New song-Shadows

• 37 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/jamie1802/shadows

Hi all, a new song you'll hopefully listen to!
This didn't turn out how I envisaged it from the start, but I'm happy with the structure and arrangement. I started to have some latency issues when tidying it up so there are a couple of playing and production issues :o :P. So annoying, but I've dug myself into that hole before and almost destroyed a lot of hard work :o ::) :P
All constructive comments welcome!

Cheers
Jamie

Shadows

Looking back through the prism of time, all it does is to underline my mistakes
You're in my head your under my skin, I don't know where I've been until now

I'm gonna get out on the road, away from all the places that I know

Looking back through the prism of time, I realise I'm imprisoned by my mind
My bruises bruised all my ruses are used, who can I blame, hey you what's your name

I'm gonna get out on the road, away from all the places that I know

Here in the shadows suits me just fine, I can catch the light most anytime
Prints in the sand all washed away, I'm like a child that doesn't have any say

I'm on the outside I'm looking in, I'd tell my story I don't know where to begin

I'm gonna get out on the road away from all the places that I know
Where no-one knows me and I'm just a name I'm in the picture just out of the frame

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:16:02 PM »
I don't have any constructive criticism for you. I just wanted to let you know I noticed the song, and listened to it. I wasn't expecting the chord progression, but it works for me--it's kinda like suddenly shining a spotlight on a word or phrase.

I enjoyed the way you used rhyming words.

That's really all I have.

Vicki

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »
My first thought was that this sounds a lot like something from the seventies that I've heard.  Can't pin down what it sounds like. 

But then, the song "shifted gears" and went an unexpected direction.  That differentiation (imo) resolves any "sounds like" problem (if there was one.) 

As always, and as expected, this is extremely well written and performed. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »
Hi Vicki, I always enjoy your input, you have a laser view about the elements you spot. I think I know what you mean about the chord progression and I can understand the spotlight comment. Thanks for your comments!

Hi Verlon, always great to hear from you, yep I was a teenager in the seventies so it's entirely possible I've 'appropriated' some musical idea! If you think of the song let me know then I can confirm or deny it :o? Thanks for your kind comments on my skills (limited though they may be!).

Thanks for listening
Jamie

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »
Im not a fan of gerry anderson & those old hippies from Yes or keyboard dominated prog rock so I didnt expect to like this too much but I realy did! I thought it was super!
actually I felt the music had a Beatles psychedelic feel to it?
you do lovely things with your voice & I was totally enticed by the melody & the lush laziness of it & the Magical Mysteryness
I wasnt sure about 'bruises bruised & ruses used' ... I was waiting for you to sing 'I am the egg man we are the egg men!'  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
Hi,

I had to have a second listen to this as I wasn't sure what I thought of it first time. The melody/harmony takes some unexpected turns for me and couldn't make out whether they really worked or whether they sounded more like they were there to try to be different and unique.

Having listened again, I've concluded that they do work and that it's more my conventional/conformist approach that is what was bugging me. For me I think it's a grower that becomes more satisfying with each listen, rather than being an instant favourite (for me).

I actually think it's quite imaginative and there's a lot to like. The melodies work, even if they don't always go in the direction I had anticipated.

I think some backing vox and maybe some echo type delay on the vocal would work well on this.

Yodasdad

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
It's a mixture of YES, Tears for Fears and Oasis..in sound ,with a dash of Orchestral maneuvers in the dark  :) possibility.... buts got a nice vibe to it....needs a better ending !

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »
A good song and lyrics...I think you gave it all away too soon and the song lacks dynamics (light and shade to be precise)
regarding production I think the mix is rather muddy, a notch around the 200hz area would help and do roll off the lower frequencies?

but it IS a good song and your voice sounds very clear...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
Hi Jamie...that chord change surprised me every time  :D

i love the understatement of it...and the relaxed simplicity...very nicely done

love your vocals...i've said that before...oops, i said it again  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:33:08 AM »
I like the big sound....very spacious and promising.....even ethereal. Had that Lennonesc appeal to it. The performances are really good, and the songwriting is good, as well.
Good stuff, Man!
                                          -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 10:56:10 AM »
Hey Jamie.

Lots of 70s and 80s tonez present here. Reminds me a little of Jon Anderson's collaboration with Vangelis,back in the day.

Because of all the influences I hear in the song,it makes the whole listening experience one of nostalgia. The piece evokes that whole era,yet manages not to be derivative and retains it's own integrity.

Me like.  8)

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:28:17 PM »
I am with most people on this,

Its a great sound but the chord changes trouble my ear a bit.

But hey, Maybe you stumbled across a new genre there matey.

Overall tho, Great sound.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »
Hi all, thanks for listening.

Hi Tina, yep, I get the magical mystery tour reference. When I was creating the arrangement I originally thought of a simpler more open feel, but as I recorded it I tried the more wall to wall sound and really liked it so I'm guilty as charged! ' I am the egg man ' lol! Glad you enjoyed it!

Hi YD, the music I like most is music that can take many listens to 'get'! So I'm delighted with your comments about coming back to it, enjoyed your comment about it being imaginative!

Hi STC, I can hear where you're coming from on the references. Oasis aren't really someone I've enjoyed much, but it's interesting that while I wrote this I was learning an oasis song for a birthday bash my covers band are playing at.......subliminal?

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »
Hi, thanks for listening!
Hi Kevin, I went back and did the notch thing, and you're right! Who knew? Thanks I've learned something new :o. Glad you liked the song. I know what you mean about the dynamics but I kind of felt that once I'd gone for that type of arrangement and sound it didn't really lend itself to a subtle build. Like John Lennon's mind games or George Michaels playing for time :D?

Hi Paul, I love chord changes that don't go where you expect them, but when I stumbled across that change I just felt it grabbed your attention. Usually from that G chord variation you wouldn't go to a D flat, that a D would fit better, but for me it's more interesting, but what do I know ::). Thanks for the comments about the singing, I don't mind you saying it again ;).

Hi Tom, when I was writing it I had a very different idea on the arrangement, but when I started recording it it started to feel like it needed a different treatment, so John Lennon did spring to mind! Thanks for the comments on the arrangement,songwriting and performance, it's appreciated!

Cheers
Jamie

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
Hi all, thanks for listening!

Hi Skub, I often get the Jon Anderson comment so I get that! I just wish I really could sing like him :P. Your eloquence reflects your consummate understanding of the genres, performance dynamics, songwriting skills, and my outstanding ability as a musician and songwriter........ ;).
Thanks Skub, you are too kind  ;D.

Hi CP, genre busting, that sounds good, I'll add it to my CV ;). I like unusual chord structures I try to avoid the obvious, so as long as it's not too out there ::), it's all good for me! Thanks for your kind words!

Cheers guys your feedbacks appreciated!

Cheers
Jamie