Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« on: April 08, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
Hi!

I've made the observation that there is a whole different
activity in Feedback of Finished songs then in Work in
Progress. Like eight times.

This is understandable since most people would like comments
on what they consider a just presentation of their achievements.
Still since the WiP has so much less activity some might feel like
working a bit more on their song and post it in FS instead of using
WiP earlier and maybe get very little feedback.

In my opinion, and I guess it kind of answers it all, it is easier to
give input on a finished songs rather then give insight in the writing
process which is so individual. A question like 'I've written a chorus to
a song. How should I do to write a good verse?' is hard to answer.
Still it might be the most useful input.

So finally, keep posting in WiP and ask tricky questions. That's what
that section is for.

Cheers,

Martin

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »
It's a question of time for the most part.

To give useful feedback on a WIP takes a greater level of commitment than just saying 'Great song' a dozen times in the Finished Song section.

I know our illustrious leader would like the WIP to be more active but it's hard to see this happening.

In some ways it should be easier - though more time-consuming - to give honest feedback on a WIP because you will be offering suggestions (that can be taken on board or ignored) without causing offence whereas a negative comment on a finished song might not be so well-received.

There was a recent occasion where I didn't say all that I really wanted to say because the song in question had been posted as finished AND professionally produced (ie paid for). I could have voiced my thoughts without worry if it had been a WIP.

Again though, this would have engendered a commitment to engage on a more prolonged and thorough basis with the songwriter, to maybe listen to an updated version....to basically have become involved in the writing of someone else's song....I don't even have time to spend on my own stuff. My advice might have been crap anyway but I still wanted to say it!

It would be great if this level of participation could be achieved but I can't see it happening really. Nobody has the time.

I blame my careers adviser who should have got me into a job where I could have retired early. Mind you....I wouldn't have listened!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
I like to use the WIP board from time to time when I'm working on something, although I haven't made as much use of it as I would like. When I'm trying to decide, say, between a couple different ways of presenting a lyric, or a couple different possible wordings of a line or two--I'll post the choices to the WIP board and ask for input.

I've posted two kinds of songs to the "Finished" board: 1. those I don't expect to be able to have produced anytime soon, but I consider them finished and 2. those I've had professionally produced (the kind that costs money). Ian mentioned being hesitant to offer too much criticism in the second case, and I can understand that. Some people may have their song "in stone" by that time. But I haven't. The "Finished" board is the last step. My producer will make tweaks for me, if I want them, based on feedback I get on the "Finished" board. My purpose in posting to the "Finished" board is to present a song I think of as finished BUT I want to find out if there are still improvements I could make.

In my opinion, that's how it should be. If the song can no longer be tweaked, why post it for feedback? In fact, it seems a little surprising to me that the "Finished" board gets more action than "WIP" for just that reason. And what happens is people post stuff they don't really consider finished in the more active board because it is more active and they're more likely to get feedback.

In spite of all that, I have had very good results when I post to WIP.

Vicki

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:57:36 AM »
Yes I guess in the end it all comes up to having
time. When I entered the forum I thought sharing
music with other then my friends and get critique
was the most important part. Now hearing new music
from people who are in kind of the same situation
as me is just as important. A nice bonus.

Cheers,

Martin

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
Hi - in my case I still want honest feedback (even if negative) on the stuff posted in "Finished Songs" because, even though I might not go back and change them radically, 1) it should help me get better with the next song I write, and 2) it should help me see which songs have genuinely gone down the best so that if, for example, I was trying to promote any songs more widely I'd know which ones to choose, and 3) like Vicki says, even the "finished" stuff can be tweaked.  I love this forum so far and often think some of the most useful reviews are the "tough love" ones where people do say what could be better.

WIP: I'd like to use that more going ahead.  Somehow I feel some hesitancy though... it's like your songs are your children and I'm reluctant to send them out into the world "half-dressed"... I'll get over that though I'm sure.
It's all too beautiful.