music lessons or self-taught musician / songwriter?

• 3 Replies

Dutchbeat

« on: September 16, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
I was just wondering, how many songwriters on this forum had music / singing lessons, and how many are self-taught musicians....

i have had a few years of piano lessons, but couldn't cope with that anymore because of the total boredom 

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
When I was about 4 my grandmother taught me to play the organ. Didn't get very far with that, and when I was about 12 my dad taught me the basics on the guitar. A couple of years later I had about 6 months of lessons, but the rest is all my own work! ;)

Although recently I did take up formal piano tuition. Only had 4 lessons so far, but really loving it.

Singing is entirely self-taught with the exception of one singing lesson in my early 20s which made me realise I was doing fine by myself!

It's funny how some people feel really stifled by formal tuition. I find it really complementary (so far) to my songwriting, although if I'd started off on the formal route, maybe I'd feel differently.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
I have never had any lessons DutchBeat

I taught myself the guitar buying songbooks of all the bands I liked

When I was in a band I was forever hounding the other members to show me things on their instruments and during breaks I would play keyboard, bass and bash away on the drums

Eventually I started writing song on keyboard as well as guitar

Writing was mad as I would learn one famous song then nick the chords and write my own, I remember learning "for no one" by the Beatles , being amazed by the chord structure and nicking it

90% of my first songs were Beatles rip offs ;D

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
My best mate Alex showed me how to play the riff to R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts after one of their gigs yeeeeeears ago. AFter that I stole my Dads acoustic and taught myself all my favourite songs (at the time it was all Blur, Oasis and Radiohead) :D

The internet has tons of tabs to teach yourself with. I'd find a song with a "skill" in I'd like to learn (tapping, vibrato, whatever), get the tab and recording and push myself until I could play it like the original.

Picked up a few DVDs on theory that I skimmed through. Learnt some interesting stuff about how chords are constructed and the CAGED system, but not much else. That all came into it's own when I decided to learn piano...

Had all of one hour long lesson on piano and realised I knew everything my teacher could show me already from guitar. It really blew my mind that it was so cross compatible! Since then I've nailed all the scales by ear and am using the same way I taught myself guitar for piano (the piano part to Adele - Turning Tables is really interesting, and hard!)

The thing I am considering is singing lessons. Maybe it's just real low confidence but I think my voice sucks. I dunnoi. Maybe I;ll buy some audio books and see how I get on?

All in all, if you apply a little intellignce and a lot of patience with yourself, I believe you can teach yourself anything.

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.