konalavadome

I wrote This For Elvis - Got The Summertime Blues

• 12 Replies

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
Wrote and did basic this demo today - (The wifes Away!!!)

I wanted to write an Elvis Summer song  :D -
I tried it with an an Elvis Voice for a bit of fun and it sounded great apart from my poor impression so stuck with my own voice.
I doubt I'll make this my entry for the competition as ive got something better lined up but would be interested in opinion of the Cheesy Twist of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/morefrog-jones/ive-got-the-summertime-blues

Gotta the Summertimes Blues:

Ive got the summertime summertime summertime Blues.
The summers here but I cant get over loosing you.
This time last year we were walking down the beach.
But now you've gone I just cant find my feet

It wasn't long ago you were sitting by Christmas tree.
But by the spring they took you away from me.
And now it is your favourite time of year.
but all around me the waves crash like my tears.

The summers here and I cant get over loosing you.
This time last year you were swimming in the sea.
But now I feel its a summer solstice misery.

You will always be my friend
Loyal to the end
You'll always be my favourite
DOG!! :o

Ive got the summertime summertime summertime Blues x 4

The summers here but I cant get over loosing you.
This time last year we were walking down the beach.
But now you've gone I just cant find my feet

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
It starts off bluesy and it ends up quite dancy! I like the transition. I think lyrics are excellent and do a good job of expressing the feeling of losing a loved one. Didn't pick up it was about a dog until the obvious :P - this section is a nice break from the main melody of the track...and as I said it ends quite dancy and I think this really works for this.

Your music has a great sway to it and this song shows that off again. If you have something you feel is better for the competition then I look forward to hearing this.

With regard to possible improvements? I have none personally.

All the best

Darren

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:31:32 PM »
This is brilliant Morefrog, it sounds fabulously 1960s garage punk, which I love..
I absolutely love your drums & drum beats here which drive the song along at a runaway pace like Elvis escaping from the crem in a gold hearse
I didnt actually get the Elvis connection bcos surely he wouldnt have sung anything like this?
Anyway the guitar sound is making me jealous, it is so 1960s garage punk! & Im going to have to tickle you to find out how you get it !
I wasnt sure about the big gaps between verses first listen but second time I didnt notice them so much

Very catchy & infectiously rhythmic
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:46 PM »
Absolutely excellent Morefrog. Glad you kept your own voice(s) I'm trying very hard to think what this might sound like with a huh huh huh Helvis vocal and have still got no ideas. The driving bass is excellent as are the d & b drums. Now get back to that ramshackle cottage and give the dog some food before it REALLY starts raining  :)

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
This is brilliant Morefrog, it sounds fabulously 1960s garage punk, which I love..
I absolutely love your drums & drum beats here which drive the song along at a runaway pace like Elvis escaping from the crem in a gold hearse
I didnt actually get the Elvis connection bcos surely he wouldnt have sung anything like this?
Anyway the guitar sound is making me jealous, it is so 1960s garage punk! & Im going to have to tickle you to find out how you get it !
I wasnt sure about the big gaps between verses first listen but second time I didnt notice them so much

Very catchy & infectiously rhythmic

Cheers Tina - Just You- tubed 60's Garage Punk - WOW Its fantastic - its kinda of like the English Mod 60's music I into - but by Americans - Not sure who influenced who but its fabulous!!!! - Good tip and i can say ive never heard of it but heard similar songs at the Scooter Rallies i used to go to - Now i Know what its called!!!
As for the song it started as Elvis but took me in a different direction which is always fun!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:58:50 PM by Morefrog Jones »

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
Hi!

I really liked this one!
I'm not so fond of what comes after the first three verses but that's
just me being conservative. It might be that the dog part has very little
vocal rhythm.

My suggestion is that you add a bit of soft distortion to dirty and compress the
track and to it a slight echo on the vocals and some general reverb. All to give it
a more narrow and crowded old school sound.

I look forward to hear your aiming for the stars contribution for the competition.
Because if you didn't think this one made it what you might come up with next
has to be amazing.

Martin

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
That's great. Reminds me of a lot of music I used to listen to many years ago. Very good.

I think the main line (summertime summertime summertime blues) works but, of course, one of the great classics of rock'n'roll is Summertime Blues, so it's always going to draw comparison if you use the same title. The song itself is so different that such comparisons are immediately invalid, but I still think it's a bit risky. It would be like me writing a song called Blue Suede Shoes. But that aside, it's wonderful and well worth progressing with.
West Country Country Boy

Rick trodat

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »
REally liked it. Great bassline and the song keeps surprising me. Nice Oasis like, vocals!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »
Intro guitar sounds really good.  Vocals very much like Mick Jagger I think.  Lovet he movement of this song and it certainly has a summer feeling.  Everything leads towards a definite chorus.  I also think the chorus could be developed further.  It invites me to think about surfers and so I would have been tempted to weave surfer imagery into the lyrics. 

Well done, most enjoyable!

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
Cool Tune  8)

yeah...great-sounding intro...like the bass too

i think personally i'd maybe have dropped the percussion out and then brought it back in here and there to lift the chorus a bit and differentiate the various sections...

i loved the bit where the instruments dropped out...worked nicely

is that some trem on that guitar?

trademark, groovy vocal...nice work!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:28:53 PM »
Hi,
I like this a lot - its got a hypnotic rock/dance feel to it and is very catchy. Its like a remix.
the vocals sit just right over the pulsating drums and guitars.
Neat
 :)
Neil   
songwriter of no repute..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 01:51:16 AM »
Love the thunder! And you caught me. I did not know you were singing about a DOG until you got there. Besides the dog surprise, there are things in the lyric that don't make sense to me. Mainly, it sounds like the dog died, but then you say "now it is your favourite time of year". So, how does that work? ??? Other than that I have no nits regarding the lyric.

I'm not qualified to comment on production, but if I didn't have the lyrics in front of me, I wouldn't have known what some of the words were, especially "beach" (it sounded like "beat" or "bee"). There were more; basically the problem is the ends of your words often don't come through, so I'm only hearing the first part of the word. Maybe it has something to do with the production or mixing? I love the way you sing it, though! Nice work!

Vicki

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »
Hi

Great vocal delivery. Reminded me of Primal Scream.
I like the overall groove - though it seemed a bit bass light (though others mention the bass, so it may well be my speakers have finally given up.)

Drives along nicely. Would perhaps make great material for some kind of club track.

Digger