konalavadome

what is your DAW

• 29 Replies

mikek

• Open Mic
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »
i started out with cakewalk long ago.  never really clicked with me.  i had a heck of a time making heads or tails of it.  someone on a forum recommended a product called n-track audio which i used for awhile.  made a lot more sense to me than cakewalk but it was a bit clunky, and crashed frequently.  after that i tried Reaper and liked it enough that i made the purchase and have been using it ever since.  it is a well written app and has good support, lots of online tutorials, etc.  overall its great, but sometimes i find it very complex.  many deep menus in which i can get easily lost.  today, i've downloaded a free app that came with a recording interface i purchased not long ago, Abelton Live ~ lite.  it's installing as i type this post.

what is your favorite DAW?

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:49 PM »
It's Logic Pro for me Mike. As I have said in a previous post.  I loved Logic 8 which I really understood quite well. I'm now working my way through a Logic Pro X book.  My interface is a line 6 KB37 keyboard and I run Addictive drums too.  I'm doing my best to reignite my passion for music, writing and recording once again.  I don't ever think that Ai'll stray from Logic.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:04:17 PM by Wicked Deeds »

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »
i've heard that Logic is the most affordable, best alternative to pro-tools. is it correct that logic is mac only?

i'm on an older windows 7 notebook

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
I read that too Mike.  Logic is bought via a download from the Apple Store.  It no longer comes boxed with manuals and discs as previous versions did.  I guess that's how the price is kept low. It's still extremely powerful and versatile.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:37:33 PM »
I am a Cakewalk SONAR Platinum user

I wrote the review of Sonar X2 for "Future Music" magazine so it was a great exercise to formally review all of the features

LOGIC was a bit of a game changer for the DAW market as the low price point has limited what other software companies can realistically charge for their DAWs

All DAWs have their own strengths & weaknesses - but audio quality is usually the same

It is more about "feel" and "workflow" when choosing a DAW IMHO
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:28:32 AM »
I just didn't have the cash for anything but Reaper but I've grown to befriend it. I've never found anything that I wanted to do that it couldn't. There are a few annoying workflow issues - but I suspect they all have them to a greater or lesser extent and for me I doubt the investment in learning a new system would compensate for any possible advantages.

I'm also very glad to have gone with a DAW from the outset rather than something less powerful and Reaper made that possible for me...

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:39:34 AM »
Cakewalk,
If you read the reviews the differences between DAW's is narrowing all the time as they mature.

Regardless of which one you needed to invest in learning how a DAW works. For me changing from  analogue gearI wanted a PC based one, I had probably 6 months of frustration and now 4 years on its second nature. It doesn't interfere in the recording process and is quick and stable.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
I use Podium Free for the obvious reason...but I really like it. It's nice to work with and has done everything I've wanted it too so far. It doesn't come with loads of bundled stuff (bit like Reaper) but there's plenty of good stuff out there anyway...just makes the process a bit longer not always having things on hand and having to search them out.

Cool brushed metal-look interface too which is essential.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »
I'm a long time Cubase user but have recently moved to Mixbus32C, it sounds great and dead easy to use... :) :)
Don't hardly use any 3rd party VST's now....just delay and verb :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »
Logic since 1995.

JonDavies

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »

Garageband

*hides*

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
I've been a Cakewalk Sonar user for almost 10 years now I think. It's true that the major DAWs have basically converged and all are so powerful that most users will only use a small fraction of the features/VSTs / effects etc.

What I do like about Sonar Platinum, apart from its familiarity which allows me to work quickly, is that if I ever get stuck there is a FANTASTIC users' forum. The guys on there are so helpful, and issues are answered within minutes normally. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of Cakewalk's own technical support which is not so good at present.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 09:03:01 PM »
Cubase for me. The first one came free with the Behringer mixing desk I bought. Started with Audacity and moved on. Cubase suits me and haven't felt the need to try anything else.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:16:51 PM »
I use Magix Samplitude. I started with their products years ago and found that, once you are used to one DAW, it's tough to switch. I purchased Cake Walk/ Sonar but never got around to using it. Likewise, a friend I was collaborating with got me to purchase Reaper, but in the end we both switched to Samplitude.

It has a lot of built in functionality, including a good library of Drum/ Instrument loops. The biggest drawback is that the documentation reads like it was machine translated from German. (Magix are a German company.)

I also once purchased a "Samplitude Pro" upgrade but found that it didn't really offer anything much extra that was useful to me.

My biggest wish would be have a built-in "live" drummer that automatically played along and in time. (I have BFD3 but have not yet mastered it ...)

Kevin