konalavadome

Are you happy with your songwriting?

• 24 Replies

Mike67

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
I'm reasonably content with the lyrics I write when I'm at my best, but I'm at my best too infrequently. No where near satisfied with my tunes though. Got a long, long way to go there, and as to my playing and production, I'm already too old to learn what I need to learn. But I enjoy it.

Mike

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
I  think that most of us are blessed as songwriters.  When I was a younger man, the opportunity to realise potential re writig skills was largely unfulfilled.  I'm harking back to a time  when  studio sessions were veryexpensive.  My early recordings were rushed -  often 3-4 songs recorded and mixed over 2 days.  Today, music software is affordable to many.  We can take as long as we want to produce elaborate demos and if our musiscianship allows, we have access to multiple software instruments via a keyboard that compliment our writing in a way that was dificult to dream of previously.

I think it is important for musicians to be happy with their ability at any given time and then patiently improve as they progress.  However, I'm constantly impatient with myself, always wishing that I had greater ability. 

It was always my intention to write songs from the very beginning.  When I wrote my early songs,  I was so excited about my achievements.  I now look back and see how naive my lyrics were but that is youth.  I could only write about my limited life experiences.  I was always happy with my ability to write vocal melodies.  Fast forward 35 years and I am so proud and delighted with my ability to write melodies and often lyrics.  I am never really dissapointed.  Having said that I listen to the writers that I admire most and realise that they are so advanced.  In particular, I think of Roddy Frame.  He is such a brilliant musician that his songwriting obviously benefits from this.  I don't expect to ever be at that level.  I don't expect to gather the same varied life experiences afforded by fame and money.  This too, I think helps a songwriter mature. 

I now look back on the body of work that I have created over the last 8-10 years and am so proud of my achevements.  I am especially delghted with the melodies that I write and pleased with the lyrics too.  I don't for one second think that I am the finished item but I believe that I have achieved a level that I am happy with.  I would have to devote every waking hour to the craft of writing and playing an instrument to improve further.  I'm a little bit lazy now.  I promise to teach myself new approaches but I rarely do so.  :-) .  I know that a great band can make a huge difference to the final recordings, as can a great producer.  Overall, I am happy with my songwriting achievements.  I never seem to experience writers block.  I also know that I'm never going to take on the world.  My greatest motivation is knowing that I can leave audio recordings behind for my children, grand-children etc when I am no longer here.  I'm delighted that they will hopefully  be able to listen and maybe think 'my great granfather lived and had all of these emotions which, he communicatd through song.  I suppose, in that context, I am very happy. :-)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »
No, but I keep on trying! When I started writing I knew very little and whilst I still probably don't know much I can see a linear progression in my songs, from a writing but also technical in terms of arrangement and recording. My current song is usually my favourite, but through the prism of time I can see that it is recommended to review songs and performances! I still enjoy it so that's the main thing!I was in bands when I was young and because of life I didn't play much for a long time, but I have some time now to indulge myself in a way that I couldn't have dreamed of due to the availability of relatively cheap recording technology!
Cheers
Jamie

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
Interesting thread.
Recently I've been working hard to write more lyrics but generally I'm satisfied that i've got my songwriting to a decent level but there is more to explore.
Singing, open mic and perhaps a proper LP are in my sights, after completing FAWM, although I think I should take break but i am compelled to write.
This forum and going on songwriting courses have been fabulous to help push me on, so thanks everyone.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
There are songs songs of which I guess I am prouder than others.
I do think that I am, generally, a pretty good lyricist. Although, I would like to become a better story-telling lyricist. That is something that I am working on -- being less abstract and more of a storyteller. I think that I have a couple of tunes that I am proud of in that way. But, I do tend to think too much, or so my wife tells me.
And I think that all that thinking does also slow me down as a writer and make me a whole lot less prolific than I could be.
So, in that way, I suppose I am not happy -- with my output, quantity-wise.
Also, I would love to be able to get a little more complex with my compositions, but my limited knowledge in the whole theory thing limits me there.
So... generally... happy with a lot of my songs. But I can definitely see room for improvement.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 04:52:55 PM »
There are definitely fascinating things in what I write but when I comes down to it I'm with Kev, never good enough, always trying to get better!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 06:41:15 PM »
One further thought is the heathy challenge and inspiration to get better comes from this forum.
I often think I wish i'd written that or what would - insert your favourite forumite here - do, then i knick the idea and ruin it , recycle it. appropriate it..
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:53 PM »
Normally I write something and think "hey that's pretty good" only to hate it in a year's time, so no I guess I'm not overall happy with my songwriting! I always compare my songs to other people's and right now I'm listening to a lot of Ed Sheeran, so my musical self esteem is pretty low. The guy can write a bloody good tune!

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
No, it takes too long.  ;)

I'm a sprinter musically, but a sloth lyrically. And as a songwriter you can't have one without the other, so my musical side patiently, between rushes, stroll along forward, waiting for the lyrical side of me to catch up. Occasionally looking back "You coming?"

Other than that, sure, it's moving in the right direction. Just hoping I never fully reach whatever destination I'm heading at.

While I'm trying to figure out how to pick up the pace, it is a gratifying walk.

Peter

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 09:48:44 PM »
No, it takes too long.  ;)

I'm a sprinter musically, but a sloth lyrically. And as a songwriter you can't have one without the other, so my musical side patiently, between rushes, stroll along forward, waiting for the lyrical side of me to catch up. Occasionally looking back "You coming?"
It's such a relief to know I'm not the only one! And considering I write for a living, you'd think lyrics would just pour out of me, but it's not the case. Writing for work actually makes it harder for me to sit down and write anything outside of work. I'm bloody sick of words ;) But musically, I can churn stuff out till morning to night.

Having read everyone's replies and given the original question more consideration, I think the best answer (for most here too) is: happy enough to carry on.

I tip my hat to every one of you talented folks :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l