konalavadome

Worst Lyrics Ever?

• 37 Replies

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 11:18:03 PM »
I've never got Dylan, so I can't listen to him,  most of his songs are impenetrable to me. From all perspectives.
I happened to hear a song by the Kursall flyers on the radio the other day and the line I laughed at was, 'I knew she'd seen me because she dropped her bikini' . I think the song was  maybe,' little does she know that I know that she knows'. Just bollocks!
Who says lyrics have to be good!?!?
Cheers
Jamie

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 06:13:36 AM »
I cringe along with everybody else sometimes. Bad lyrics abound but who cares? In most cases it's not all important.

I try to write good lyrics but sometimes wish I wasn't so hung up on it. It holds me back.

I think the words are important but the way they are fitted into the song and the final impression they leave is the most important thing isn't it, good or bad? Lots of lyrics look crass written down out of the context of the song. As Del says he would have junked 'She Loves You' and so would a lot of us. I'm not a big Beatles fan and it isn't their best song by a mile but......

A good hook yes, and a good lyrical hook that sticks in the mind. Doesn't have to be Nobel Prize material (ridiculous!)

Good lyrics are always a good thing but bad lyrics are not necessarily a bad thing. That's my view.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »
There are so many bad lyrics out there.  The most annoying lyrics for me have go at to be from the song 'Agadoo' or 'The Time Warp'. They are simply awful!  good lyrics on the other hand - so many spring to mind. One of my favourites is from the magnificent Don Mclaen:

MGM studios can't make enough,
they're  auctioning Dorothy's shoes.
Gable is gone, the good witch is a slut
and I've got the parking-lot blues.

I think there was a time when Don McLean was untouchable as a writer.

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »
Anything written by me  :D

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
I'm a huge Bowie fan and find many of his lyrics puzzling, to say the least! However, his self-confessed worst lyrics are from a early song called " Can't Help Thinking About Me" ...

'My girl calls my name "Hi Dave",
Drop in, come back, see you around if you're this way again...."

Kevin

Mike67

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
Bowie used a few different techniques, including taking a situation and writing about if from different perspectives. He then cut them up and stick them back together in a random order. So there's meaning there, but it's all mixed up. The point is, at the end of the day, it sounds just good.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 02:45:09 AM »
"Grandma got run over by a Reindeer." 

Which line?  Pick one.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2017, 12:33:39 PM »
The most annoying lyrics for me have go at to be from the song 'Agadoo' or 'The Time Warp'. They are simply awful!

Not "The Time Warp"!!!  :o

I love this song and I love Richard O'Brien's writing

Have you seen it in context in the Rocky Horror Show?
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic