konalavadome

Hi from a Newbie

• 5 Replies

Steng

• Open Mic
« on: January 28, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
Hi all, I'm Steng from Cheshire.  About three years ago I decided to have a go at learning guitar and a while later I needed an outlet for the few chords I had learnt, so I tried to write a tune using GarageBand a cheap mic and a 'leccy guitar. I eventually produced something which I was pleased with and as I slowly progressed with the guitar playing I applied what I'd learnt to the next tune and on it's rolled from there.

There's a problem sometimes for me; I really want to be a good guitar player and songwriting consumes that time when I should be trying to progress my playing, so I leave the writing to learn some guitar and then I stumble across a good riff and record it and add it to the multitude of riffs and ideas I've got in the mac....no songs though!

I'm too shy to play anything live and not that confident sharing with family and friends.  On here though it's a bit easier. Getting feedback from people who've created something musical (and know the score) is what I'm after, so my stuff can get better. I've written about 12, most are too long, some need improvement, some are OK ( I think), you can be the judge of that.

Listening to the work of others on here has been a pleasure and inspiration to get my creative head on.

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »
Hi

Welcome to the forum dude, although I think I have already commented on one of your songs...

I can totally identify with your learning guitar vs songwriting conundrum I started playing about twenty years ago and was 'writing songs' after I'd learned about two (and a half) chords so I know how songwriting can get in the way of learning guitar...I still cannot do either ;D...

Anyway you WILL pick up a lot of good tips on here, I have and I've only been a member for a few months. The forumites all seem friendly and I've found that reviewing other peoples songs also helps you develop your own skills

Look forward to hearing more of your work

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:17:41 PM »
Interesting to hear where you're coming from Streng and good on you. Good to see that you've jumped in and embraced the forum. I've been a member for about 18 months and the help, critique and encouragement I've received has been amazing and hopefully I'm churning out some better stuff than I was before I joined.  always a dilemma the guitar vs songwriter stuff. If only we all had a bit more time.  BTW welcome  :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 10:01:07 PM »
Hi Steng

Yeah, I'm sure I've also commented on one of your songs, welcome. I'm newish too. For me, songwriting took over guitar heroics, or anything approaching that many years ago. Each to their own, but the guitar and all the other instruments I dabble in these days are my tools, rather than the end game. You got a bass guitar yet? Really good fun!

Cheers, Bill

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
Hi Steng,

Your story sounds like a familiar one to me, one passion eating in to the time of another and yet they're both inseparably intertwined, with one feeding the other. I have a similar problem with piano.

Look forward to hearing some of your stuff.

If it's rubbish, we'll tell you and then you can get on with your guitar practice.

JUST KIDDING! :D

We're a friendly bunch really.

Bite the bullet and bang a song up (if you haven't already and I've missed it).  There'll be plenty around to give you pointers, if you need them that is.

Yodasdad

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
I'm too shy to play anything live and not that confident sharing with family and friends.  On here though it's a bit easier. Getting feedback from people who've created something musical (and know the score) is what I'm after, so my stuff can get better. I've written about 12, most are too long, some need improvement, some are OK ( I think), you can be the judge of that.

You have definitely found the right place

The reason I love this forum so much is that every single member is in the same boat and regardless of how good/experienced we are we  all want the same thing - honest feedback on our songs

Everyone also seems to instinctively "get" when to provide feedback, encourage and a critique and 99% of the time the balance is perfect for the member posting

The 1% of the time it doesn't go right is usually due to the original poster not being specific on what feedback they want (or they assume their song is perfect and should not received any negative feedback but luckily that is very rare!!)

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to listening to your songs
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic