konalavadome

Rolled in Glitter

• 16 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:32:37 PM »
Not long before I discovered this forum I functioned as any other human. I worked,ate and slept. After playing in bands for 15 years or so,my disillusioned musical creative outlet was in hibernation and I dedicated myself to seeing how fast I could ride on a motorcycle without dying. Truth be told,I was fast because didn't care if I lived or died.

Anyone can be that person. My best mate took it to the conclusion at the age of 30. I often muse,it ought to have been me.

My life from childhood made me a walled off person. I was hard,unfeeling and utterly self centred. When my buddy died doing what we both enjoyed,the walls came down. What was left was a raw,unprotected and very vulnerable person. Nothing at all like I wished to be. I was ashamed to be so weak.

I tried like you wouldn't believe to rebuild those walls,but the material was so ineffective that even a sad story in a newspaper would reduce me to tears. I've never regained my hard composure,I'm broken,but I rediscovered a way of coping by channeling the hurt and the anger into songs and this brings me to where I am now.

Sorry for the ramble,dear folks,but in many ways the sharing of my music with you all has helped me come to terms with the fact that life changes and we all change too.

Rolled in Glitter is the culmination of my time with Martin and Fiona Magill,born out of years playing the wedding/corporate thing,the inspiration we shared,the whiskey wine and wonderful laughs,though from the bloody miserable songs,you'd hardly believe it.  :D
Bass duties were undertaken by my much missed son Colin,who now lives in Oz,but I still make use of his bass skills via the wonders of dropbox.

The album title comes from the saying,'you can't polish a turd',with the addition of..'but you can roll it in glitter'. That final accolade goes to Paul Boyd,the erstwhile owner of this esteemed forum,as it was his fair hands wot did take the songs and make them presentable.

These days recorded music appears to be of no monetary value at all,so if you want the album,you may have it for whatever you wish to pay,or not. I'm done playing for money anyway.

Thanks so much for enriching my life over the recent past.  :)

Bandcamp link..

https://vancemagill.bandcamp.com/album/rolled-in-glitter-2

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:55:40 AM »
Completing an album is hard work! Congratulations! I have claimed my copy. :D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:56:59 AM »
I forgot to add: I think people who have gone through the most adverse experiences are often those who create the most amazing art of whatever kind.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
Good for you Skub.
Nice to have got it together.

Good luck!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
Ta Vicki and VC.  :)

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your story, it takes courage to do so. This life beats on some more than others but when despair inspires it often leads to truth...and that's priceless!
Looking forward to visiting your album armed with a little context now.
Peace dude and congratulations on completing the album
Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
Well done Skub, it takes commitment and perseverance to work things through on your own, let alone with other animate beings! Hope your back story is a source of inspiration rather than regret.......
Well done!
Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
Davy, it's so difficult to express what you've just done and I admire you greatly. For some bizarre reason we seem to be able to be at our most creative when we are at the extremes, I certainty can say that that applies to myself. I will greatly enjoy listening to your album. Totally agree with yo that the forum has been so supportive and inspirational, although I've never met any of you guys you never fail to cheer me up  :)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:20:59 PM »
Nah, thank you Skub.

For sharing, backstory and music.

Ps. Crumbled walls are a good thing. How else would we expect anyone to see us?  ;)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »
thats such a moving biog Davy & yet you are such a joker here it quite shocked me to tears...
i loved the title till you told me what it meant!!
i will buy your 'bloody miserable' album as you like to call it ,as long as the cover is not as revolting as the title  ;D
let me finish FAWM first tho
thats Diggers album aswell... & i always meant to get Johns so i hope hes got some left
i will be penniless!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »
Hello Skub,

Songwriting is a wonderful activity.  I always thought that I was in the game to be signed to a record company, have one or two hit records and generally find acceptance.  In reality, I can see that with maturity, I needed to be a writer to help me understand the mentally abusive relationship that I had with my father who was alcohol dependant.  Songwriting really is as much about reflection, as it is about creativeness.  It allowed me to move forward with my life, express feeling of love, understanding and empathy for others.  It helped me to forgive my Dad and to be whole again.  It gave me the skill and understanding required to help my marriage last for 26 years and it steered me safely home when my marriage ended four years ago, allowing me to heal and prepare myself for a wonderful relationship with my new fiancĂ©e. Without songwriting, it would literally have been game over in the search for happiness.  I hope  that songwriting  continues to enhance your life in many ways.  :). The real value has nothing at all to do with monetary gain. :-) music can be worth much, much more.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:13:02 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:47:47 PM »
Ta everyone,thanks for your insight.  :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:12 AM »
Hell of a story, eloquently told. I've heard enough of your music to know this will be great, and have happily purchased. Look forward to listening tonight with a glass of Rioja whilst cooking a paella  ;D

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
Thanks Bill, I hope both wine and songs went down well!

Mike67

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
I hadn't thought about turds in quite that way; they do tend to get a bit of a raw deal.  Very moving back story and brave to open up like that. Has a quick listed to a couple of tracks - beautiful's the word. I for one will be purchasing.

Mike