konalavadome

UK Songwriting Contest

• 23 Replies

Zelig

• Busker
    • Isocelus
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »
Hi gentlemen,
I got a mediocre 6 and two pathetic fives.. I must say I was surprised. Not at my scores but at the winners, just like some of you were.  These songs were cliche songs made with neither talent nor imagination. I’ve heard much better songs here than those winners. This was the first time and last time for me. It’s a waste of time and money.

A contest in this forum would be great!!

Ryan

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
Hi, I'm new here but I have browsed the site occassionally and was interested in all your thoughts of this competition. I entered 2 songs each with a lowly score of 5. After a few searches of the scores only 11 entries did not get a commended or better and only 172 got a score of 4 and there were alot of entries. I have no conclusion of what it means but I noticed that some entrants who placed a number of entries in a single category would get at least one highish score and entrants in the lyrics section mainly seemed to get 6/7 or 8 scores (well in the 150 results returned that could be viewed, there are more but the database won't let me view them).

My thoughts on the winners are that the judges don't see past production which they state they don't do when entering, and the winning songs were bland. Not sure I would enter again as after looking at the scores it all appears a bit random and think the actual judges only listen to a small handful of entries. The winning song in the rock section was enjoyable but was just an AC/DC copy (nothing to get too excited about as one of the judges apparently did) so maybe next year I'll just get an Aerosmith backing track, replace the lyrics and enter that.

Kafla

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »
Hi Ryan,

I too have randomly searched the database and have yet to find a song scoring lower than 5 despite the FAQ's stating that the majority of songs would score 4 or lower.

I am beginning to suspect that this competition is carefully geared to give you just enough to enter again next year.

I had no expectation of winning but now feel that I have been scammed >:(

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »
didn't enter this contest, have never entered any songwriting contests.
However, a little friendly one here could be fun. If you are worried about people not reviewing/voting/listening, then the rules can be that in order to enter you have to vote, and in order to vote you have to have listened to at least ½ of each song or something...

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
Kafla... whereas what we're saying is edging on sounding like 'sour grapes', I don't think I'll be entering again. The winner of the pop category has shocked me to be honest. I'm pleased for the guy BUT that song scored 10?! It has knocked my confidence in the competition.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

Kafla

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
That's just madness DWG ???

You get amazing feedback on your songs on here, people really enjoy your songs

Getting a couple of 7s now looks very good in the context of this forum and looks very respectable

You need to start believing in your ability more

However although the winning song wasn't my bag it was a well produced and accomplished composition

The truth is , and this is something I realised when I entered, is that music isn't a competion - you need to treat any competition as a bit of fun ;D

Doth be disheartened :)

Ryan

• Busker
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 09:03:32 PM »
I agree that the competition should be viewed as fun but it's also not sour grapes to be questioning how this or any songwriting competition judges the songs and it's good to hear the point of view of serious (maybe for fun like me) songwriters.  I have some views that you may agree with or don't:-

1) The judges in advance may have songwriters they know and want to push and use this competition as a vehicle.
2) They score entries which are linked to websites (like this) higher than those that are entered via mp3 as they believe these songwriters are more serious about their art and maybe more inclined to enter next year.
3) That they score everyone just high enough to give them encouragement to continue entering each year (which might enable the judges to buy their next mercedes)
4. That any judge that gets excited about an AC/DC copy hasn't even heard of Airbourne that already do a good AC/DC impersonation and is just wowed by a good riff and production.
5. That unless you sound like Enya, Sting or Michael Bublae your songs worthless.
6. I don't think the judges listen carefully to each song or want to.
7. And maybe just me but  for me the winning lyrics were appalling.

Sour grapes maybe but who cares, not the judges who had a lot of entries!!!

Kafla

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
I agree it's not sour grapes - I don't recall anyone saying this

I also am coming round to your thinking Ryan, I think it is a money making exercise and very clever it is

I don't think I will enter next year

Ryan

• Busker
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »
A reponse above mentioned 'possible sour grapes' so was just referring to that, I'm just interested in other views on this (and any other songwriting contest) for the reasons I questioned above and because I'm sure there were better entries than the winners.