• 7 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
I've just started using logic (express) on my mac - have to say I've been surprised at how lacking it was in terms of intuitiveness compared to other apple products.  Having said that, once you get your head around how to use it, import tracks, mix down and add effects, it's pretty stable and quick.  The mixdowns are quite true to the multitracks.  I used to find my cubase mixowns were never quite what I thought they should be when I was listening to multi track recordings prior to mixdown.

Anyone else use logic?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »
Hi Tone,

Sorry for the late response. I recently noticed this one.  I use Logic 8 Express.  I think that it is superb.  I've used Logic 7 for a couple  of years now, struggling to record audio as my Mac had such a poor spec.  I've since upgraded my Mac and also have an external hard drive.  I'm starting to record some of the many songs that I have hanging around including audio. I think that Logic is fairly easy to use and that the Express version is great value for money.  I'm no whizz with this software and therefore don't miss the higher end features that are not available in the Express version.  I  think that we are incredibly lucky to have recording equipment of this standard at our fingertips.  I remember the bad old days when I first started recording music at 16 years old in the early 1980's.  Recording studios were so expensive.  Many Engineers struggled to help you achieve your musicals goals and the whole affair was so rushed.  It wasn't surprising that I always left the studio clutching a cassette demo of the poorest quality!

Best,

Paul

Good.Times.Studio.Lincoln

• Busker
    • Good Times Studio, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
Hey Tone!  I'm a Logic 9 Devotee!  I hope that it's treating you better!  It took me about a year to learn it to really get comfortable with it (and using the Quick Key Commands).  Are you still using it?
Tyler Larson
Head Producer/Recording Engineer
Good Times Studio, LLC - http://on.fb.me/pT64Tz

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »
I'm thinking of getting Logic pro 9, does anyone know what other equipment i'd need to connect mic and guitar etc.
Thanks Matt
Learner guitarist

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »
Hi Jim,

All I can tell you, is what I use to get the best out of this program.  I'm currently running Logic Express 8 on my Mac.  The Express version is more than adequate.  I don't feel the need to upgrade to the full version, which is much more expensive.  If you hunt about for reliable reviews, you'll probably find that Express and the full version are very similar.  Some features available in the full version are not present in Express but are unlikely to be used by new users of this software.  |I think that I know my way around this program quite well and am able to achieve fairly decent results.  There are still features that I haven't fully explored after several years use (I moved from Express 7 to Express 8.)

Anyway, I connect a Line 6 TonePort KB37 to my mac using a USB connection.  The KB37 is a sequencing keyboard that I bought about 3/4 years ago for £199.  That's a little expensive but I feel that it has given me tremendous value for money.  The keyboard has inputs for headphones, expression pedal, x2 foot switches, Digital out, guitar, x2 XLR mic inputs line inputs 1 & 2, stereo inputs 1 & 2 and x2 Analog outs.  Don't get bamboozled by all the inputs. I use the headphones, one of the  XLR microphone inputs and the guitar input only!  The KB37 comes with Gear box software (various effects for vocals, and guitar etc).  Within Logic, the effects are superb anyway and I often bypass the Line 6 effects, choosing to record almost everything without effects and apply them later within the Logic environment.

I use Harmon Kardon speakers which plug directly into my mac. They're a bit expensive too but absolutely wonderful.  One of the best aspects of my set up is that I only use x2 usb connections apart from leads for my guitar, mic and headphones. 

I hope that this helps you a little Jim and that you enjoy using Logic.  Think long and hard about spending extra cash to buy the full version of Logic.  I reckon Express is more than adequate unless your aiming to become a top notch producer/engineer!

Paul

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 05:38:15 PM »
Cheers Paul, thats good to know. You've answered the question i was going to post as i was a bit confused as to what the difference is between Express and the 'full' version is.
I've seen a guy do a cover of Pink Floyds 'the wall' on you tube which is worth taking a look at.
Learner guitarist

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
I love logic Pro 9! I've used ableton live, cubase and reason before. But have settled now with Logic, it works so well with the Mac and is really easy to use. Lovely in built effects modules, fairly good library of sounds and nice new audio manipulation tools. Also Ultrabeat is a nice drum add on if you need a beat in a hurry!

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
Just started using them at college.

Being a long term PC user, I had a different approach to doing what I wanted, and Sonar is very different to Logic.

My initial impressions are good. It's not 100% bug free like everyone is lead to believe, but it is definately the most stable system that I have used. I think it's how the main audio track interfaces with it's plugins or instruments that took the most getting used to. When you get down to it, it's a no nonsense, easy to navigate, stable and powerful piece of software.