konalavadome

Letting a lyric sink in...

• 8 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:26:48 PM »
In a recent song I wrote I realized a section needed "space" i.e. a no-lyrics musical section so that the dramatic words that had just been sung needed time to sink into the listener's brain. I think it worked - but wondered how often others do this - or do you have any other tips like this..?

Paul

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »
Space is so important in music - like you said it allows the more powerful lyrics to sink in. It also helps the lyrics be understood better in general as the listener can process what they've heard before moving on to the next thing. It's also a good way to introduce an instrumental hook. I try to use a lot of space when I write

How big a space are we talking about?

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:34:12 PM »
Good concept. Paul Simon talked about something similar on a tv program I saw (sorry, I forget which).  He said when he's written a ,complex' line he might follow it with something simple, like a cliche, to give the listener time to process.
Not exactly 'space', but same tactics 🙂
GTB

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:43:52 PM »
Good concept. Paul Simon talked about something similar on a tv program I saw (sorry, I forget which).  He said when he's written a ,complex' line he might follow it with something simple, like a cliche, to give the listener time to process.
Not exactly 'space', but same tactics 🙂

This is actually really clever. I can see the thinking behind it and how it'd work. Thanks for sharing this nugget. It'll no doubt come in useful to many on here in the future.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »
Something that worked for me in one song once was changing the duration of the notes to leave space between them without changing when they fell. Basically, a staccato attack, which left silence between the beats.

That isn't really space in the same way, but the song wasn't working with the notes coming one after the other like usual. It took the staccato to give it some, I don't know, bounce? That song, by the way, has never really been completely finished. I suppose I should get it out and workshop it here (it was in lyrics once) and finish it off. [makes note to self]

Vicki

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
That's a great tip a Paulski. I hardly ever do this.  (At least not by design.) In fact, I can only think of one example in the link below when I have done so.  I think it works but it wasn't a deliberate attempt Toni it even the listener to consider the lyrics.   Now that you have brought it to my attention, will try to do this. 

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/ice-caps

Paul

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
I had also read that about Paul Simon and it is found in quite a few books on songwriting

Another trick to really let a particular word or phrase "sink in", especially if there is space after it, is to use a "delay throw" where you automate the delay so just that single word (or last syllable or phrase) repeats to fill the space

Repetition is the main devise used in songwriting - which can also be a repetition of the first syllable with an almost "stutter" effect a la "My Generstion" and "Love Me Like You Do" - although I don't think I can say these suffer from having complex lyrics!!  ::)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »
I was listening some The Jam the other day and they seem quite often go for cascades of lyrics without much space between, which is a choice but I'd say very often more space works better than less (this may also be a more contemporary approach).

Middle 8s and different contrasting sections can also work well for this - the contrast can give more power to the killer line when it comes back...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
Good comments all.
I think this subject overlaps tension/release approaches too - just as a chorus introduces release, I suppose a gap in lyrics does as well. "Drink from a firehose" lyrics like Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" can be hard to keep up with :)