Louise (Summer Competition)

• 34 Replies

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
That was the main intention I had when writing the song. Trying to take the fight against the in a way very commercial message that life ends at 25. Either you do your duty and get some kids and become a 247 parent or you start pretending your still 24. Or both. A very dystopian, and mildly put disgusting, way of looking at life in my opinion.

That turned out a bit grumpy...
I love the summer.
And the autumn and the winter and springtime.
I'm fond of ice cream too.

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »
 :D

You're spot on, though. It is a very unrealistic and depressing way of looking at life. And it's not grumpy. It's passionate! ;)

I have this philosophy that our emotions are like an internal rainbow that enhance or play off of each other by their presence and relative placement in the sequence. We have all of these emotions for a reason and that reason served us well instinctually or we wouldn't exist today in the grand scheme of things. To try and bury the negatives in life and only experience the positives would be like dining on dessert at the table and never experiencing the savory or bitter or salty. It would be bland, dull, predictable, monotone. Without the negative there would be no positive. It's just part of life.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
Man, that is a great pop song in there waiting to be set free! One can tell already from the way you strum it in the first verse. Can you feel the driving drums? Hear the ringing Rickenbackers? The BV harmonies in the chorus?
OK, got a little carried away there :-)
But nevertheless, a good song that I think would be stellar in a full setting (but that is my very personal prefs of course).

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »
Thank you Jambrains!
Yes a standard pop instrumentation would work nice.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 03:48:55 AM »
This is kind of folky, similar to Leonard Cohen's work, at least in my opinion. Reminds me a little of his "Suzanne". I notice the rhyme scheme starts out fairly stable with perfect rhymes, then drifts to near rhymes...like you're moving from a stable place to an unstable mood. Subtle and intriguing. Is this the story of an uncertain relationship? Or maybe someone's imagined relationship?

I like how this reminds of my college days. There isn't much to critique, except for me, this is sort of rambly, and I can't quite follow the story. But maybe that's intentional. Some songs are meant to be vague.

Vicki