• 37 Replies

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
John Lennon - Love

Love is touch, touch is love
Love is reaching, reaching love
Love is asking to be loved

We all know a couple who would have this as "their jam" despite none of the lines making any sense. They're the same couple that will share a toothbrush even though they have two available.

It is reassuring that even Lennon was capable of churning out bad lyrics though. There is still hope 💪

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
Rather than give specific examples I have a general distaste for any lyrics that use 'Yoda speak' especially if it's to force a rhyme. I also feel the same about some arty farty lyrics that people think are clever and poetic and make them seem intelligent when really they are dull, boring and endowed with a vomit inducing sense of self-importance.

Obviously, the idea of a bad lyric like a bad song is totally subjective.Ironically, the fact that we are citing examples here shows that the writers/artists in question have at least created something memorable enough to be discussed - and as alluded to by someone else previously all these songs have enjoyed commercial success that most on here would give their right arm for it we're being totally frank and honest....

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »
I also feel the same about some arty farty lyrics that people think are clever and poetic and make them seem intelligent when really they are dull, boring and endowed with a vomit inducing sense of self-importance.
It's a shame you don't want to name names on this thread S4M88, because this ^^ is how I feel about Bob Dylan a lot of the time. Yes, he's a 'good' lyricist, and yes his lyrics are clever, and yes sometimes the songs and lyrics are very good indeed. But also, they're sometimes self-indulgent, too opaque and just downright meaningless. I'm really not convinced he deserved the nobel prize...
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 12:48:35 PM »
I'm with you 100% on Dylan. Some of his lyrics and songs I love and others I really loathe and just think he is trying way too hard. I have to say at times I feel this way about Paul Simon too but to a much lesser degree.

Mike67

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
"Rather than give specific examples I have a general distaste for any lyrics that use 'Yoda speak' especially if it's to force a rhyme."

But it can work brilliantly sometimes, for example:

No faceless stranger; no crying game
Towards my ear, those words you aim
As the Blackbird sang upon the sceptred plain
Or Turdus merula, to give it its Latin name.

Now that's both poetic and educational.

:)

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 01:24:08 PM »
I echo the right honourable gentleman's remarks regarding Bob Dylan

Over

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 05:00:19 PM »
What you got against our Yoda sing4me88?! :-\

I sense strong in you the dark side is.

Yodasdad

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »

But it can work brilliantly sometimes, for example:

No faceless stranger; no crying game
Towards my ear, those words you aim
As the Blackbird sang upon the sceptred plain
Or Turdus merula, to give it its Latin name.

Now that's both poetic and educational.

:)

That's the subjectivity of taste again. That lyric does absolutely nothing for me I'm afraid. I prefer a conversational style lyric I can connect with not one that has shifted the natural of pattern of words around to get a rhyme. It just really irks me and I can't really explain why I guess  :D

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »
I don't really understand why certain lyricists get under people's skin, for example Bob Dylan. Dylan was the soundtrack to my growing up. His words meant something to me, usually something completely different from what he meant when he wrote them. The same applies to the lyrics of John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie and a host of others over the years.

Can I think of the worst lyrics ever? Not really because all lyrics go with music and some really silly lyrics, like umpah, umpah, stick it up your jumper, make the song, in my opinion. Conversely some strong lyrics go with melodies I don't like.

Interesting discussion though.

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 10:09:03 PM »
I prefer a conversational style lyric I can connect with not one that has shifted the natural of pattern of words around to get a rhyme. It just really irks me and I can't really explain why I guess  :D
i guess a lot of lyrics irk you then    ;)

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »
I don't really understand why certain lyricists get under people's skin, for example Bob Dylan. Dylan was the soundtrack to my growing up. His words meant something to me, usually something completely different from what he meant when he wrote them. The same applies to the lyrics of John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie and a host of others over the years.

Can I think of the worst lyrics ever? Not really because all lyrics go with music and some really silly lyrics, like umpah, umpah, stick it up your jumper, make the song, in my opinion. Conversely some strong lyrics go with melodies I don't like.

Interesting discussion though.

Look me in the eye and say "only time will tell if we stand the test of time" (Van Halen) isn't awful diademgrove.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 06:09:47 AM »
"all these things I don't just say"... (and nothing else matters).

I think this one was written using Google translate...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »

Look me in the eye and say "only time will tell if we stand the test of time" (Van Halen) isn't awful diademgrove.

I can look you in the eye and say the line isn't awful having spent 4 minutes listening to Why Can't This Be Love. They are just words.

Van Halen never floated my boat and I won't be in a rush to buy anything by them after hearing that song. I won't say its awful though. The best you get from me is I don't like it, mainly because of the music.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »
Great discussion  :)

Re. Van Halen - not a fan (but I'm not a fan of heavy rock, anyway - with a few classy exceptions) but their first album was such a game-changer (guitar-wise) that they'll always be high in my estimation.

Dylan... yes... understand. I'm a big Dylan fan, but I have no idea what half his lyrics means. Some days, with the right wine, I'm happy to simply allow the imagery to float over me and accept that there's no story / meaning and many of his orphans and vagabonds are simply there to create random pictures in the listener's mind (of course, he can tell a story, outline a character or situation, with the best of them). Other days, with the wrong wine, those random images simply annoy me and I long to know what's happening.

I don't really have any "worst ever lyrics" that come to mind. Like others have said, the worst lyrics in popular song are still the output of song-writers far more successful than most of us. The Beatles are my favourite band - but if I'd have written "She Loves You Yeah Yeah Yeah" I'd have crossed it out or thrown it away. What do I know?

D.

West Country Country Boy

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »
You. Don't. Dig. Everything. About. Bob. Dylan. ?.?.?.

I'm dizzy, I have to lie down...

;D ;D ;D ;D