Copyright and ownership - Legally

• 7 Replies

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« on: April 05, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
Hi all,

I been having lots of conversations and scouring the internet ref Copyrighting and Proof of ownership in the UK, ie, who wrote and played on what, How much you own, Do the chords make a song, Is the song the Lyrics and or the melody.

Seems quite tricky to get the definitive answer.

Seen a couple of websites, copyrightuk and PRS. We seem to think that the PRS is just to collect your performing rights money if played anywhere.

But How do artists in the uk prevent your material being stolen and used without your permission.

Anyone?
Forgive me if this has been discussed
Andy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
This often comes up and there are plenty of threads

In a nutshell...

In the U.K. Copyright is automatic - there is nothing you need to do to formally "register" your copyright

However, if you needed to make a claim you would need to prove you wrote a song when you did

There are copyright services on t'internet but I personally question their worth and how long they will be around

The first question should be - do you really need to formally copyright your song?

How likely is it that the song will make lots of money and how likely is it someone would "steal" it?

If you do want to formally copyright your music I would recommend the Guild Of International Songwriters & Composers (GISC)

They offer members unlimited copyright registrations and other member benefits
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Mike67

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
This often comes up and there are plenty of threads
However, if you needed to make a claim you would need to prove you wrote a song when you did

And presumably posting something online or e-mailing something to yourself would give you reasonable proof of that?

Mike

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »
Thanks Boydie and Mike,

Since we have been releasing on Spotify and other streaming sites it has crossed my mind. Just wondered what others thought.

Like you say, we havent produced anything that would be life changing but wouldnt it be annoying if your song (or one that sounds VERY similar) was to aired on mainstream media and you receieved nothing.

I guess I own all the masters and project files, so that accounts for a lot.

Cheers
Andy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
Posting a song to yourself in the mail (known as the "poor man's copyright") would not really stand up in court - I can think of many ways to easily fake this

The "digital" methods have not yet been tested in court but I am sure you would be able to build a good case if you have date stamps on YouTube, SoundCloud, this forum etc.

The other big question is could you afford to take on a label in court!!!!!

The "industry" is very unlikely to steal a song - if you were to write a hit song they will want "the golden goose that lays the eggs" (i.e. You) rather than a golden egg (the song)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »
The "industry" is very unlikely to steal a song - if you were to write a hit song they will want "the golden goose that lays the eggs" (i.e. You) rather than a golden egg (the song)

I think that's pretty reassuring Boydie (not that I expect anyone would want to pilfer/plagiarise my own work!)
I guess the only real problem would be if another 'amateur' artiste/songwriter took somebody's work and passed it off as their own then 'sold' it...

I really ought to do something about my paranoia!!  :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 12:37:58 PM »
After the copyright question has been answered exhaustively here's the commercial aspect:
you register songs with PRS so the royalties - should there be any - can find their way into your pocket (the composer's and lyricist's pocket).

The best that can happen to you is that your song is 'stolen', i.e. covered* by other artists who make stacks of money, are being played on the radio etc. so there will be plenty of royalties flowing your way.

Good luck!
Bernd

*illegitimate 'theft' of songs is extremely rare, if your songs are any good they may be covered, though (PROVIDED they are registered with PRS so they can be licensed).
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:33:02 PM »
Cool replies guys,

As with most of the conversations I had, seemed to point to the PRS and copyright service.

I realize that it will probably never be an issue but interesting to know where you stand if it does.

Cheers
Andy