konalavadome

By the Banks of the Humber - instrumental

• 12 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »
Here is a dance track made entirely with synths. A first for me. All comments gratefully received. I like it but I'm not sure how authentic it is as a dance track.

The film is from a recent walk along the Humber from Hessle to Hull city centre.

Thanks,

Keith

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
A nihilistic piece, I found it strangely hypnotic...would definitely work in a trance club!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
Hi, I listened to this earlier today and didn't quite know what to say as I couldn't place the 'genre'. I've listened again and it sounds a bit 'shoe-gaze' 'trancey' type song. I think this sound struggles to be a song, its more of a piece to go with pictures or video. I wouldn't know how to place it........
There are some king crimson pieces that sort of go this way.
Cheers
Jamie

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:21:42 PM »
Hey Keith.

I always listen to a track without the video,just to avoid distraction from the audio.

I love the ponderous and plodding monstrosity assaulting my ears like a Tyrannosaurus Rex hunting me down in my dreams. I don't have a scooby about vids anyway.

It's a great,menacing soundscape on an industrial scale.  8) 

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:53:54 PM »
keith I enjoyed my tour  along the Humber but I didnt see any deckchairs or sandcastles?
anyway its the music you want me to talk about ...from the title I expected a old folk jig but its trance/dance & its realy quite sort of foreboding ..honestly I felt that at some point in the film, zombies were going to jump out & slash you all...thank goodness they didnt!.
anyway its a bit avant garde & a bit industrial but with a living dead sort of feel...
zombie dance I suppose ...youve invented a new genre & I liked it  :)

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Jamie, basically I wrote it to go with the film I took on our walk and to learn something about the synths. I'm pleased with the King Crimson comparison, great band.

I'm pleased that it sounds like something that would get played in a club. I may have a go at some more. Even bought a trance cd to get some ideas.

Tina, I'll take zombie dance as a new genre. No deck chairs in Hull, just docks, old docks with shops and old docks with decaying buildings. Its home though.

Skub and shadowfax, thanks for the comments, enough encouragement for me to have another go.

Keith

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »
I think the music would work on the dance floor pretty well. The video was rather depressing, however....the area itself looked depressed :-[......anyways, not a place I'm going to go out of my way for site seeing  ;)

Anyways.....like I have said, the music is steady....hypnotic, and just what you intended.
Good job, and good stuff!
                                                   8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Hi,

I can't really comment on its authenticity but it doesn't sound like trance, as I remember it from my clubbing days anyway. There's a very hypnotic, industrial feel to it and with a bit of production that could be a very powerful bass/beat combination.

I'm not sure what genre I would place it in but I don't think that really matters. Maybe exploiting the industrial elements will help define it though if that's what you're after.

I enjoyed the music in its own right but I'm not sure it matches up with the imagery of the video at the moment. Who am I to judge though, I've only seen the Humber once, when I was a kid and my dad took us on a family day trip to 'see the Humber bridge'. That was literally all we did though, drove 3 hrs, sat and looked at the bridge for 5 minutes and drove home. No disrespect to the Humber bridge, but when you're 6 years old, it doesn't quite cut it!  Who needs theme parks eh?

Yodasdad

Mike67

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 10:55:11 AM »
Yeah, trancy, dancy and very hypnotic - the vid had quite an ominous feel about it too.  I also checked out another of yours, where you'd filmed in Liverpool.  I spent four years there and really miss the city, so it was nice to return via your vid, along with another great song btw.

Mike 

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »
Hi
Not sure I'm in the right mood to review anything with a Hull theme after what happened at the KCOM on Saturday but here goes... ;)

I didn't think I would be qualified to comment on this to start with, trance/dance - not my bag baby - but it kind of captured my imagination with its relentless, ominous vibe and by the end I'm sure I was experiencing the onset of sonic induced delirium (whatever that is!)

Once again (because of this forum) I've been 'forced' to listen to something that I may not have done in the past and in this case I'm glad I did because I think you've done a great job here - though I'm not sure the Hull tourist office would agree! :-)

Cheers Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
Apologies for not reviewing more this week but we've reorganised our house and moved the computer into another room, oh dear.

I've also listened to a Trance cd and noticed how light and happy it sounds, nothing sounds like mine. I'm glad people like the overall feel though. I may give dance another go once I'm settled into my new environment.

Iron Knee, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the majority of the walk was along what used to be working docks. I find a strange beauty about old industrial buildings plus street art. On top of that waste expanses of water always floated my boat and Hull has plenty of that.

Yodasdad, you dad sounds like mine. He got me up in the middle of the night to watch the moon landing. I never recovered. Your right about it not sounding like Trance music. I'll check out some industrial dance music. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I've just finished reading Art, Sex and Music by Cosey Fanni Tutti so may check out some of her music with her husband Chris.

Mike67, I'm glad you liked it. The Liverpool video was a collaboration, I only did the filming and played the music. Liverpool is a great City, similar to Hull, only much wealthier due to the slave trade.

Phil, not sure what happened on Saturday, we had two or three moments of class and won. Although we should have hammered you at yours, so maybe a little karma affected the result. It's going to be a strange end to the season.

The walk is part of the Trans-Penine Way so I don't think the Tourist office will have a problem selling it.

Thank you all for the comments,

Keith

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Having now watched the vid,the two compliment each other very well.

Clever stuff,Keith.  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
Nice and different - bit of a New Ordery type vibe going on here.

The thing that I came away with was the drum beat and not any melody line which probably for an instrumental is not ideal but very pro sounding mix and full marks for the departure into a new genre.