  
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:18:02 PM »
Yo J and K

I love the song,but I had to revert to soundcloud because the tube clip grossed me out.  :P

Anyway,it's about the music and not some arty/farty freakshow....shudder  :-X

Gloriously Gothic and wonderfully blended,it highlighted perfectly the great guitar sound of Johan and the achingly melancholic vocals of Karen.

What's not to like?

Oh yeah,that freakoid vid. Yuk :P

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
Yes this rocks the crackers off. Some lovely guitar going down, remindeed me ofor Metallica quite a bit. Vocals were very good but did you use a pretty aggressive autotune setting ? I know loads of people use it but would have preferred a more natural sound. Anyway just personal preference and I think it's a very good song

Ashes for Dreams

• Busker
    • Official Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:39:46 PM »
@tinam, thanks for the kind words! Yes, the vid is a bit, eh....different(?) but I find the song a little quirky as well so I figured it would match. I know Karen is not completely convinced about it (and definitely not skub  ;D ) but on the other hand a few other people absolutely loved it so it seems it is a love/hate thing and nothing in between. We'll see if we decide to pull it or not.

@skub: thanks! Re the video, my guess you are just jelaous of how fit the dancer is :-) Nah, see above. Seems the vid is a water divider for sure  :)

@pompeyjazz, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. No autotune on this but I did tweak a few notes with the VariAudio function in Cubase but mainly taming some (in my opinion) excessive vibrato. I may have fine tuned the pitch slightly here and ther as well, can't remember really, but no global processing in any case. However, I do remember that a few words sounded a bit "processed" like "organize" and "introverts" that had me double check those but it seems Karens voice have some interesting qualities from time to time esp. when 'gliding' notes so that is mainly from the raw vocal tracks (and the compression etc probably adds to it). There is also quite a lot of dynamic processing and reverb/delay as well going on that may give a less 'natural' sound.
ashesfordreams.com

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
Everything sounds right on this one - good production and a nice atmospheric sound.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »
Yep, I'd like to be in the front row of a gig for this one, pushed up against the crash barrier by the mosh going on behind me.  Certainly had a 90s metal vibe to my ears; I'm reminded of the Cranberries too.  Nice chunky blistering riffs offset by the quieter vocal sections.  Really different to the last one you posted.  Lyrics wise I like verse 2 in particular... some fresh unusual subject matter in there.
It's all too beautiful.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »
Guys,

Think my face has just been ripped off.

Loved it, especially when the guitars smashed it,

I felt the chorus needed a hookline repeated, like the last line "Will it help me sleep again"
But thats just my taste,

really liked it,

Nice work.
Andy

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 02:15:10 AM »
Wow - metal meets innocence - that vocal surprised me with its folky lilt against what I thought was a thrashing intro. All good in the end though when I got used to it. Would have liked to hear a higher register in the chorus vocal but I know that's a personal pref thingy. Nice guitar solo and drums too.

Good track  ;D
Paul

Ashes for Dreams

• Busker
    • Official Homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
@Morefrog Jones: thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

@PaulyX: thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. And yes, this one is very different to the previous one. Guess we will be going in and out of styles given our different backgrounds.

@Cawproductions: sorry about your face!  ;D And thanks for the kind words! I see what you mean about the chorus, I guess we won't revisit this one but still useful input for future work.

@Paulski: thank! Yes, there is def a clash between backing and vocals but as our (inofficial) Ashes for Dreams motto puts it: It should not work but it does!  :)
ashesfordreams.com