konalavadome

Golden Nuggets

• 33 Replies

dill

• Busker
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
Cool thread! I was going to say gain staging as well, but I'll avoid repetition!

My top tip: Do rough comps as you track, and be brutal with which takes you keep.

Ok, it's quite specific, but if you use a DAW that allows you to comp (Logic in my case), you'll know the issue I'm talking about. Comping is amazing, but it's all too easy just to record loads of takes and deal with it later. Problem is, sifting through even 10 takes of the same part at a later date is arduous work, especially if you're a perfectionist when it comes to getting the best performance.

So, be 'brutal' when you're tracking. What I mean is, instead of keeping a take because there's just one good part in it, delete it and play it again. You can play it better! It's hard when you're recording yourself because you're basically playing the role of a producer by doing this, but it's worth it in the end. Ultimately, you'll end up with a much better performace and save yourself the time and hassle of having to sift through hundreds of takes later on! Plus, you're likely to end up with more complete takes.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 07:22:16 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:37:38 PM by Johnnyuk »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
Use your ears........Nuff said

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?