Feel It Like The Sun

• 15 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
One of my friends was recently diagnosed with a particularly virulent form of Lung Cancer and it inspired me to write this one ...  would love comments/ feedback.

https://www.reverbnation.com/kevinism/song/27554640-feel-it-like-the-sun

Feel It Like The Sun

I could see it in the smiles they didn't mean
I could hear in their voices, not coming clean

Chorus

I can feel it like the sun going down
I can feel it like the sun
Going down, going down
Down on me

I could see it in your eyes that couldn't lie
There is nothing you can do, so please don't try

Chorus

Can you touch me one time before the night?
You will see another dawn, you'll be alright

You will feel it like the sun shining down
You will feel it like the sun
Coming up, coming up
It's a brand new day

Thanks,

Kevin

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »
Very effective lyric. Excellent way to interpret the mood. No nits. I know nothing's ever perfect, but I wouldn't want to touch this or mess with it in any way. I find it very moving. Maybe partly because there are some people in my life who are terminal with lung cancer. Anyway, it really speaks to me.

Vicki

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
I like it very much - a touch of retro about it but still stands up to modern piece - reminds me of something but cant put my finger on it. nice song

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
nice tune.  really like the melody and the hook.  great job.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »
You've dealt with the subject very well and it sounds good..well done..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
Tough topic to write about, hope your friends coping okay.

Enjoyed the song, particularly the melody in the chorus and the guitar work.

The lyrics were strong but I personally wouldn't have worked out the specific subject if I hadn't read your description. Not necessarily a bad point, just my observation.

Well done for writing this.

Yodasdad.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »
Hey Kevin

Good to hear one of your songs - I've been around a long while but have been largely absent recently whilst I try and get my chops together so this is the first one of yours I've heard. I really like it. I'm not normally one for harmonies (unless it's The Band) but I really like the vocals and dual guitar parts here (really like your guitar style / choice of notes). This reminds me of something that I really like - but I can't place it. Something from the seventies - maybe Lou Reed or Alex Harvey... But I don't know. I'll get it over the next few days. Great stuff - and a tough subject. Not sure the lyrics were overt enough without the explanation, but does that matter?

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:12 AM »
Nice song. I like how the vocal sounds so loose and natural and I like the octave doubling - works well.
Good vocals, guitar work, thought the fade out could be smoother but that's really scraping the bottom for nits.

Enjoyed the song - nice work!
Paul

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
Hi, this song has a nice melancholy feel to it in keeping with the subject matter. I really like your voice on this one, it's particularly effective, maybe a bit bowie esque. Nice guitar sounds too.
Very good!
Cheers
Jamie

Steng

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
Weird how bad sh*t gets the creative juices going, I'm the same, I just have to spew out stuff in the form of a song. I love everything about this, vocals have a Floydian vibe at times. I particularly like the guitars, all gelling well and dancing around each other to make a beautiful noise. Excellent.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 11:39:06 PM »
Hey there...very inspirational. I love the originality with the melody and lyric  ;)
Good production of a raw recording. The performances are good and effective.
Cool stuff!
My hat's off to your originality 8)
                                                                  -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »
Really nicely written with the two aspects of the sun... I normally prefer very tight vocals if doubled but here the various elements interplay really well to underline the emotions.

May be just me - the bass sounds right in the heavier sections but I thought poked through a bit much in the quieter sections so perhaps some automation could help balance that out...?

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »
Many thanks for the feedback. I have posted a slightly updated version incorporating a couple of the suggestions.

May be just me - the bass sounds right in the heavier sections but I thought poked through a bit much in the quieter sections so perhaps some automation could help balance that out...?

Well spotted: I have taken the bass volume down in the verse sections.

.... thought the fade out could be smoother but that's really scraping the bottom for nits.

Enjoyed the song - nice work!
Paul

Agreed and I have smoothed in the new version.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »
 Hey Kev,

Not at all what I expected after reading your context and lyrics, the music came in much, much stronger than I was anticipating.

Was a pleasant surprise though, really powerful and great vocals - felt borderline messy at times but I think that added to that overwhelming feeling I think you were going for and I much prefer that than overly clean.

At 3:20 it's not particularly a short song, and I know a good song always has the listener begging for more, but this one left me longing a bit too much - and reckon this suits to being longer personally so would love to hear a 5 minute version with some more extensive musical breaks.

Fantastic listen, and best wishes to your friend!

All the best,
Scott

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »
Sometimes when something terrible happens like your friends experience, it can be just the added bit of raw ingredient that goes into the song. I like this, it has a raw edginess and a sixties feel which I really like. I'm thinking Faces. Good lyrics and structure. Nice work Kev