konalavadome

The Big Surprise

• 25 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »
Hi All,

https://soundcloud.com/my-idiom/the-big-surprise-master-2-v-135

I was going to leave it a while before posting another song as I feel I've put quite a few up recently but I wanted to get this one on now so that I don't end up putting it on at the wrong time and then missing the deadline for the summer comp.

Anyway, I'll leave you to decide on it's meaning.

Thanks for your time, all comments welcome.

Yodasdad

The Big Surprise - © M Blair 2017

V1
As a child full of wonder
I learned to walk, nothing to run for
Taught to dream not to worry
That someday I would be the hero in the story
Did they lie to me

Chorus
Is this the big surprise?
Is this the wide blue yonder?
Is this the sum of all there is and all that there can be?
Was I sold a lie?

V2
I’ve travelled far since I was younger
down this road I never faltered
I’ve seen the lightning heard the thunder
Survived the flood that took me under.
Was it a fantasy

Mid 8
We’re just mice on a big wheel
keep on turning keep on earning
like a ship in a bottle
going nowhere no returning
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:15:02 AM by Yodasdad »

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
Hi Yodasad

I think this is brilliant. At the start I was thinking...hmm...I wander where this is going. Then the lyrics tied me in and when the chorus come in it was awesome. Really uplifting and catchy without being too obvious. I'm not sure if this is my headphones (most likely is as it's not the first song I've had this with...) but it was really bassy - slightly drowned the other instruments.

Really liked the break. It wasn't just a change of melody but of rhythm too and it works well to break the song up and then back into that awesome chorus. Then we mix it up again for the outro. Really well worked.

Back to the lyrics - I think the theme and the word choice is excellent and very clever. It's an excellent write.

All in all this is a WIN. Well done mate!!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
Really like this. It's catchy, poppy and large but with a bit of a different side to the lyrics.

Mice on a wheel we might have heard before; but the ship in a bottle is a great image.

Love the arrangement as well, the guitars really work when they come in, the middle 8 takes us to a new place, and the breakdowns near the end feel just right.

I think this is one of your best (and there have been some crackers!)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »
Hey,

Another great ballad and more excellent singing.

Cool arrangement ....this could easily be a chart ballad.

Like this a lot.

Sandeep

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Ooooer! I can tell from the intro we are in for dark passions & multiple climaxes, emotions tossed about like little boats , heroes made & broken & ….I dont like too much drama after a meal  :)
A super song & you are very consistent how you keep rolling these out to this magnificent standard..
The chorus did sound a little familiar but I think it was a bit like a lot of songs & not one in particular...love the soprano!
The M8 set in a funfair was 'a big surprise' & not what I expected but it worked ..
I felt the last choruses were a bit strange, instead of building it up you took it all down,
which was heresy for this genre of dramatic ballad... but I suppose it was right for the anticlimax you were singing about, so thats quite clever :)

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:52:59 PM »
Hi dude.

Yeh great chorus as others have said, Have you tried to double or triple the chorus vocal sections, make them massive.

But like it, great

Andy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 09:28:14 PM »
Hey YD.

Yanno,increasingly so I click to listen on a particular song and I feel proud to be part of a forum and even vaguely associated with the talent and imagination that has birthed the tune.

This is one such occasion.

Bits of Beatles and 10cc,but an original work overall.

Just great YD.  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
Great work Yoda and exceptional vocals. How do you get that high note or notes. Love the Macca M8.  Lovely harmonies, production, top class stuff man  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »
Wow, like the last one you posted, this sounds completely radio ready and sits in that happy place between being commercial and poppy, but still different & original enough to be very interesting & compelling. 
I'm really studying the way you sing now - loads of nice touches... just the right amount of trills and embellishments so it does not sound overdone.
I also really like the combination of piano and acoustic guitar at the start, weaved together closely so it almost sounds like a single instrument.  And the chugging guitars as the chorus comes in - great.
Theory on lyrics: well, to me this song is about feeling cheated when you've worked hard, done everything asked of you and life still turns out to be a bit of a wet firework.  So that leads me to the only piece of dissonance I felt about this song: musically the choruses sound huge, valedictory, fist-pumping and positive, but the lyrics at the point are more bitter.  Maybe that juxtaposition is what makes it so interesting... but I sort of felt this could fill stadiums if you span it around so that the verses were about the disappointments, and the choruses were saying "This IS my big surprise, this IS the wild blue yonder...", so it alls comes good at the point where the music swells and suggests victory.  (Obviously that would change the meaning of the song though!).
Other than that little observation I thought this was a masterclass in writing, technique, and delivery.  Going to study it some more now...
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
Very classy.

A great performance of a great song...the change around 2:20 shook things up nicely...and slipped back into the groove very neatly. vocals are fab again. lovely and well-chosen sounds too. the whole nine...

i didn't get any big surprise from the lyrics...so i'd guess it was sarcasm about things not turning out as well as anticipated...

a top quality song  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 01:09:12 AM »
Hi Yoda

What a great ballad this is!
Super lyrics, love the near rhymes  ;D
Great chorus - and I love the carnival music M8.
Nice arrangement, superb vocals - oh there I've gone and drooled all over my laptop  ::)

Nothing I can suggest here - loved every inch of it.  ;D ;D
Paul

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
First of all...great sound...oh, nice intro too!
I like the way the last line of the verses heralds the chorus so well.
Great big chorus! Instrumentation good throughout....not nuts about the trumpet/horn but that's a big nothing really as it's subtly used and all works so well anyway.

Guitar in verse 2 nice....really works.

M8 very good this time...nice switch in feel. And song comes back in lovely!

Again I'm predicting a SOTM nomination....hope that isn't going to be the kiss of death like it was last time!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »
Hi, really liked the instrumentation and arrangement. Good vocals too. Sounded very Pro to me. I could imagine take that singing this at a concert.
Excellent!
Cheers
Jamie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »
I mostly agree with everything everyone has said...I would expect to hear this on the radio or in a movie or on TV. It would be perfect for a story line about someone who has given up on any meaning or happiness in life. Although, I would hope the story would resolve on a happier note in the end. And maybe you could write another song to suit the happy ending, as well. ???  ;D

Wonderful, wonderful!

Vicki

Oldbutyet

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 11:21:33 PM »
I like this but its continuing to much, meaning to me its a fast flow.

Keep this recording but try acoustic with your lyrics.

Great song   8)