I Still Dream Of Jeannie

• 18 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
When I moved to Portsmouth in 96, I didn't realise that he was a Pompey geezer and I also happened to share the same local as him, so I suppose repetitive plays of "Is she really going out with him" on the jukebox must have peed him off a tad, or maybe he had loaded the jb ?

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:00 AM »
Nice collab guys. Really nice, breezy song. Perfect little melody and nice 60s-esque chord structures. Definitely understand the Joe Jackson comparison. It's pretty light instrumentally, but it works like 'Is She Really Going Out With Him?' I'm a fan of the upfront acoustic guitars but couldn't help pining for some jangly guitars in the choruses.

I think you've been way too light and reserved with the harmonies and backing vocals. In the chorus, I can hear the ghost of a harmony there but feel like it should be much louder, and maybe tracked. And why not add a third? You have the lush sixties chords but don't feel like you're making the most of them vocally. Same with the backing vocals in V2, the Ooh-La-Las. If it were me, I'd have those in block harmony too and louder in the mix. I just feel like if you're going to do it, you should REALLY do it, yknow?

Great tune.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
Slightly weird experience, deffo a PaulAds song and then Pompey in my head (see what I did there).

Catchy and poppy - would have gone down a storm in that Happy Valentine's competition.

Not the heaviest lyric but "I can only hit full throttle / When the Jeannie's out the bottle" made my day...

Something Beatle-ish going on in this (simple beat, backing harmonies, middle8, lots of 7th chords maybe?). Enjoyed it.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
Hi

A little bit too polite for my taste, it's nevertheless well performed and produced.
The harmonies work well.
I really like the rising guitar part under the chorus.
Got a good late 70s early 80s pop vibe to it.

Good stuff.

Digger