konalavadome

Midday In The Universe

• 5 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: May 06, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
This is called 'Midday In The Universe'.  I recorded vocals and classical guitar yesterday.  I didn't really pay enough attention to the recording process so ended up with really boomy vocal and guitar takes.  I've tried to process this a little but decided to ask my son James (age 13) to add keyboards and hopefully hide some of the harsh bass tones.  He's been playing piano for several years but has not yet started to write (maybe he never will).  James and I talked about writing parts and how less can sometimes be more.  We also talked about space and how the inclusion of space sometimes allows instrument parts to shine. James wants to be a music teacher.  He is a man of many words.    ;D When asked what he thought of today's activity he said "good".  When asked to elaborate, he said "very".  Anyway, it was good for us both to spend time together creating and sharing music.  

I'll jump in over the weekend, to review one or two songs in this section.  Thanks for listening.

Paul & James.

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/midday-in-the-universe

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Hi Paul!

First I see no lyrics so I'm afraid I can not comment them
since I don't like quoting from memory.  :)

Would you agree that the rhythm is a bit bossa nova?
I think it works good.

In some places your voice shows a bit of desperation.
I like that. You could have more of it without risking to be
over dramatic.

The guitar sound has to my ears a bit too little bottom and a bit
too much piercing treble. You wrote it was boomy before so at
least that part is fixed.

I look forward to hear the final version!

Martin

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:09:30 PM »
Thanks Martin,

Yeah the guitar was difficult to process. It really was boomy, in order to stop that's I had to really cut the bass frequency and now it has too much treble but that's ok. As a song, it's finished completely.  It was ideal for my son to experience his first recording of keys.  If I do tackle this song again, I'll start from scratch.  Sometimes I like to record a song quickly and then move on especially as I am first and foremost a songwriter.  I believe that a song should be able to stand up without all of the bells and whistles and processing associated with production. Mostly, it should be enjoyable and fun!

Thanks

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
Hi Paul.  I think this is a lovely piece and well worth developing. I think your vocals on this are absolutely ace. Bags of emotion. I like your lad's attitude.  The boy will go far. Personally I wouldn't lump too much on top of this as it's got a strong melody and a great feel to it  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
Hi Paul and James, I thought this was really strong.  I also wouldn't add too much to it since the lyrics are interesting enough and the vocals dynamic enough to hold attention anyway.  The title is super, kind of an interesting contradiction since the "universe" doesn't have a "day"... it really drew me in.  Your voice (and some of the imagery) reminds me of Robyn Hitchcock.  No improvements to suggest here.
It's all too beautiful.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »
Hello Pompey,

I've been so lazy.  I was meaning to record both the vocal and guitar again but life got in the way.  Thanks for the comment about the vocal as i often hold back.  Guess I should not do that and maybe go for it a little more.  My son James is the strong, silent type for sure  ;D

Paulyx, 

I delighted with the vocal compliment. Your comment about the universe and time is right on the money.  James is very happy to get a mention.  thank you  :)

Paul