konalavadome

Golden Nuggets

• 33 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 25, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
I'm not sure if something like this has been posted before (probably) but I thought it would be good to hear people's no 1, best of the best recording/producing/mixing tip. The kind that you would save for your only child and whisper with your dying breath.

So that people really think about this, only one per poster!

Apart from Boydie of course, he probably can't break wind without a great recording nugget dropping out he's got so many, so he can post more than one.  ;D

I would give myself the same privilege but I think I only know one.

To start us off, mine is thus...

Everything sounds better with a touch of reverb.
(Don't overdo it though, you weren't recorded in the Grand Canyon now were you?)

Yodasdad

Ps feel free to break the rules if you want but let's have your best first.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:12:24 PM by Yodasdad »

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
Discovering Waves plugins and actually learning how to use some of them has taken my mixes and production up a notch for sure. I have Sonar Platinum which has a load of stuff included but many of the Waves plugins are at the next level, it has really made a difference to my music.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
If I could only impart one piece of advice (although thank you for the free pass to add more  ;D) it would be...

When adding EQ or FX - increase the effect until you can hear it and then back it off a touch

eg

When adding a High Pass Filter crank it up until is starts affecting the sound in a bad way (eg starts to make a vocal sound "thin") and then back it off a bit

When adding reverb - add it until you can hear it, then back it off a touch

I honestly think this single nugget is the main difference between an obviously "amateur" mix and a mix most people agree sounds good
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
Use the solo button only to audition or edit takes. For mixing listen with all the tracks...

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »
mine is:

Get the lead vocal level right. Not too loud, and not too soft.
Lead vocal rules the mix.

Same goes for any instrument that has the lead.

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »
Record your vocals at low levels and make sure you "deaden" your recording room as much as possible. I use an old duvet to surround the vocals mic

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
Use a reference track, preferably import it into your DAW which makes comparison between the two easier.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:45 PM »
The sheer fact what two things panned equally in opposite directions doesn't just cancel each-other out, but can be used to add dimension.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
mine is:

Paul

So true. And we spend oodles of time getting every aspect of instrumentation right, but the harsh fact is - most casual listeners focus almost entirely on the vocals. (Well, according to my wife anyway. I mean I agonise over getting that bass guitar riff or drum fill just perfect and she doesn't even notice! It's all about the vocals).

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:07:52 AM »
Gain staging!!!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
mine is:

Paul

So true. And we spend oodles of time getting every aspect of instrumentation right, but the harsh fact is - most casual listeners focus almost entirely on the vocals. (Well, according to my wife anyway. I mean I agonise over getting that bass guitar riff or drum fill just perfect and she doesn't even notice! It's all about the vocals).

you make a good point...the average listener (which we are not) just hears the song, they don't care about our pain and suffering during the recording process...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 08:07:07 AM »
Record your vocals at low levels and make sure you "deaden" your recording room as much as possible. I use an old duvet to surround the vocals mic

you need to be careful with this John, your reducing the hi frequencies but not the low frequencies (which are much harder to get rid of)..so you could end up with a boomy vocal..ie hi frequencies removed, low frequencies not removed, better to reduce reflections from certain parts of the walls, particularly corners..low frequencies love corners...

best, Kevin :) :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
love corners...
Now those are kinky spots to record in  ;D ;D
Must be a bedroom studio...

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »
And that's why Paulski's good with his lyrics, coz he spots connections like that.

I feel a song coming on...

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »
Not sure if it's a golden nugget, but perhaps my most significant 'lightbulb moment' was realising that arrangement and EQ are two sides of the same coin. If you deliberately avoid clashing registers when writing parts, especially with instruments of similar timbre, you will end up with a clear, open, big sounding mix before you start tweaking and notching EQs.

In fact, a great arrangement might not need EQing - balance the levels and you're good to go.  

This is what classical composers have to do - if the parts aren't balanced, your orchestra is going to sound like poo, regardless of how good they are. You can't rely on EQ in an acoustic concert setting.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l