konalavadome

ANGEL HEART

• 26 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
Hi Steng.

As others have mentioned Much respect for writing this song.  I Won't dwell on the emotional aspect of it, I did want to comment on the music. So the opening guitar riff is totally awesome. You could build any number of great songs from that. In fact all the guitar work on this song is fabulous as are the vocals.

I've got a major problem with the drums and disagree with the others on this forum. I think they let the rest of the song down. Appreciate the effect you are going for here but they just offset the tone too much for me and get irritating to listen almost from the get go. Too tinny and hissy. When you have these deep rich guitar sounds going on, the tinny drums ruin it for me.

I personally think the drums should be more minimalist slacker rock in style. I've mentioned before I think your style reminds me of Pavement and they use this style of drumming very effectively in a lot of their songs. Have a listen to them if you are curious to know what I mean. Brighten the Corners is the album I would recommend.

Cheers Micky.

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and critical feedback. It seems like the drums are a thumbs up from the majority. The seed of the song began with those drums and the opening riff and I found it trancelike and 'trippy' so stuck with it.  I know 100% how a change of drums can completely transform a song, I've done it myself a few times and wow doesn't it change the mood and the emphasis.  I know what you're saying Mr Plankton, but I think I will stick with what's down. I checked out Pavement and the "corners" album is excellent, not sure how they slipped by my all these years! ...and thanks for the kind words on the riff and vocals.
There are are couple of instances where I have deliberately lowered the vocal volume, to add a bit of emotion and atmosphere, but I will deffo have a look to see if I can tweak them up if necessary elsewhere.
Moomond I have used "vuvuzela" in one song a while back and now "Pareidolia" so feeling pretty much an expert linguist right now  ;D thanks to Mr Butterworth the English teacher at my school who I suspect would be very surprised indeed at my transformation.

scaw

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »
A very sad but very nice song with lots of excellent guitar playing. I like the feel of the track and the tone of the guitar.

Scaw

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
Hi, can only agree with others comments about the emotion expressed. Like the guitar sounds they really stood out for me!
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

JoaquinAnton

• Busker
  • Spanish singer-songwriter based in Poland
    • Joaquin Anton
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:53 AM »
Hi Steng,

Beautiful song about a very delicate topic. I really admire your bravery writing about this. Great guitar work as well :)

I have a thought about the mix. I think the drum track itself works, but I feel the bass is not quite filling in for that groove. Since I see that the decision to keep the drums has been made I'd suggest exploring options with the bass.

Cheers,
Joaquin

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »
Scaw, Jamie, Joaquin thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Joaquin, yeah you're right, the bass is somewhat neglected.  There is an E drone here and there but listening again I agree it could do with a touch. Not sure if I can slot much in without muddying the overall mix though. I shall experiment.

Steng

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 02:45:10 PM »
Hello Steng,

I don’t mind the drums at all , they certainly have their own unique charm. 

The acoustic rhythm guitar sounds very good.  I’ve only heard 2 of your songs but think that your rhythm guitar style is very god. The drier vocal sounds great, cutting nicely through the mix and the lyrics, are exceptional. 

Well done

Paul

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »
I hate drums-that-are-not-drums but to my surprise they work brilliantly here. Go figure.... To me they are a little bit to up front in the mix though just a tad (esp the hi hat).  A little more bass would not heart either and up a tad with the vocals I'd say. Heartbreakingly beautiful lyrics. Lovely  guitar. Fab job!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »
The drums work for me, the words are excellent, and the guitar picking throughout flows perfectly. I can't really add anything to all the comments by others. This is one of my favorites. Everything about it seems perfect to me for the subject matter. A really wonderful tribute to your son.

Vicki

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
Paul, Jambrains, Vicki, thanks for the great feedback. I'm not a time served songwriter, still very "green" so to get such positive comments is a real buzz. The song means a lot as you know, so it makes me feel proud that people who are writers themselves think it's good.

Jambrains, I must ditch my lazy head and do the tweaks folks have mentioned, just to finish it off.

Cheers

Steng

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:40 AM »
Interesting premise, Steng! Great concept. the lyrics are interesting, as well. The music creates a "Jim Morrison" like atmosphere, which is cool  8). The recording is so-so (kinda lo-fi) but that doesn't make it bad.....just not what I expected  ;)
All in all, it's a unique piece and a testament to your creativity!
Good stuff!
                            -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
Hi Steng,

Really like the soundscape.
Drums work for me in general. Thought the Hi Hat sound was a touch loud (but I'm not a fan of cymbal sounds in general).
Nice grit in the guitars.

Tough write, well put together.

Digger