What to do with my music?

• 4 Replies

DAKnox

• Busker
« on: February 23, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »
Hi,

I'm just starting to write and record an instrumental prog album.

I'm doing it for fun. But I also wonder will it just sit on my PC?

What or where are the best places to place your music online?

Is Bandcamp good? What other options are there? I'm not bothered about money, I'd just like to think someone somewhere heard it and liked it!

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »
i have tried soundclick, soundcloud, reverbnation, something else i cannot recall, and bandcamp.  i prefer bandcamp.  i find it a much cleaner website, and it doesn't spam its users like other sites do.  it doesn't require an account in order to listen to songs and looks more professional to me.  Plus, they allow upload of high quality WAV files.  i have noticed that my songs sound 'different' on reverbnation, than they do before i upload them to the site.  i believe they run all the uploads through some sort of normalization and EQ utility for some reason.  i don't like it much.  i do use soundcloud to throw a quick and dirty mp3 up so i can link to it here, while i am working on a song...but once i think i'm done, i move it to bandcamp.

DAKnox

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
i have tried soundclick, soundcloud, reverbnation, something else i cannot recall, and bandcamp.  i prefer bandcamp.  i find it a much cleaner website, and it doesn't spam its users like other sites do.  it doesn't require an account in order to listen to songs and looks more professional to me.  Plus, they allow upload of high quality WAV files.  i have noticed that my songs sound 'different' on reverbnation, than they do before i upload them to the site.  i believe they run all the uploads through some sort of normalization and EQ utility for some reason.  i don't like it much.  i do use soundcloud to throw a quick and dirty mp3 up so i can link to it here, while i am working on a song...but once i think i'm done, i move it to bandcamp.

Cool, thanks.  Do you normally just upload a song to Bandcamp when it's done or upload as a full album? Does it seem like people can find it easily on there?

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
i only recently started using bandcamp.  thus far i have only uploaded singles. i don't know that people will easily find music by some happy accident, via any of these sites.  i believe in order to get people to find the music, they need to be led there by another means.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »
I am a big fan of SOUNDCLOUD

i don't know that people will easily find music by some happy accident, via any of these sites.  i believe in order to get people to find the music, they need to be led there by another means.

+1,000,000

If you want people to hear your stuff you need to find ways to get them to listen - getting everything written, recorded and out there is just the first step

Posting songs here will be a good start
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic