konalavadome

Broken Words

• 31 Replies

Mike67

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 02:27:47 PM »
Thanks Rightly.  If you have ideas for the 3rd verse, I be happy to consider them.

Mike

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:09 PM »
Sounds fine as is..very good song and mood, nice instrumentation...maybe some harmonies but..hey..great stuff!! :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Mike67

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
Sorry to bump, but I've done a fair amount of work on this, including new intro and outro and re-recorded other parts.  Still need to redo vocals, but I'd welcome views, particularly on things I can improve.  No need to post if you think it's OK.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/mike-warnes/broken-words
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:15:15 PM by Mike67 »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
Well I feel the need to post and tell you what fine job you've done.... :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 06:39:45 PM »
I really really like this one...it just has something about it that hit the spot for me.

and I think your voice suits the song perfectly

excellent stuff  :)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 08:56:48 PM »
I really like the feel...nice sound. The heavier treatment in verse 2 works fine too. Interesting the way the ends of the verses kind of end openly with the melody you've got there ending on the fifth....hang a bit in the air not quite resolving. Interesting, I mean, how it colours the song.

Made me think of LOVE amongst others...must be that gentle vocal! Might be that hanging melody line too!

Sounds fab.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Mike67

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 07:32:27 AM »
Interesting the way the ends of the verses kind of end openly with the melody you've got there ending on the fifth....hang a bit in the air not quite resolving
I don't know enough theory to plan, so the songs are coming organically. Can't claim to being clever on this one.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Mike

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 09:04:28 AM »
Hi, enjoyed this. Like the contrast in the arrangement it kept changing and holding the attention. Production sounds fine to me.
Nice one!
Jamie

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »
Nice mellow song.....that turns into something more epic, and with more drama attached. Love the lead work on the guitar. The percussion is a bit ear-catching, however.......hard to explain, but it's a bit distracting in some places.
Anyways, all-in-all, it's a gem. I particularly liked the melody in this  8)
Good stuff, Mike
                                             -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »
Really enjoyed this listen, and the additions/changes since the first listen at WIP stage. (Although loved that too.)
Very memorable. Cleverly understated yet powerful, if that makes sense. Ebb and flow - yes, in agreement with Adam on that. And yes, an ever so slight timing thing happening between the guitars and drums at end but the melodies are just FAB. And its such a beautiful guitar outro.   
Top marks from me. :)
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

scaw

• Busker
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »
what a great tone on the guitar. I like the chorus very much. I'm not too keen on the drum sound it seems a bit tinny.  Some really really great guitar parts.  There is plenty of variation to keep me interested. The music goes perfectly with the song for me. A very enjoyable listen.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »
Yep - i also think this is an impressive song. Lyrics are superb. Very atmospheric - almost mystical. The music is also atmospheric and the production is of a high standard. Cant offer any meaningful guidance here im afraid. Just happy to listen to the music.

JacktheLaughingBoy

• Busker
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »
As others have said before me, nice work!! Nice production quality, lyrics are solid. Honestly, wasn't sure if I'd like the sound at first but was pleasantly surprised, some of the guitar parts are quite nice.

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
Cool song - good lyrics - great atmosphere going on.
Good quality production - Retro feel but not dated.
Good Work.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
I'd welcome comments in particular on how i can improve the production.

I think you have done a great job on the production

Things I would do are:

Tidy up the timing at 0.54 to get a cleaner start

The drums sound awesome - I would just spend a bit of time on the KICK drum and BASS guitar for 2 things

1 - make sure they are "locked together" timing wise, there were sections in the song where they were playing the same pattern, which sounded great - but there were also sections where the bass guitar was playing differently from the kick so the low end of the track lost some impact

This is symptomatic of using drum loops where it is difficult to change the timing of certain elements within a loop (eg the kick drum)

If this is the case you may want to look at programming your own beats using a drum VST (or simply aligning individual samples). It is more effort but you can then vary the patterns however you want

2 - use "complimentary EQ" on the KICK and BASS so that each element has its own "space" - eg if you like the thump of the kick drum at a certain frequency - CUT this frequency from the bass track and then do the opposite for a frequency you like in the bass guitar track (cutting it from the kick track)

Doing both of these things will give the track a more solid foundation on which to build

If I was being ultra picky and I was producing you in the studio (and as you have asked how to improve) I would say that you have a very hard "attack" with the guitar pick so some of the notes (eg on the intro guitar lick) sound a little "dead" - I would have asked you to try another take with a smoother and more laid back approach to see if it improved the guitar sound and feel, especially for the intro section

The rest of the track sounds great and I love the timing changes and "tension" holds, which are perfectly released

Overall it is a cracking song with an excellent production
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:33:17 PM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic