konalavadome

Looking for a bit of advice

• 11 Replies

Graemepryce

• Busker
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:04:35 AM »
Hi everybody. I'm just looking for a bit of advice really.

I got a brand new laptop in January and as I'm pretty sure the age of Tascam 4 track tape recorders and maybe even those that record onto CD seem to have passed I was thinking it is probably possible to use my new computer to record multi - track stuff.

What would I need? Somebody here has told me a USB mic would be a good start, but what software is  ( in your opinions ) the easiest and most straightforward to use?

And in some ways, more importantly - is there a free to download version?

I'm not completely computer illiterate ( as you can probably tell! ) but I'm not exactly Bill Gates either. I do tend to struggle a bit with modern tech. I kept pace with it all until about 2000 or so and then things started leaving me behind a little. I spent a few years not recording or writing much, just keeping in practice by playing my acoustic in my bedroom and now I'm a bit lost as to how to start really even trying to record the tunes I've written in the last few years.

It's a bit embarrassing when I come on this site and hear other people's recordings that sound so professional, when most of what I've got to offer either sounds like it was recorded in 1990 or is just me in front of my smartphone!

If anyone can find a few minutes to give me a few pointers on how to catch up and make the best of my new laptop, it would be very much appreciated.

When I bought it I did tell the guy that I might want to use it for this purpose and he recommended the one I chose so I think it might be worth doing. THANKS!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
Much depends on what and how you want to record

If you will only ever record using a microphone (i.e. Recording vocals, recording an acoustic guitar etc.) then a USB mic would be a good entry point

A USB Mic is essentially a combination of a microphone and audio interface

If you want to record other things (i.e. Plugging and electric guitar into your computer, plugging in a keyboard output, plugging in a keyboard via MIDI, connecting other mics) then it can be better to get a separate audio interface and microphone

There are loads on the market and you could spend loads of time reading reviews etc. but you couldn't go too far wrong with these:

USB Microphones:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/NTUSB/usb-mics/rode-nt-usb-studio-quality-usb-microphone

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SEEKX1USBEX25/usb-mics/se-electronics-x1-usb-condensor-microphone-and-headphones-bundle

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/APO0052/usb-mics/apogee-mic-96k-for-mac-and-windows-10-pro-usb-microphone

Any of these would give great results - I am personally quite drawn to the RODE's design with the intergrated pop shield & mount

You may need to buy an additional pop shield and shock mount (and mic stand) with the other options but any store will do you a bundle deal - I would recommend ANDERTONS, DV247, GEAR4MUSIC in the U.K., THOMANN in Europe and SWEETWATER in the US

If you wanted more flexibility then the separate Audio Interface and Mic options are very much dependent on budget

A good entry level option would be:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/MOSC0021/usb-interfaces/focusrite-scarlett-solo-studio-bundle-2nd-generation

This would give you everything you need to get up and running for a good price

As for software the Scarlett studio bundle comes with free/lite versions of recording software, which will likely do everything you want it to

If you want a "digital tascam multitrack" then AUDACITY may be sufficient - but you may be limited if you want to use MIDI and virtual instruments (drum machines, pianos etc.)

If you wanted to combine your recorded audio with virtual instruments then you will need a more fully fledged DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)

REAPER is an excellent budget option

You may also want to check out the entry versions of CAKEWALK SONAR (which I personally recommend & use), STUDIO ONE or CUBASE

Most of the DAWs do much the same thing - the ones I have mentioned are more traditional "recording studio" models, which may be useful as they will be more up to date tascam recorders with bells and whistles

For loop based/dance music you may want to look at ABLETON and FL STUDIO - but from what you have said I think REAPER, SONAR, STUDIO ONE or CUBASE would suit you better

Please post ANY questions and if you have a clear idea on what and how you want to record then post that as well and we can guide you a little more based on your requirements

An idea of budget would also be useful - sometimes it can be more economical to "buy good and buy once" - but if you don't have the budget now we can look at options that will get you up and running and you can upgrade later if you need to

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
Thumbs up on the Scarlet Interface and REAPER from me. Does everything I want it to and millions of other things as well. Fully functional download for free and if you want to buy it's $60

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
Hi,

I can't add much to the comprehensive answer from Boydie but just to say, things have come a long way since 2000.

Don't let this intimidate you though as I think there has been I real turning point since then in terms of making equipment/software more user friendly. There's a hell of a lot you can learn and mess about with if you want to but you'll find that for the basics, most things are just plug and play these days so getting started should be quite painless.

Usb has been a god send in this area and has done away with the mine field that was needing understanding midi parameters to use a daw for mid instruments back in the late 90's.

A DAW (software) is basically a recording studio on your computer. It allows you to do everything an old 4 track would and a whole load more. The difference is that everything is now digital rather than analog (although you can still go down that route if you really want to).

Your interface is what converts your analog sound source into a digital signal so that you can get it into your laptop.

These two things are all you really need to get started.

Depending on what you want to record I would personally go for an interface and separate mic (non usb) because as Boydie says there is a lot more flexibility and potential to record other things other than vocals.

If you want to record midi, you will either need an interface with a midi input and an instrument with a midi output or as most people do these day a mid keyboard the plugs directly into the laptop via usb. Again, plug and play.

As well as this website, YouTube is a great place for information. You'll find tons of instructional videos and tutorials on there.

A WORD OF WARNING...

Getting started is the easy bit as I've said but once you're in there's no going back. Tinkering and perfecting your sound is highly addictive. You are about to slip down the rabbit hole and into the twilight zone. You are probably about to lose the next 10 years of your life or so, but it's worth it.

Notify you family, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride!

We'll be here to help you through it.

Yodasdad

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »
Hey Graeme,you'll get all the help and advice you need right here. There are lots of folk who are further down the path you've chosen and well equipped to keep you straight.

I'm a newcomer to DAW myself,so I thought it may be helpful to link to a thread I started back last December,there are plenty of great tips.

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12220.0

Graemepryce

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies. It's given me a lot to think about!

I was just having a quick check to see if there had been any replies at the moment, but I'll come back online later today and start looking into everything a bit more.

Again, the people on this website never fail to give friendly, interesting and useful advice. I feel like it's a shame I don't know more musicians to recommend it to! lol

THANKS!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »
That Rabbit hole is a deep dark place but ya going to have to go there to emerge with your smiling "Oh shit, I wish I did this years ago" face  ;D

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 02:31:44 AM »
Oh crumbs. Just seen the rabbit hole and twilight zone comments from Pompey and yodasdad....

s*d it.  "Feel the fear and do it anyway"!!
I'm throwing myself head first down/in/on/through this hole and/or vortex as we speak. (See learner driver thread) Im in the process of setting up the scarlet 2i4 interface (with midi) and separate mic and should be good to go tomorrow.

I'll share my first thoughts when I reappear, hopefully unscathed, with tales of giant caterpillars, Johnny Depps weird makeup tips and a hangover ;)

Here goes...
Caz
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »
Hi

Well done to all those who have been down the rabbit hole. Every time I've descended I've been confronted by a GIANT, time burgling, techno ferret  :o :o So I'm staying topside, well until I can find someone to watch my back (find a workshop/course somewhere)

To those about to descend, I salute you!!  ;D

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »
Hi

Well done to all those who have been down the rabbit hole. Every time I've descended I've been confronted by a GIANT, time burgling, techno ferret  :o :o So I'm staying topside, well until I can find someone to watch my back (find a workshop/course somewhere)

To those about to descend, I salute you!!  ;D

Phil

Have a look for a guy called Warren Huart, he has loads of excellent youtube videos about using Daws, interfaces, and recording and production techniques,

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Hey, it's not really as daunting as you might think plus as has been pointed out there are so many great YouTube vids out there these days.  Sure it takes a bit of perseverance and you might get a bit analysis about it but well worth the effort IMHO. Stimulating and exciting as well as you open up a brand new world of creativity  :)

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »
So far so good. Techno feret just dropped me off at home, but he's picking me baCk up again tomorrow.  :D
Once I worked out I had to press a little button to commence "phantom power" (sounds amazing, but is just basically the on/off power switch for the mic) I was almost good to go. Just a couple of settings adjusted later and I was recording. Don't be afraid. This sleep deprived housewife can manage it. Been in my element ever since.
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now