konalavadome

ANGEL HEART

• 26 Replies

Steng

• Open Mic
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
I'm an atheist and don't believe in life after death. However after I lost my son in 2010, it made me think.

I've just finished this song and would be interested in views, particularly the mix and if you think the analogue drum machine vibe works.  I have a thing about these 80s sounding drums at the moment...can't help it  :) Obviously any feedback is welcome.  Thanks for listening.

Steng

https://soundcloud.com/steve-cardus/angel-heart

I draped the tree with lights
So if you’re searching for home
It can be your guide

The doors open
Come sit next to me
Well tell me stories
Or just let me hear you breathe
Jo’ said she dreamt you were there

I saw your face in the clouds
Pareidolia phenomenon
Messin’ with my eyes

If you really sit next to me
Please do something I can see
You’ve got an angel heart, let me hear it
Let me hear it

The doors open
Come sit next to me
Well tell me stories
Or just let me hear you breathe
Jo’ said she dreamt you were there

I don’t believe in the afterlife
But with your psychic powers
You could change my mind

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:25:40 AM »
Tough subject to write about Steng and I really admire you for putting this out here. You can pick up the emotion in the song. Nothing wrong with the drums IMO. They sort of add a hypnotic effect to the whole song. Different drums would make the song sound totally different but I think you might lose the effect. There's some very good dynamics going on as well and interesting chord changes. I really liked it.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »
Really tough subject and you've done a great job.

I think the tightness of the drums works really well to give structure to the guitar work (which, by the way is really exceptional: you can really feel the emotion in your playing ) . Also really like the fade at the end.

Excellent contribution, thanks for posting

Kevin

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »
Hey Steng.

Heartbreaking song,man.

As John said,the drums give the track a dreamlike,trance effect which works well with the topic.

Some of the guitar passages remind me of Robbie Robertson's style of playing.

I've always wondered how Clapton was able to perform Tears in Heaven in a live situation. I understand the actual writing and recording is part of the healing process,but I've written songs from a position of hurt that I'd never get though live.

Thanks for sharing Steng.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
Wow man, powerful stuff. I can't imagine what it's like to write such lyrics.

Production wise, it's spot on in my opinion. Great dynamics maintained without any obvious squashing. The guitar parts I particularly thought fit the song perfectly and I love the tone you got. Your voice is emotive and haunting. The drums work well for me.

Brilliant song Mr Steng.

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
that is tripped out and freaky.  i like it.  beyond what this means to you, it is accessible to a lot of people in my opinion. 

Mike67

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »
Can't imagine writing something like this, but you've done an amazing job.  Lyrics are great, chord changes are great, and there's a real atmosphere.  Listened to another of yours on soundcloud, and clearly you have a genuine talent for this.

Mike

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 07:33:10 PM »
Guys I'm really blown away by the feedback, thanks!

Pompey - I'm pleased the emotion showed and you liked the drums, i thought they fitted and their use allowed me to get a fix of those 80s drum machine sounds I'm into right now - cheers.
Kevin - Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about what the drums were doing until you mentioned it, you're right they allow some meandering with the guitar, but it still feels tight..... and thanks for the positives on the guitar work, I want desperately to be a good player.
Skub - I haven't ever really listened to Robbie Robertson, maybe a track or two, so I'll search him out.  I have seen Clapton do Tears in Heaven and thought the same as you.  Writing songs to Jack and about him is therapeutic - keeps him closer - having a conversation with him through music is as close as I can get - I get sort of divorced from the emotion when writing, it's only when I listen to what's been created that it hits me and I may shed a tear.
Bill - For a song of mine to be called brilliant made my day! Thanks man!
Mikek - tripped out and freaky  ;D I'm liking that description a lot! Thanks.
Mike67 - Thanks so much for the great feedback Mike, I toiled for ages trying to get the lyrics right and to get a melody that sounded right over the chords, got there in the end though. It's taught me to keep going back if there's a block - new day new possibilities. Thanks also for sampling something else of mine on soundcloud, means a lot.

Daffodils

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »
A very emotional song. First rate guitar playing and beautiful words.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
brought tears to my eyes..fab guitar work, brave song..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Moomond

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
Agree with Pompeyjazz, the drums change how this song feels. It's an interesting combination, emotive yet trancelike. There's a lovely subtlety to the arrangement and the lyrics. I can't comment properly on the mix as my good speakers have broken on me.

Well done, I adore music that takes emotional courage to produce, it invariably shows through and this is no exception. Also thank you for teaching me the word pareidolia!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
really like this
the beat, the guitars, the lyrics, the voice
laid back, smooth groove.

it's often the case with songs I like - I can't suggest you change anything to improve it.
I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Rightly
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
Wow, I'm sure you're not here for sympathy but I'm sorry that you had reason to write a song like this.

I too think the drums work in this setting.

I enjoyed the mix of the guitars, particularly the wide stereo effect.

It has been compared to 'Tears in heaven' and whilst there are similarities in terms or the subject this feels like a dirtier, raw'er more gritty version to me.

I think occasionally the vocals were a little on the quiet side but apart from that, good stuff.

Yodasdad

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »
I like the vibe of this song but I do think the vocals could be up slightly

cheers

Lilly

LAquila

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
Everything everyone's already said above, Steng. I think those drums are brilliant, as is the rest of the instrumentation.

If this wasn't such a delicate song for you, I think you could promote it as a soundtrack for a ghost film. But it is very deeply personal, obviously, and you should be proud of the way you've managed to come to terms with what must have been an awful time for you.

Strength, mate.

cheers,
L