The Big Surprise

• 25 Replies

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:26 AM »
The ballad master is at it again. Cant fault those melodies. Another fine bit of work well done. :)
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Marrianna

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 11:21:19 PM »
Hi Yodasdad,

I really enjoyed listening to this track and like the vocals and lyrics especially. Big Surprise is a good idea to encapsulate all the words. I would have said that maybe the music could have lifted more, but, on reflection, the falsetto singing gives that lift adequately.

It is a good song and could be made even more interesting with a clever video, in my humble opinion.
Marrianna:-)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
Hi Yodas Dad. I listened to this song on the bus on my way to work this morning and the chorus is still going round in my head some 15 hours later! You are turning into a bit of a hit factory! In all seriousness I think you write very strong pop songs and they deserve a big audience.
I have only one observation. In my humble opinion the "be" at the end of the penultimate line of the chorus deserves an additional backing vocal which should be I think 3 notes higher up the scale.(or the next note in the arpeggio if that makes better sense) this will add not just the natural harmony but also give a little more emphasis to this critical element of the chorus. It's only one small word but a very powerful melodic part of the song.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »
Hi

Good pop ballad. I too could imagine Take That performing it.
Seems to be a lot of strong melodies around at the minute - and this is no different.
The middle 8 is great.

Digger

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
Oooh yeah!! Take that falsetto out for a spin mate!! Very nice!  ;D Your production skills are awesome mate!
This is a very well put together song. I love the change of pace on the middle 8, very cool!

Yeah, I have to say, no nits from me mate. Very impressive!

I doth my cap once again!

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
Well thanks everyone for your comments and taking the time.

Darren1664

I'll check the bass, glad you liked the lyrics, they're always my achilles heel.

Adamfarr

Thanks a lot Adam, much appreciated. The ship in a bottle took a fair bit of thinking about.

Movin Flavour

Cheers, I'm number 1 on the charts in my house (head).

Tina

Thanks. yes, it did feel strange to do a breakdown towards the end but it also felt right and I guess you've got to shake things up every now and then.

Caw prod..

Thank's and no not recently but I'm going to try doubling on my next track now you've remeinded me.

Thanks

Skub

Great compliment coming from you, cheers.

Pompey

Thanks, I guess it is a little Maccaesque now you mention it, yeah.

Paulyx

Man, I'm blushing, i'm sure you're giving me too much credit, but thanks. Thanks for the insight on the lyrics/message it's good to have these things spotlighted.

Paulads

Thanks for listening, yeah, it's a tongue in cheek bit of sarcasm you're right.

Paulski

Thanks man, better your laptop than the piano I reckon.

Viscount Cramer

Thanks for your observations and you didn't jinx it this time!

Jamie

Cheers, If you know Mr Barlow feel free to let him listen, I could be persuaded to let him have it...

Caliamoko

Wonderful works for me, thanks.

I think I'm too inclined to happy endings, I need to try to move a way from them but I know what you mean.

Oldbutyet

Not sure I fully understand your first comment but thanks for taking the time to listen.

Cazrolina

Ballad master...hmm, I guess I am drawn to writing ballads. Glad you liked it. Thanks.

Marrianna

Thanks for listening. Yes a video would be nice but I don't have the skills. Maybe one day.

MickyP

Thanks, maybe I'm in danger of turning into Stocj  Aitikin and Waterman :o 

Thanks for the observation about the 'be', I'll look at it.

Digger72

Thanks, another Take that reference...I think I need to form a boy band.....time machine anyone?

Lostboy

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, the production takes me far longer than the actual writing of the song. I'm a bit of a perfectionist in that regard, although I'm still a long way from perfection.

Thanks All

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 10:45:19 PM »
Great song, really enjoyed it, nice vocal, especially in the chorus, I agree with what has already been said about adding some backing vocals in a few places, but apart from that its great, sounds a bit Gary Barlow in a good way. and the mix sounds fine to me, no problems with the bass here

Mikey.

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 03:21:02 AM »
Hi

I love the way the song builds from the lovely piano and guitar intro to the chorus which highlights your vocal range.

A really catchy anthem song. Its a shame the charts are full of soulless manufactured dross instead of songs like this!

James

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 06:24:53 AM »
Ok. I think I'm falling in love. That was amazing! You've got a lot of talent. I'm in awe. What are you doing here and not out touring?

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »
I’m getting used to expecting excellent productions that are packed with emotion from you and this is no exception to that rule.  You have a real knack for writing anthemic songs and delivering them with a fine voice.  The m8 section is excellent and I love the dynamic achieved by stripping this song back to minimal instrumentation.

Welldone! 

Paul

Ashes for Dreams

• Busker
    • Official Homepage
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
Great stuff! A well crafted song, solid playing and great vocals. Lots to like here but a few things that could be improved (but remember, just my personal preferences).
Love the intro but I think the vocals came in to loud (just a mix thing) but also a bit too much 'all in', think the build would be greater if the vocals were sung a bit softer.
The chorus is fab but don't take off quite as much as it could: to me
a) the drums needs to come up front and driving the thing
b) same thing with the BV, they really need to add momentum to the chorus and not just bubbling in the background
b) one of the guitars need to come more upfront (the clean one with delay)
That should lift the chorus even more.
Was not to fond of the mid section. It is fun and not bad at all but to me it does not quite fit the song.
Overall the vox is a bit too upfront and the mix a bit "boxy" and lacking a little lustre (but once again, that is just my opinion)
All in all a fab offering though, well done!
ashesfordreams.com
soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams
facebook.com/ashesfordreams
youtube.com/channel/UCB4f9GngKS_mhLKyk5Nptnw