konalavadome

What Do You Write On?

• 21 Replies

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »
I use a mixture. I prefer to use pen and paper as I find I write better late at night just before bed and prefer not to be staring at a bright screen then.

Once I am getting close to finished I then find it easier to use a computer as I can edit the lyric far more easily. I then move some of them onto wordpress so that I have access to them whenever I am in decent signal or wifi.

I am often out walking and get caught short. In these moments I just sing the lyrics over and over and over until they are ingrained in my brain. Then as soon as possible I will scribble them on anything.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
Its funny how so many people are *still* writing with pen and paper in this day and age. That's not a criticism at all. I do the same - I have a special book in which ideas get jotted down in.
When something is complete I 'immortalise' it by putting it on google docs/keep.

I guess that phones are still a PITA to write quickly with and laptops are not the easiest to carry round (and need starting up, plugging in etc).

However, it just occurs to me...last dec. I bought a stylus for my ipad to take notes for an online course. It was one of the more pricey stylus' - ~£35 or so and it was actually a joy to use and take notes with (in conjunction with an app called GoodNotes). I might start using that instead. Can't believe I havent thought of it til now!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:30 AM »
Lyrics, I write on whatever I have handy.  Then I transpose into the computer. 

Vocal Melodies, I sing into my phone, or mini recorder, or computer. . . again whatever is at hand. 

Music I can only write on the computer. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 07:39:32 AM »
However, it just occurs to me...last dec. I bought a stylus for my ipad to take notes for an online course. It was one of the more pricey stylus' - ~£35 or so and it was actually a joy to use and take notes with (in conjunction with an app called GoodNotes). I might start using that instead. Can't believe I havent thought of it til now!

I would suggest giving Microsoft ONE NOTE a try

It works across all devices and stays in perfect sync

I also really like the way you can organise "sections" and "pages" within sections - it really is like an electronic notebook / scrap book

I have a section for songwriting (you can even record audio - such as melody ideas) and then sections for every area of my life (work logins, personal logins (using prompts for sensitive passwords) and other info such as insurance documents, holiday information etc.)

You can simply copy and paste anything in to it or "cut out" web pages

Knowing I can access "everything from anywhere" is fantastic and I can't recommend it enough!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »

I would suggest giving Microsoft ONE NOTE a try

Now being a software developer, I've grown to be snobbish about microsoft ;)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 03:37:51 AM »
I've been using Microsoft OneNote, too, and love it for the same reasons as Boyd mentioned. It's like multiple filing cabinets with file tabs along the left of the screen. You can have multiple "notebooks" (what I'm calling filing cabinets). I've not yet tried working with sound files in it, but that's coming. I've been singing them into my phone app, but don't like how they start playing on my car stereo when pairing the phone with it.  :D

It's really interesting to read how everybody is organizing their material. I'm mainly using OneNote because I originally used it to journal every day. Now I object write in it every day instead of journaling.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 04:26:28 AM »
I have Scrivener, which sounds similar to OneNote, although I don't know about the synching part, since I mostly don't synch anything except my Contacts in Google. Anyway, I never thought of using Scrivener for writing music.