Serious lyrics

• 10 Replies

RadicalPosture

• Busker
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had difficulty writing serious lyrics. I don't necessarily mean really serious and heavy stuff, but anything personal. I usually write very comedic songs and they're never about me. I'd like to write something more personal, but I feel rather...naked. Has anyone else had this problem? Have you managed to overcome that?

Thanks  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
Hello

Interesting subject  :)

I like writing from other people's perspective...and imagining how they feel...I think it helps me stand back a little from what's happening in my world, which I find makes it easier, frees me up and makes it less pressurised...I can go beyond my own personal feelings.

If I can write as someone who might be feeling what I'm feeling...that's even better...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »
good question
my seriousness is also reluctant to be exposed.

it comes out but never takes center stage.
I don't mind this so much.

When it's a good song, the chances are I'll often perform it in public before an attentive audience and it's often i don't want to Have to get personal because the song requires that.
I have written private songs.
At times I'll use the stuff that resonates in private songs and get it into something more public.

It is good to achieve seriousness, sincerity - not always easy.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »
I find if I have an emotional connection to the lyrics, it's hard to maintain the self discipline to think rationally about structure/word choice/stresses etc. They often end up more like poems. My songs tend to be a little detached which is effective sometimes but I too would like to develop my emotional songwriting :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
I have written a couple songs that are serious and personal, but they don't tell my story in a "naked" way. They're more like expressions of my feelings with hints about what causes the feelings but in a fairly general way.

I can think of two songs I have written that are specifically about the way I feel about how my life is or has been in the past. One is just a general reference to opposing forces in my life--those pulling me down and those lifting me up.

The other is a direct, but not in any way explicit, reference to my growing up years--expressing how I felt about the way things were and how I dealt with it.

I would say it was writing about my feelings rather than the events is what made it easier to do. We're all different, though, and that would probably not work for everyone.

Vicki

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
I think all of my lyrics are personal to me but as you say I think they end up being more poems than lyrics. I do write them to music (myself playing guitar) but I don't think I really think about the listener when I write. I am more focused on expressing my emotions. Good or bad I don't know.

I am on the other side in that I want to branch out and try to write some less personal songs but with more of a focus on being fun and entertaining. I think sitting and writing songs for myself in my bedroom has led me to lose perspective a bit :P I should join a band or something but confidence is against me.

Mike67

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
The first lyrics I ever wrote were for my guitar tutor who was going through a difficult breakup at the time (Rusts - Blencathra). I'm ashamed to say that I got caught up in the creative excitement of the process - I'd never really written lyrics before and he was turning them into actual songs!  About a month ago I listened to the album again and it really hit home what an awful time he went through and really felt guilty that I'd actually enjoyed writing about things in abstract that he was living with, and I told him so. So, could I have written those words and recorded those songs without the benefit of some detachment? Absolutely - I wallow in sorrow.

As for my guitar tutor, I'm going along to his stag do tomorrow - he found a better girl - and we're really good mates.  I've also written lyrics for him in better times (Rusts - Down The Porter), which helps to break that association.

Mike

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
I never write about myself or my personal experiences.

Otherwise many of my lyrics are serious. Just by chance two songs about suicide got on my latest 'album'. I had written the lyrics five years apart from each other, though. My latest text is political (with the situation in Turkey in mind). My most challenging text was about Breivik, the Norwegian assassin - written from HIS perspective! But I actually mitigated the text because I was afraid it could be interpreted or misused as a Nazi text... Another challenge was writing a song about Gilgamesh (my toughest lyrical undertaking ever).

There are more subjects to write about than you'd care for.

Have fun!

Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

finestrat

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »
I do what PaulAds does and try to put myself in the shoes of the person who might be singing.  If you have never had the sad experience yourself,  I think it would be hard trying to imagine what emotions you'd feel.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 03:13:38 PM »
Before the stuff that I'm writing now (sci-fi musical, obviously not serious), most of my output was deeply personal. I found a good way around the inevitable worries of writing about real people, and them hearing it, was to write personally but combine relationships and people in to different characters and situations. I don't imagine it masked what I was talking about amazingly, but writing about something that's an amalgamation of different experiences is easier than writing about something so plainly.

If you have to write an entire album about someone,or about a failed relationship (I think we all do, at some point), another good thing to do is to make it about an imaginary character that you can treat any way you want in your songs. I wrote an album about an imaginary person at an imaginary party that was actually about two or three relationships, and lots of experiences, but I wacked them all together in to an unrecognisable package.

If you have a lot of traumatic, upsetting, confusing or downright depressing shit to figure out, writing about it is amazingly therapeutic. But it goes without saying that writing about it will also be traumatic, upsetting, confusing and depressing, too.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 03:28:47 PM »
I'm at ease both writing about my feelings and other topics that are not personal.  Both approaches help me to explore different areas of writing. one can be quite cathartic and the other a real test of creativity if done well.

paul