How We Treat New Members...

• 40 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
Vicki, if you've read my post please don't be offended by how many times I've used 'there' instead of 'their'.

I know, I know.....must do better!

Yodasdad

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
Leaving a forum because they told you about the rules.. ??? ??? ???

I joined the Songstuff forum & introduced myself saying which forum Id come from & that I did FAWM & a wrote a bit of a bio...
When I logged in some hours later my post had been censored! All mention of the forum Id come from & FAWM had been removed & my bio had been altered....omg I couldnt believe it!
I complained to the forum owner & he apologised but it realy soured things for me there.
I also joined Guitar Noise & Muses Muse & one of them made you review half a dozen songs before theyd even let you post your own song!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
I agree as well. I was absolutely shitting myself before and after my first post, it did take a while to get into the forum etiquette. There are so many very talented people out there and I think this forum is a fantastic place for education, inspiration and valid critique

I'd Like to report Pompey Jazz for using the word "Shitting" without warning he should know better ;D
If ive broken any rules by quoting the aforementioned bad word can i save time and report myself as well. ;D

Anyway back on topic over aggressive pointing out of forum rule breaking to new members should be avoided - there is a nice way of doing it without scaring people off.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »
I agree as well. I was absolutely shitting myself before and after my first post, it did take a while to get into the forum etiquette. There are so many very talented people out there and I think this forum is a fantastic place for education, inspiration and valid critique

I'd Like to report Pompey Jazz for using the word "Shitting" without warning he should know better ;D
If ive broken any rules by quoting the aforementioned bad word can i save time and report myself as well. ;D

Anyway back on topic over aggressive pointing out of forum rule breaking to new members should be avoided - there is a nice way of doing it without scaring people off.

How can we tolerate such extreme language?

LOL

jamie

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
First time song writers / people new to guitar might not want to critique other people.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
 In my experience, those who just want to bombard with their own songs and not contribute anything else I usually & best dealt with by just ignoring.
First post they get some reviews, next post they dont get any. Perhaps just a gentle nudge that they might attract more reviews if they review a few or get involved in other areas.
They generally just get bored and go away.
A fair few probably dont even bother checking - they just want to use it is a marketing tool; another place to get their songs heard. Which is ok and fine...it will just work better if you review others too.

But yeah...no heavy handed messages, moderation or pre-emptive strikes required. Perhaps just welcoming of the first post, tolerant of the second, ignore the third? If they persist / 'nudge' their posts for more reviews then a friendly message asking them to get involved.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
I have to admit I've been a bit overly zealous about pointing out the rules... I'm too used to being bossy.  But I don't want the responsibility of being the boss, so it would be most appropriate for me, also, to leave the moderating up to the mods.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
To me they're not just eager, they come across as having no manners or being here for the wrong reason. Probably haven't read the rules or worse, have a disregard for them.

I think this gets to the crux of the matter

In my view those that do this (especially in their first post) deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt and gently "educated" so that they do learn some manners and realise what a valuable resource this forum can become if they become an active part of the community

By "educate" I mean give them friendly, valuable, feedback

From the excellent discussion so far I would like to propose the following as some "etiquette" for the members to follow....

If someone posts a second song without reviewing anyone else then I think a friendly reminder about the rules from anyone if is fair - and I also like, and really appreciate, members doing this off of their own back

I also like the idea of this being done once and then others simply not giving reviews - I am sure a few will slip through but the song will definitely get fewer, which sends a messsge

I am not suggesting a ban if they post a third song for review without reviewing other people - I am suggesting that the post is reported and then a MOD will lock the post after posting a warning message explaining that the poster must read the guidelines and review other people and then PM the mod to get the thread unlocked - when they have hopefully learned their lesson and become part of the community (which must remain the overall goal IMHO)

This is also my preferred approach when a new member posts multiple songs at once

Thanks for the input and it is great looking back at our own first posts - I also remember being petrified posting my first song and not feeling qualified to review the abundance of amazing songs

I still feel this now - the only thing that has changed is that I now appreciate the value of giving honest opinions and suggestions having posted a few of my own songs
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Leaving a forum because they told you about the rules.. ??? ??? ???

I joined the Songstuff forum & introduced myself saying which forum Id come from & that I did FAWM & a wrote a bit of a bio...
When I logged in some hours later my post had been censored! All mention of the forum Id come from & FAWM had been removed & my bio had been altered....omg I couldnt believe it!
I complained to the forum owner & he apologised but it realy soured things for me there.
I also joined Guitar Noise & Muses Muse & one of them made you review half a dozen songs before theyd even let you post your own song!

Oh..was just wondering..thanks for the answer.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
I like the proposed procedure. And the procedure for someone who posts a song every two or three days? Would it be better to give that person a gentle shove in the direction of the guidelines as well? Or report directly to mods? I know I have done the [gentle, I hope] shove in the past once or twice for a too-frequent poster.

I appreciate this discussion a lot, and I hope I haven't put any new posters off in the past with my eagerness to point out the rules.

Vicki

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 12:49:44 PM »
Vicki, if you've read my post please don't be offended by how many times I've used 'there' instead of 'their'.

I know, I know.....must do better!

Yodasdad
I try to ignore such things. After all, I almost used "two-frequent" in my previous post. Caught it just in time....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:06:29 PM by CaliaMoko »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »
I went and had a look back at what i did when i first joined...i'm relieved to see that i'd introduced myself and did a bit of engagement about a couple of issues and even did a review before i submitted a song about a week later...i don't think it's asking much for people to get the feel of the place a little first. Personally i'd have felt i was being a little rude to dive in and post a song straight away...but i wouldn't hold it against anyone for doing so...it's understandable...especially if you have more confidence in your abilities than i have.

Some of the stuff that some people post are simply good songs from good writers who have material ready that was written a while back and use the forum to drip-feed their songs in, in the hope that people will pick up on them. I guess that's my pet hate. Just a personal thing. I like to know what people are writing now...not what they wrote last year or in 2013 or whatever...

<dismounts high horse>
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
I like the proposed procedure. And the procedure for someone who posts a song every two or three days? Would it be better to give that person a gentle shove in the direction of the guidelines as well? Or report directly to mods? I know I have done the [gentle, I hope] shove in the past once or twice for a too-frequent poster.

I appreciate this discussion a lot, and I hope I haven't put any new posters off in the past with my eagerness to point out the rules.

Vicki

I really do not see how someone can be put off by the rules Vicki..we need rules, without  them it's chaos!! so don't fret on it!! you were thinking of the best interests of the forum..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
I went and had a look back at what i did when i first joined...i'm relieved to see that i'd introduced myself and did a bit of engagement about a couple of issues and even did a review before i submitted a song about a week later...i don't think it's asking much for people to get the feel of the place a little first. Personally i'd have felt i was being a little rude to dive in and post a song straight away...but i wouldn't hold it against anyone for doing so...it's understandable...especially if you have more confidence in your abilities than i have.

Some of the stuff that some people post are simply good songs from good writers who have material ready that was written a while back and use the forum to drip-feed their songs in, in the hope that people will pick up on them. I guess that's my pet hate. Just a personal thing. I like to know what people are writing now...not what they wrote last year or in 2013 or whatever...

<dismounts high horse>

I agree with your comments Paul and wonder why people always feel they have to apologize in some way when they have an opinion that matters and makes sense.. ???  this comment does not put you up there on a hi horse...this is a good and sensible comment... :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:08:12 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!