Memories of you

• 7 Replies

Mike67

« on: February 20, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
This is a new lyric, which has a melody etc, but I'm undecided on whether it needs more, perhaps another verse or a bridge to get more of the story across.  The lyric came out of the death of my partner's mother, who had Alzheimer's.  By the end of her life, her home had gone, along with most of her possessions, and she didn't really know if she was coming or going; but she still had strong memories of when she was young.  I didn't want to go there with this song, and I wanted to keep it reasonably up beat. Looking at it now, it definitely needs a 3rd verse, but welcome views on this or anything else.

Mike

Memories of you

A rusted car               
An old guitar            
A photograph of you         
That’s all I have in life         
But it’s enough to get me through      
My body hurts            
My legs don’t work         
And my hair’s stopped growing too      
But I have memories,             
Memories of you      

Memories of singing in the park               
Sometimes I hear those blackbirds singing after dark       
Memories of times we shared when we didn’t have a care      
Oh, those memories still linger there               

A busted bed
To rest my head
That was never meant for two
That’s all I have in life
But’s it’s enough
I’m feeling old
My body's cold
And my mind is failing too
But I have memories
Memories of you

Chorus
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:04:04 AM by Mike67 »

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Alzheimers is a terrible thing. The lyrics here are brilliant.

A bridge and third verse would be good but if you can't think of lyrics it could always be instrumental or singing non-words

If you're really stuck for a third verse you can always repeat the first verse at the end like so many artists do

Great write

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
This mostly works for me. My mother has dementia, and I can relate to most of the lyric. Every journey is different, of course.

I wonder the most about one line: "Sometimes I hear those blackbirds singing after dark". When I see "Memories of singing in the park", I interpret that as meaning a person or people doing the singing, and the memory is a nostalgic connection to that event. Then it goes to the blackbirds and I don't understand. And the next line confirms (for me, anyway), my original connection to the first line as a memory by or about people.

Should there be some specific idea or feel I should be getting from the blackbirds line and I'm just totally missing it? If not, perhaps that line could be changed somehow to fit with the other two, maybe expanding a little on the memories of the park. Something like, "Arm in arm we ramble and talk till after dark". Or whatever fits your story.

That's my only real nit, and it might be just my lack of perception. In other news, I don't think hair ever really stops growing while one is still alive, but I can understand feeling like it does, because it may slow down, and often it does start falling out faster, so one has less, one way or the other. Regardless, I think the line suits the song.

I like this one, the message and the way you tell it. I'm interested in hearing how it works when set to music.

Vicki

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:56:50 AM »
This works for me even without knowing the backstory.  In fact, I didn't really tie the lyric to the backstory in my mind.  Left it with only the meaning my mind supplied, and it was still very moving. 

I disagree that it needs more (the third verse).  What story is left to tell?   As a suggestion, if you want, Repeat 1/2 of the first verse as a "bridge to out."  That way, the song opens and closes on the same lines.  I'd be very careful of just adding additional lines to stretch the song.  It's saying a lot already. 

Unless you are going to add some new information, emotion, or "payoff" I wouldn't add much more. 

Love your style.  Everything you write is easy to sing to first time through.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Mike67

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:39:49 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  I'll repeat the first half of the first verse as an outro and perhaps an instrumental section to break it up.  The Blackbirds reference is a personal memory from my time in Liverpool, where a few of us spent a lazy Sunday singing and drinking in Sefton Park, and rewriting the Beatles' 'Blackbirds'; I wont say what we came up with. It's a fond memory, and it works for me; others can interpret it as they will.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
This is a very nice lyric

Not all songs need more than 3 verses if you put more the strength of the message might get lost
if performing it just repeat the chorus 2x at the end of song

cheers
Lilly

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:10:19 AM »

Hello,
     Really like this. The second verse may not live up to the first, but that would take some doing. It's long enough for me, doesn't need another verse to make me feel.

A connection
                                   vintage54

Mike67

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:07:04 AM »
Thanks Vintage, and agree.  Changed the second verse and think it hits home a bit more now.
Works better for me, certainly.

Mike