konalavadome

Essential reading -- Beatles Complete Recording Sessions

• 6 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »
The thing is, not only were The Beatles incredibly talented (of course), but they did NOT surround themselves with dummies, but the very best in the business. And not only were they the best in the business, but they had great chemistry with the band, as well. So they worked well together and were able to make magic that none of them would have been able to make on their own. And by on their own, I am including the 4 members of the band as a single entity, here.

For those of you who have not read it, I am giving the strongest possible recommendation that I can to THIS BOOK:
The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970 by Mark Lewishon

I read it, myself, a couple of years ago and, what struck me most, more than anything else, was... just how damn HARD those boys worked. And not only how hard they worked, but how hard everybody around them worked. It was a pretty big team that made those classic albums, and I do mean TEAM.

Seriously. It is essential reading.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »
Sounds really interesting - will definitely give it a read at some point, perhaps on my summer holibobs!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »
That sounds like a great book for anyone who enjoys the history and music of The Beatles. It will certainly go on to my reading list.

thanks

Paul

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 12:05:20 AM »
Good call. Been listening to Help today.
West Country Country Boy

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
Anybody check this out yet? Curious as to whether or not you think as highly of it as I do. If you got out of it practical things.
Thoughts?

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
Ive had this book for almost 10 years now....
Interesting stuff for Beatles nuts!
Interesting to read about techniques their engineers pioneered....sampling, feedback, ADT, close miking

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:14:31 PM »
Woohoo, I have it!!!  :D

I clicked on your link and it dawned on me, I have this book but haven't read it!?!

Damn! Just made me realise, I'm a nutcase when it comes to books. I absolutely love books and I buy way too many, more than I read, each week I might add. I bought this book some years ago, just skimmed right through it and thought it was too many pictures and maybe a tad too technical for my taste. Like I said, it was just a quick glance but now I realise I didn't give it much of a chance!!!??!!?  :D

Hehe, I'll get right to reading it more thoroughly and then I'll come back to you Pop on my verdict, deal?!!

Cheers,

Peter