Sing Hallelujah (Collab with Mike67)

• 18 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
Hi All,

I had a different song lined up to post this time round but I've decided to post this one instead.

https://soundcloud.com/my-idiom/sing-hallelujah-lyrics-by-mike-warnes-2017

It represents the first time I've ever collaborated on a song outside of a band setting.

I spotted some lyrics on the Collaborations board by Mike67 and they grabbed my attention so much that I just had to have a go at setting them to music.

I thoroughly enjoyed working on this one.

Please let us know what you think.

Yodasdad

Sing Hallelujah © 2017

No. No. No. No. No.           
Sing Hallelujah.
No. No. No. No. No. 

There’s a fear inside your soul     
There’s a fear inside your soul
That fear is the Devil
And the Devil’s taking hold

No. No. No. No. No.           
Sing Hallelujah.
No. No. No. No. No.           
Sing Hallelujah.

He put a rifle in your hand
And he showed you how to aim
Helped you pull the trigger
But he left you with the shame

Sing Hallelujah

If you can justify the action
You can justify the pain
If it’s justified maybe it’s alright,
But the Devil wins again.

Sing Hallelujah
No. No. No. No. No.           
Sing Hallelujah.

Now every time you stray
Every time you stray from the road
When you fear the Devil
The Devil’s taking hold
When you’re on your knees
When (you feel) your strength has gone
Just close your eyes
And you’ll hear this song

Sing Hallelujah x 4         

There’s a light inside your soul     
There’s a light inside your soul
That light's gonna guide you
It’s gonna bring you home

It’s gonna bring you home x8

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Thought this was great.  Soulful, fits your voice really well.  Enjoyed it throughout - favourite moments were the middle 8 taking things in a slightly surprising direction with the melody, and also when the drums kicked in (until then I was expecting it to be a piano ballad all the way through).  Hammond (?) and piano work really together.  Really super... the only thing I could think of to suggest would be some big gospel-style backing vocals in the second half?
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
This is a cracker Yoda. Lovely piano and bags of balls and attitude. The hammond is just right when it kicks in. Great lyrics from Mike as well. I'm going to have to have another listen to this. The standard of songs on here just seems to get better and better  :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »
Your singing is fabulously good on this & youve got some soulfull throaty gruffness aswell which I realy like...
you sound wild & fervent & have definitely got that gospel fire the lyrics are demanding &
I can imagine you condemning sinners to the everlasting inferno of Soundcloud  :)
Youve realy moved right away from that American 70s rock sound of yours & I am very impressed as always by how meticulous you are with your songwriting

The keyboards were excellent but they did sound a bit thin & the song didnt have a big bottom which I am always told men want in my songs!  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:46:31 PM »
This is really great! Especially how you've made music to capture the feel of the lyrics brilliantly! Really well put together with lots of different sections. I found the ending really uplifting! Great stuff

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Yo Yoda.

Interesting lyrics by Mike,they almost demand a gospel treatment,don't they?

Great singing on this one and general all round fine performance.  :)

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
Hi Yoda,

I absolutely love this!! I will be listening again (feel like I should be paying for it though!)
Your vocals sound natural and REALLY strong! Can't really say any more

Awesome!

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »
A great collaboration...really good set of lyrics given an excellent airing.

My ineptitude at reviewing once again gets the better of me, but I love your voice on this one in particular and liked the piano a lot too.

Interesting choice of musical setting for the lyrics...I read them separately and would likely have gone in a completely different direction. And done it less well, I'm sure  :)

Praise the lord, and so on...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
Tremendous! What a great collab - well done both. Tremendous singing and an arrangement that sounds really good through these little laptop speakers - a rare event indeed.

A fine song - great lyrics and melody and goes along at just the right pace.

Loved it  ;D
West Country Country Boy

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
Another fine example of Songwriting Yoda. You are consistently writing catchy songs. This one also really showcases the superb vocals. Note perfect singing. Really good pitch. Well done. Micky

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
It's all here - melody, emotion and performance. Love the gritty vocal - though could it be that in the louder sections at times it seemed a tiny bit distorted? (listening on rubbish headphones though...)

And a shout out for the lyrics - easy to fall into cliches with themes like this and they didn't, with some nice original thought provoking lines.

Organ just churchy enough for my taste, very enjoyable.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »

Hi YD,

Wow....impressive vocal.  Got a nice little growl
 going on there.  Delivered with emotion and
 control.....something I can never do. It's either
 one or the other with me  ;D

Great piano tone and playing, and the hammond
 is a lovely touch. Nice arrangement, liked the
 breakdown around 3.20......masterful ;D ;D

All round classic feel to this.....great collab.
 A perfect vehicle for the lyrics.

Loved it ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 06:21:12 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry it's taken me a while to thank you guys.

Paulyx

Thanks. Hammond yes. It was originally going to stay as just piano, vox and organ but I got carried away as usual.

Pompeyjazz

Thanks for listening and your compliments, much appreciated.

Tina

This is actually my preferred way of singing but I can't maintain it. I get one, maybe two takes and after that I have to rest my voice for a while coz it starts cracking and cutting out all over the place.

Yeah, I deliberately didn't go heavy on the bass or the production in general. I wanted to keep it a little bit raw and intimate.

Thanks for listening.

Darren1664

Thanks for your time to listen and comment, glad you liked it.

Skub

Thanks. Yes, it would have been more full on Gospel to be honest if I'd had access to a choir, but without one I thought better of it.

Boolio

Thanks a lot. By all means PM me, I accept all major credit cards. Nothing lower than £2m though, you'll probably be my only ever paying customer so I gotta milk it.

Paulads

Hallelujah brother... I din't think about the way this one was going to go too much myself actually, the idea just kind of came to me as I read the lyrics (divine intervention maybe?).

Probably just a class set of lyrics by Mike.

Thanks

Delboy

Thanks for commenting, glad you liked it and good to know my first collab was a success.

MickyP

Thanks, I'm not sure about note perfect but with a bit of computer trickery I am fairly happy with it. Thanks for listening and your compliments.

Binladeda

Thanks. The growl comes at a cost though, takes my voice a while to recover. Had to record it in a number of takes to give it time to get over the shock.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks Everyone.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 02:57:17 AM »
Hi Yoda

Love the gravel in your voice here and the vocals are spot on - wish I could do that.
Now I know I'm the outlier here, but I thought the lyrics could be improved in this.
It's probably because I'm not religious so talk of the Devil and such don't mean much to me.
Also when you say "No,no, no" etc before Hallelujah, you're telling us to sing it, but don't sing it? Maybe that's the point, but to me it was a contradiction. Suggest maybe whoa-oh, oh or sth..?
The mix was OK, but on my gear the vocals were too upfront and the piano/organ too far back.

Sorry if this sounds harsh - just trying to be honest - and obviously no-one else agrees so I'll bugger off now...

Paul

Ashes for Dreams

• Busker
    • Official Homepage
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »
Yes, that's the way we like it!
Fab vocals, great piano and song builds very nicely incl the break down at 2.15.
Can't help but thinking it would have been even groovier just a tad faster?
Mix could do with a little more of the bass guitar and there are parts where the vocal processing was not quite to my taste but taste is as we all know a very individual thing.
Great job both of you!
ashesfordreams.com
soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams
facebook.com/ashesfordreams
youtube.com/channel/UCB4f9GngKS_mhLKyk5Nptnw