konalavadome

The strangest things just happened...help!

• 8 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »

Okay, I was playing back a track I'm working on in Logic and the sound starts to splutter and stutter.

I hear a bit of electrical crackle as well and the lights on my interface flash like they do when the computer's booting up.

I then get a pop up saying that my audio device is no longer available and the sound now play's through the Mac's onboard speakers.

Now this has happened once or twice before and I just put it down to one of those things, unplug and replug the usb from the interface and everythings back to normal.

I did that this time and carried on as before. A while later I was recording some vocals and when playing back I notcied that my timing was off, everything was late. Didn't matter how many times I rerecorded, same thing.

I still wasn't putting 2 and 2 together at this point.

Then later still when I started to play some piano I realised that there was some noticable latency, never had that before.

It seems there's something wrong with my interface or it's caused a problem somewhere.

Tried rebooting the computer, no change.

I've fixed the problem temporarily so that I can record by bringing the buffer settings right down but they are now on the lowest setting, way lower than before.

I've not played through the track yet to see if I have any problems but I'm guessing at these settings there will be down the line.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks

Yodasdad

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »
Just an added thought, I'm going to see if there are any software updates while I'm waiting for you genius's to bail me out.

Yodasdad

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:13:36 PM »
Little bugs like this can occur

It is most likely to be a driver issue and not the audio interface itself

I would uninstall and then reinstall (with the most up to drivers) your audio interface
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 10:04:48 AM »
Thanks Boydie,

I'll have a play around and see what I can do.

I seem to remember from looking once before though that the interface doesn't use drivers, something to do with utilising the macs own features??

I remember thinking this was strange at the time.

Thanks

Yodasdad

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
I am not a "Mac guy" so can't really help with that - I do have a Mac/audio guru on hand that I could ask if you get stuck  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
I've had that too,on the odd occasion. Like yourself YD,I just unplugged and plugged in the interface and all was well. My Focusrite doesn't use any drivers either,just plug and play.

I haven't had any latency issues,but I'd be interested to hear any future solutions,just in case.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:43:38 PM by Skub »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
Hi all,

I have a firewire interface (Focusrite) and the plug isnt that tight in the back, needless to say if i go routing around back there, Mac throws a wobbly.

Just a thought, Hope it helps

If not that, defo sounds like a driver issue although most mac compatible interfaces use the core audio system so usually no drivers required.

Sucking eggs etc but are you running the latest updates for your IO interface.?

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:55:24 PM »
Did you ever get to the bottom of this one YD?
I'm having weird latency bother on one track.I'd love to know what I did to cause it, as it's a right ballache.
I noticed the same thing as Andy, the plug on the focusrite is a bit crap, but it hasn't caused latency before.

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »
Hi Skub,

Not as such but I think it's righted itself sort of.

I've been working on a different track (different file in logic) and since then I haven't noticed a problem. I think something might have gone a bit squiffy that was specific to the file I was working on at the time.

Apart from buffer settings there's not a lot else I can think of that would make a difference so it's not worth me wasting time digging around to find the culprit unless it happens again.

As I know you're using logic too now, if you can't solve the problem with the buffer settings or reinstalling interface etc, it might be worth trying copying the tracks into a new file and see if the problem persists.

Yodasdad