konalavadome

Canticle

• 5 Replies

Mike67

« on: February 25, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
Canticle is another one of my looped songs - I have 3 in the making.  Chords are D/Dsus4/D5/Dsus4, played in a loop. The lyrics are recycled from a song I was trying to write, but it didn't quite work.  It's effectively a chant that ponders a world where we didn't need words such as hunger and greed. I'm planning to use this as a prelude to the EP or album I'm trying to write.

I'm set on the lyrics and basic structure, but any pointers on mixing and production, etc would be most appreciated.  

Many thanks,

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/mike-warnes/canticle-no1

Lyrics:

No regrets
No remorse
No sympathy
No minor chords

No need for reason
Nor for rhyme
So little hope
So little time

No word for colour
Nor for creed
No word for hunger
No more greed
No need for justice
Nor for strife
One word for love
Oe word for life

No religion
No reward
No difference
No battles fought
No need to stand
No arms to call
No need to yield
No men to fall

c. Mike Warnes, 2017
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:48:29 PM by Mike67 »

Outss

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
Nice simplistic take on the lyricism, displaying an almost utopian vision of the world; what could be. Although some may this as a folk cliché , wanting a world where nothing bad happens. Yet counter culture is folk in a nutshell anyway, so who cares.. The chords work, didn't sound too repetitive as the song wasn't too long, I liked that it didn't have a chorus actually.. though some may disagree (could have a key change in the chorus etc) .. Keep the creativity up!! Peace

Outss
I do songs, Vlogs and beats that are H o t

www.youtube.com/outss1

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 07:21:14 PM »
Like it. It's very well produced. Love the balance of instrumentation. It's the right length at 2 minutes. The music and melody raise it above the average. The lyrics don't unfortunately as they are a bit derivative, but overall a good effort. Cheers Micky.

Mike67

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:36:17 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can do something more original with this, and shelve it if not. Shows you can get a little bit lost inside your own world sometimes. A good lesson and helpful feedback.

Mike

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
Hi,

I really enjoyed this to begin with but by two thirds of the way through I was yearning for a change of chord sequence.

Nice blend of sounds and the second guitar coming in works well (think there might be a very slight timing problem when it's playing over the vocal, but could just be my ears)

Lot of potential here, personally I'd extend and develop this more.

Yodasdad

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
Hi, nice idea pretty well executed, could be a mood piece prior to an instrumental or part of some prog rock opus ;). I think there was a timing issue around the half way mark, but other than that well produced and played. I also think a change near the end would keep the interest up.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie